It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bradley Manning could face death: For what?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I hope he does get the death penalty. Took a huge cache of classified and top secret documents and released them. If some activities in those cables happen to be illegal, doesn't matter. Many were NOT illegal and giving away that information to foreign nations is treason. Plain and simple.

See ya Manning

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by edog11

Discouraging/preventing/punishing corruption and illegal conduct is supposed to be the US government's own job but since said government is too corrupt to perform this task, men like Manning are feeling obliged to take over the task and to try to make a difference by giving us the people the truth so that we can demand reforms.

Maybe his defense will use this argument. In some countries he would have disappeared or had an accident without anyone knowing who he was. He will get a chance to defend himself and could be found not guilty of the charges. Maybe he knows who released the info and just claimed credit to be cool for once in his life. If he did release the material, he'll have to show that he was given an unlawful order not to release the information that he did. As he apparently went for quantity and wasn't selective about or even knew the extent of what he released, it might be tough for him to prove any philanthopic motives.
This squirrel will be in a cage for a while.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I honestly hope their are riots to free Manning.

Their needs to be.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
if they execute manning he will only go down in history as a brave martyr who gave his life in the name of clearancy.

he turned all the info to a respected award winning investigative reporter that so far has kept all the important secrets well out of the press and has only dropped a few lil funny nasties on the deserved offenders.

hell george bush exposed our countries own spies and they didn't give that prick the death penalty, they just sent him home with an honor guard for the rest of his life and a billion bucks...WTF

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

I have no freedom to take. I have all my freedom. I have an education. I have a very high paying job. I own a flat. I own two cars. I can drink alcohol on the street. I can smoke anywhere I like. My bars and clubs are open until 7am. I can buy a prostitute if I so please.

And guess what, I don't live in "the land of the free".

*SNIP*

Mod Note: Responding to a actioned post is also actionable
edit on 3/4/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
I honestly hope their are riots to free Manning.

Their needs to be.

It is unlikely that there will be riots to free Manning especially as he will most probably be sentenced to jail time. Would you participate in a riot and risk your personal safety, likely with no effect on the sentence, to make a point? Where do you expect such riots will occur?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

I have no freedom to take. I have all my freedom. I have an education. I have a very high paying job. I own a flat. I own two cars. I can drink alcohol on the street. I can smoke anywhere I like. My bars and clubs are open until 7am. I can buy a prostitute if I so please.

I think you have material possessions and status confused with real liberty\freedom.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

It is unlikely that there will be riots to free Manning especially as he will most probably be sentenced to jail time.

Probably not. There are more important things to attend to like doing exactly as we're told and American Idol.

Would you participate in a riot and risk your personal safety, likely with no effect on the sentence, to make a point?

Yes, I would announce on the internet my illegal intentions.

Where do you expect such riots will occur?

Iowa?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Want to tell me what my true freedom is then? What am I missing out on? What is freedom? Freedom is different to everyone.

The only two things where I feel my freedoms are violated is the fact that drugs are illegal, and that I need a visa to go to many places, which is a pain in the butt. But besides that, I have no complaints.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
reply to post by dalan.

Want to tell me what my true freedom is then? What am I missing out on? What is freedom? Freedom is different to everyone.

The only two things where I feel my freedoms are violated is the fact that drugs are illegal, and that I need a visa to go to many places, which is a pain in the butt. But besides that, I have no complaints.

"That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, IS NOT A SUFFICIENT WARRANT....

Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."
-John Stuart Mill

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

As I agree. And in which case the only way my freedoms are being held above me right now is that drugs are illegal, and which doesn't really upset me at the moment because of the healthy lifestyle I choose to follow.

Everyone's perception of freedom is different.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

reply to post by dalan.

As I agree. And in which case the only way my freedoms are being held above me right now is that drugs are illegal, and which doesn't really upset me at the moment because of the healthy lifestyle I choose to follow.

Everyone's perception of freedom is different.

