It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cant sign into youtube unless linked to google?!?!?!?!?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I went to sign into my youtube account today and it told me I could not sign in and reach my favorites and such unless i liked it to a Google account. That seemed a bit strange to me. Is this just a merger of sorts or some sort of mass data collecting/spying scheme? A way to spy on the one last bit of freedom we have, the open and unedited internet? A way to track what we watch and how much of it? I don't like it and it doesn't feel right.

Ami nuts and reading into it or does my theory have some credence? Aight guys, light me up?

Namaste.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PjZ101

I get in fine,
I thought google owned youtube
and might want to ask youtube tech support

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PjZ101

I'm not sure, but this is the message I got when trying to sign in under just my youtube account without signing in with my gmail account.

Please use your Google Account ([email protected]) password to sign in. We no longer support signing in with your old YouTube password

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
ya i told them too stuff it, hey im an old guy who remembers free internet.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PjZ101

As Google owns YouTube, it is probably simply a tactic to popularise Gmail and get all of YouTube's customers.

Google makes a large percentage of it's income from advertising, and Gmail includes targeted ads.

As an intelligence gathering exercise, I couldn't see it being too successful because a lot of people would open up a Gmail account for the sole purpose of logging in to YouTube, therefore there wouldn't be a lot of intelligence to be gleaned from these accounts.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
ya i told them too stuff it, hey im an old guy who remembers free internet.

...Gmail is free.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
You realize that YouTube is edited many times a day, eg abusive comments, etc, right?
Even this site has threads and/or posts deleted daily. There are even some legal things you can't discuss on this website,I.e. You can't say you just drank a bottle of cough syrup, containing dextromethorphan.
Free speech is an illusion, especially on the Internet.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
try signing into a gmail account with the wrong password a few times...

They lock you out and the only way to get to your account that day is to give them a cellphone number for them to send a password to...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
If you have more than one account on Youtube, do NOT link those accounts. There is an option below that says something like "Ask me later." I've been clicking that option for over a year because of a NIGHTMARE that followed my clicking of the "Connect these accounts" link.

I have three Youtube accounts. I have one strictly for family videos, one for short clips and video responses to forum posts, and one I use for professional purposes. If you have more than one account and you click that "Connect" link, you will be restricted to that one Youtube account you just connected to, and you will be locked out of any others you might have. It took some pretty imaginative technical calisthenics to get that mess unmessed. Just TRY to get someone from Google on the phone, come on, try!

It's not necessary, don't do it.

Just my .02

EDIT: If anyone HAS clicked the Connect button and now regrets it, U2U me and I'll hook you up with the thread where someone from "Customer Service" FINALLY helped me out.
edit on 3/4/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

what i meant by unedited was the freedom to post on whatever topic no matter how strange it may be for anyone to see without fear of being tracked or spied upon. Certain sites have there own policies just as on here that mods will edit or omit certain things that they believe not to be in the best interests of all members of that given forum.

My biggest thing is why do i HAVE to submit my regular yahoo email address to google when all i want to do is watch youtube videos with my account that didn't require me to report to google in the first place?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

There is an option below that says something like "Ask me later." yes there WAS wasn't there, well not anymore , at least not for me,, hope they do the work and transfer the accounts themselves, its just a way of deleating old dead accounts,, real old school.. lazy,, but thats programers for you,,,

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PjZ101

Google owns Youtube, so they're asking you to merge two accounts with the same company. Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. I can't even see a conspiracy side to this or anything since they're the same company, probably trying to do some optimization.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by PjZ101

My biggest thing is why do i HAVE to submit my regular yahoo email address to google when all i want to do is watch youtube videos with my account that didn't require me to report to google in the first place?

If you owned a franchise restaurant like McDonald's would you want to see you costumers
coming in and sitting at your table eating burger king,
or would you make sure they are getting your service
and not just using your tables for what ever they wanted?
edit on 3/4/2011 by EvilBat because: took out the reply too part of reply so noone mistakes I replyed to the wrong person

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Just click the 'google' logo at the top right, your in.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
reply to post by PjZ101

Google owns Youtube, so they're asking you to merge two accounts with the same company. Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. I can't even see a conspiracy side to this or anything since they're the same company, probably trying to do some optimization.

Well, the two accounts of mine that were disabled had Yahoo and Hotmail, respectively, as the contact info for each of those accounts. The one I signed up using Gmail worked fine after linking - with the exception that I could no longer sign out and then sign into another account.

The Youtube rep lady said that going strictly by the rules, no body is allowed more than one active Youtube account at a time. Fortunately for most of the people on the planet with internet access, "Youtube doesn't enforce that rule, " she said.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

They don't want people to have more than one account because it makes it infinitely easier to spam and/or advertise in comments. Seriously, if they didn't do things like that the comments sections would be overrun and even more useless than they currently are.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I stopped staying logged in to YouTube when they made you 'log in' via the google toolbar. No way.. I have a sneaking suspicion that would allow them to track every site/post/blog you visit. Sorry no.

But then I uninstalled the google toolbar, and reinstalled it, and now, I am logged into Youtube without being logged into googles crap. I like! maybe they changed it?

I also am a techie OC'er.. and disable GoogleToolbarhelper.exe, GoogleUpdate.exe and the service and the BHO helper in the task manager. I will update it myself thank you very much

In XP Pro, I have 23 Processes loaded... Keep it clean, fast and safe.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
These days, you can't create a YouTube account without giving them a phone number.
They will either text or call you to give you a confirmation code.
Without this code you can not activate your account.

You would have to go through some real hoops to create an anonymous youtube account it seems.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I noticed the change a few weeks ago. I haven't logged into youtube since they made the change. I don't care for the changes. I thought they wanted one email address for every account. I didn't really see the point but I guess they could be trying to stop spammers.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PjZ101

i get the same thing. what i do to get around it is hit the search button right after i sign in. that is how i get around the darn link thing

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join