It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio senate passes bill to end bargaining of unions and their right to strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Ohio Senate Republicans pass collective bargaining overhaul by narrowest margin; bill moves to the Ohio House

First, they kicked out two ``dissenters`` from the senate committee who wouldn't approve of the bill and appointed two who would vote for it.

Support for the controversial plan, known as Senate Bill 5, was so splintered among majority Republicans that Senate President Tom Niehaus was forced to yank two GOP dissenters from Senate committees earlier Wednesday so the bill could move to the floor for a full vote.

That's very sick.

Then what the bill does :

The bill redefines what contract terms public workers can collectively bargain with their employer. Wages can still be negotiated. Health care benefits, pension pick-ups and other provisions, however, will be off the table. And management can decide to negotiate other terms, including safety forces' equipment.

The bill also bans public workers from striking, establishes penalties for striking -- including jail time -- and establishes a new system for resolving labor disputes. Instead of binding arbitration, the employer's legislative body, such as a city council, would decide whether to side with a union or management.

A merit-based pay system would be established . If workers are laid off, length of employment could not be the only factor under consideration.

No more strikes... and if you do, jail time... and a city council would decide whether to side with the union or management? How couldn't they side with the ``management`` EVERY SINGLE TIME? Disgusting.

And for the cops :

Opponents also worried about the impact on safety forces. Union leaders for police and firefighters said the law would leave it up to management whether quality of equipment, such as bulletproof vests, could be bargained.

If equipment breaks down when there's a fire and they can't do their job, that's gonna be who's fault? Nobody's of course... And if the bulletproof vests are crappy and end up killing more cops, that's gonna be who's fault? Nobody's of course...

And it will probably pass :

Six Republicans joined all 10 Senate Democrats in voting against the bill, resulting in a final vote of 17-16. The bill now moves to the House of Representatives, which has a 59-40 Republican majority.

I am for the reform of unions, but this is utter BS. Ending the right to strike? This is just sick...
edit on 4-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I was keeping tabs on the protests the other day in Columbus. About 8,500 showed up on Tuesday to protest.

Heres a few pictures I found earlier while looking through news articles about the protests.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5dee3acbb77.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c578c2eab91.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef8f962b807d.jpg[/atsimg]

I had no idea they kicked out 2 people that were going to vote against it. I guess its basically mob rule nowdays.

Firefighters and police equipment are able to be "bargained" if this passes......right. The government has our best interests at heart and cares about the safety of the people........ummmm....hmmmm

edit: Oh and dont worry, if the workers think conditions are bad and start striking (since they pretty much lost all collective barganing rights), theyve got a fine jail cell for them.

edit on 4-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Starred and flagged. This #e is about enough to make me change from being a registered Republican to an Independent, and I campaigned for Reagan and Ollie North. It's damned sickening and transparent as hell. At a time when American jobs are going overseas at a record pace ("out sourcing") and unemployment is high as hell, the best thing the lousy b@stards can do is screw with collective bargaining? People need to wake the hell up.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Acording to the polls there just isnt much public support for this union busting. Wait till 2012 the dems will get voted back in and roll most these laws back .Thats the buety of democracy you can vote the bums out with a lil patiance.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Welcome to the GOP America.

They have done their propaganda job well, and the remnants of the middle class are lining up to join their own execution party.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Yay! Corporate wins again! We lose another battle for freedom. Next the right to reproduce or chew gum.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Kinda sad everyone focuses on Wisconsin and nobody gives a rat butt about Ohio uh?

People are that much controlled by the MSM? If the MSM doesn't talk about something, it doesn't exist or what?

new topics

top topics

join