It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama cares about the NFL Lockout.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
For those of you who care about the NFL, this should be interesting. As you know, the CBA deadline is being extended to 24 hours so the NFLPA and owners can finally come to an agreement on how to divide up their fans' hard-earned money. The problem lies in the owners wanting an extra 2 billion or so on top of the money (about 1 billion or so to cover expenses) they receive. Of course, this means the players will tug back and demand more money.

The "man of action" Obama decided to voice his opinion on the disagreement stating:

"We've got owners, most of whom are worth close to $1 billion, you've got players who are making millions of dollars. My working assumption at a time when people are having to cut back, compromise, and worry about making the mortgage and, you know, paying for their kids' college education, is that the two parties should be able to work it out without the President of the United States intervening.

"I'm a big football fan, but I also think that for an industry that's making $9 billion a year in revenue, they can figure out how to divide it up in a sensible way. And be true to their fans, who are the ones who, obviously, allow for all the money that they're making. So my expectation and hope is that they'll resolve it without me intervening, because it turns out I've got a lot of other stuff to do."

You gotta love that last line. "because it turns out..." - It sounds like he is surprised or something. I'm amazed Obama is saying he may intervene to deal with this "dire" situation.

I don't care if there is a lock out or not. I used to be a big fan of football too but with all the ads and the new rules to protect certain players (Tom Brady) which softened the NFL as a whole, I've lost interest in it. I also hate how the NFL is profiting off things they are against (such as violent hits).

Your thoughts?

edit on 3-3-2011 by DevilJin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

I remember hearing Obama saying multiple times before he was elected that he was going to try and set up a playoff system for college American football if elected
Joke or not, if he followed through, it would have been his best accomplishment thus far.

I agree. These owners and players are multimillionaires. And they cannot agree on money problems when the average Joe is just scraping by? They should be less selfish and remember who is giving them their money. If the season doesn't play out because of this, I think it's time for the fans to strike their teams, and refuse to attend the games after the strike is settled.

I don't particularly care, I prefer hockey and football myself...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
reply to post by DevilJin

I remember hearing Obama saying multiple times before he was elected that he was going to try and set up a playoff system for college American football if elected
Joke or not, if he followed through, it would have been his best accomplishment thus far.

I agree. These owners and players are multimillionaires. And they cannot agree on money problems when the average Joe is just scraping by? They should be less selfish and remember who is giving them their money. If the season doesn't play out because of this, I think it's time for the fans to strike their teams, and refuse to attend the games after the strike is settled.

I don't particularly care, I prefer hockey and football myself...

Oh, that BCS playoffs will never happen. Too much money involved, which is why college football isn't as entertaining as it could be.

While I agree with you, unfortunately the people don't matter - just their money. I agree with your idea in that the fans should make their voices heard and refuse to attend games. However, this is America
and the average American football fan could care less about the CBA so long as football season starts inevitably.

join