It should still upset you that Governments around the world have taken it upon themselves, for quite some time now, to make decisions for their citizens based on the reasoning that "they know what's best for us."

Not just with things like drugs either.

Even simple matters like "don't build that structure on YOUR property, its not up to code and we need to keep you safe. If you do, we will be forced to take it."

And onAnd onAnd onAnd onAnd onAnd onAnd onAnd onAnd onAnd onAnd onAnd on...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The corrupt bastards in dizzy city who started the illegal / immoral wars and oppress the american public and world should be tried for crimes against humanity and sentenced to appropriate penalties..
They just upset manning exposed part of their dirty laundry.. He should be lauded for doing the right thing..

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Stupidity at its finest.

Kill the guy that exposed criminals, you're making the best choice for your future.

The guy helped to kill people by releasing those documents ! Who ? Eeeeeh, we still don't know.
No mention of the three dictatures that were overthrown because of that same act of treason, plus the conflicts of interests and other criminal actions that were exposed.

He's a martyr, no less.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by edog11

What he did was illegal and traitorous. He deserves every punishment reserved for traitors in my opinion, including and up to death. How do we know what other secrets he divulged and how many people he put at risk? I think I understand what he thought he was attempting to accomplish but it does not make him a hero by any means. This is of course coming from an American's perspective and not that of American enemies.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Originally posted by edog11
Doesn't the Oath of Allegiance state "to protect the USA from enemies foreign and domestic"?

Yes it does. Now are we supposed to enter a game where it is left up to individual interpretation to decide who is or is not a foreign or domestic enemy? Please inform me of what legal position you hold to make such a decision?

Are you saying these leaks didn't prove the Government is a lying bunch of corrupt scum??

I thought that was illegal....

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

Took a huge cache of classified and top secret documents and released them.

What "Top Secret" documents..???

Sorry mate, it's your friendly Government that gives top secret stuff to other countries..
Ask the Chinese...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
He exposed the US military helicopter gun-ship murder of innocent civilians, and for that the US military will have it's revenge.

We no longer hold ourselves or our military or our government accountable, we just line the dissidents and the whistleblowers up against a wall and fire.

The next time you see government troops committing an act of evil, be a good little American and keep your mouth shut. Don't rock the boat.

What he did was illegal and traitorous. He deserves every punishment reserved for traitors in my opinion, including and up to death. How do we know what other secrets he divulged and how many people he put at risk? I think I understand what he thought he was attempting to accomplish but it does not make him a hero by any means. This is of course coming from an American's perspective and not that of American enemies.

You know who else was engaged in illegal activity and a traitor to their country? George Washington. Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, the entire continental congress, every member of the colonial army. Had Washington lost the revolutionary war, England would have hanged him for the traitor he was.

Sometimes you just have to do what is right, and damn the consequences.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

reply to post by edog11

Mr. Manning would already be dead if he pulled this stunt in any other country. What he did was illegal. You do something that is illegal, you pay the consequences. Doesn't matter if you agree with the politics behind it, legal is legal, and illegal is illegal.

This is exactly right, he did it. Assange and wikileaks, well that's a different issue. They did not steal the data they just published it big difference!. Manning was in a position of trust and breached that trust. He probably even took an oath or signed something to say he would not do it, but he did it anyway. Wikileaks did not agree or sign to anything, therefore they should not be touched over this.

Some country's such as Australia have laws against "receiving stolen goods" goods in this instance are the data Manning allegedly stole,Julian to pale to be Aussie Assange and wikileaks have made $$$$ (donations) from said stolen goods,so one could possibly say they are also guilty of "selling stolen goods ",a long stretch perhaps i will admit that,Now i know everyone one has a woody over Jules and wikifreaks but what sensitive military info have they received (if any),that may put American (or any coalition country's) military members at risk? Have they sold it to the enemy ? probably not,but how many have seen this stolen info and can they all be trusted to keep their mouths shut ?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join