It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is what we perceive to be a "Dream" More?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
You think therefore you perceive you are, But could you really be Perceiving yourself to be what you are when you could infact be another conciousness merely "Dreaming"

(Thanks to TechVampire For the following Qoute that he decided to Hurt my brain with one Day)

Zhuangzi--

One night, Zhuangzi dreamed of being a butterfly — a happy butterfly, showing off and doing things as he pleased, unaware of being Zhuangzi. Suddenly he awoke, drowsily, Zhuangzi again. And he could not tell if it was Zhuangzi who had dreamt he was a butterfly or hes the butterfly dreaming he is Zhuangzi. But there must be some difference between them! This is called 'the transformation of things'.

During our dreams we do not know we are dreaming. We may even dream of interpreting a dream. Only on waking do we know it was a dream. Only after the great awakening will we realize that this is the great dream. And yet fools think they are awake, presuming to know that they are rulers or herdsmen. How dense! You and Confucius are both dreaming, and I who say you are a dream am also a dream. Such is my tale. It will probably be called preposterous, but after ten thousand generations there may be a great sage who will be able to explain it, a trivial interval equivalent to the passage from morning to night.

I have had dreams That have seemed as real to me as supposed reality when a have awoken as im sure you all have too, I am Thinking that maybe there is more to Dreaming than Meets the Eye, Could it infact be another Life we live when our minds Begin to dream?, Its a Odd thought i admit but i find it very Curious that when we awake we remember vague memories of our dreams and when im "Dreaming" I can distinctly remember been "Awake" Occasionally.
The images my mind is making seems as real as anything else untill i tell myself "It was only a dream".

I was Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this Or could help me elaborate more

edit on 3/3/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

i percieve all reality is meerly the weaving of contiousness into different forms, patterns, beings exc. on all scales. when we sleep beings who are not asleep see our physical body sleeping but they have no idea what out contiosness is going threw. when we die we may wake up only remembering the most memorable moment in our past life, or maybe wake up in the closest possible dimention of possibillities that did not lead up to your dying. who knows. nobody who had died completely has came back to tell the tale. and what a tale that would be. the mystery deepens the further you look. but if you stand at the edge of the abyss your reflection will become more clear the longer you stare.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I have asked this same thing so many times.
I also wonder that if say i am in a dream now then this dream wouldn't be connected to \any of my other dreams. so that means that this dream i would be in right now would come with its own set of memories. Well then again when i think im dreaming my dreams usually have their own memories. but that means that i just thought up this whole coplex of a world by myself. then again thats what it seems like in my "dreams". so well this is very complicated... mabye its completely different? that we dream and thats what were in now and then when we sleep we dream in our dreams. so so complicated.

I once had a dream and then i woke up... but then somehow i was still dreaming. and i woke up again. and AGAIN i was still dreaming. so then i woke up again. this happed a good 50 times. I thought i was in a twilight zone or something like that. So mabye there are layers of a universal mind.

I like this thread.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pryed -eyed-one

I wonder what would happen after you die with your mind if it is a huge system of dreams.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I wonder if anyone else has had dreams like mine where whatever is happening in the dream at the time gets so absolutely ridiculous or frightening that you awaken within the dream to tell yourself you are dreaming and then wake up, shake your head , and say to yourself where the (bleep) did THAT come from?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have considered the possibility that our dreams are actually experiences of our parallel existences, that we share a collective consciousness with our alternate selves so subtle that we are only aware of it when we are asleep.

Some dreams may seem too unusual to consider as an actuality, but if parallel universes are created for the movement of each subatomic particle as some believe, then I suppose pretty much anything is possible.

I don't actually believe this but I think its an interesting thought.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

thats very close t what i have. Its like i am asleep and dreaming and i wake up. and am still dreaming so i wake up again. and this loop just keeps going and going and going. its very horrible and i hope never to have that dream(s) again. it seriously felt like weeks that i was in the dream, but i had only slept a few hours at most.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zeon9010

I definitely think dreams are more than just what we perceive them to be. I will always have dreams that I have had in the past over and over again.

About two months ago, I had a dream of a man telling me that if I see this certain type of snake, then I should not move whatsoever.... I had a dream about a week ago of just me in front of the snake that he described (somehow, i knew this was the one he was advising me about) and I could not control my arms and the snake attacked me
Those two dreams gave me the idea that our dreams could possibly be connected with each other somehow, yet we have not figured out how. Very interesting subject. "Dreams" are amazing

My dreams are mostly very random indeed. Usually containing my girlfriend though.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I am very curious about dreams myself, and I feel that there is more to Dreaming that we do not know; to me it is one of Life's many mysteries.

Sometimes dreams do feel more real than Real Life to me, and often I just Know certain things in dreams in a way that does make you sometimes wonder if it is like another Life or place where you can connect to Other Memories(ancestral)/Consciousness(es)/Part Of The World/Etc.

Who knows? But I think it is worth exploring these mysteries.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the Posts Peeps

I think there is a Lot to be understood in the Universe still, And dreaming is just one of the Many Mysteries thats out there, I myself have just awoken from another dream that seemed "real" whilst i was in it and i awoke wondering why i awoke, But dreams are brilliant, if only there was a way of manipulating them in order to allow us to Overcome fears Or face Obsticles

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
Thanks for the Posts Peeps

I think there is a Lot to be understood in the Universe still, And dreaming is just one of the Many Mysteries thats out there, I myself have just awoken from another dream that seemed "real" whilst i was in it and i awoke wondering why i awoke, But dreams are brilliant, if only there was a way of manipulating them in order to allow us to Overcome fears Or face Obsticles

Well I have had some dreams where I have faced some fears and obstacles, which helped me in the real world; and most of those, if not all of them, were non-lucid dreams.

Lucid dreaming would be one clear way of manipulating dreams, that would allow you to do that, but it takes practice for many of us to be able to make dreams go lucid & then manipulate the dream world & dream characters.

But usually my dreams deal with certain issues without me trying/going lucid/consciously manipulating the dream world, but I would like to have more lucid dreams; but I have not taken the time to practice many of the techniques enough yet, so I only rarely have lucid dreams.

new topics

top topics

join