It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand operated printing press.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Short-comings of radio in TSHTF scenario:
-needs electrical source on both ends
-needs a stable radio environment (no coronal mass ejections, no jamming devices from government/military)
-only heard by people who are waiting to listen for signal
-can instantly be triangulated on, particularly by law enforcement and military

>only conveys information at the speed of a person's talking / listening.

Strengths of printing:
-can be prepared in a distant location, or hidden for weeks/months until delivered
-can be distributed piecemeal
-can be hidden by the receiver
-a potentially permanent record (handbills spray-mounted to walls must be removed by hand by the authorities)

>can "store" information for later retrieval.
>remains after the initial effort.

Things that you might want to print in an emergency, with no power:
-pamphlets with basic emergency medical information: how to treat epidemic disease, how to sterilize water, etc.
-maps of refugee stations, food distribution points.
-pamphlets on identifying military equipment and units in occupied areas
-fliers on gun maintenance, etc.
-political manifestos
-public safety placards: (minefield, contaminated water, curfew hours, checkpoint ahead, etc.)
-lists of phrases in a second language
-instructions on use of morse code, for novices using flashlights, etc.
-Identification badges
-coupons, bureaucratic forms (legal documents,claim forms, membership papers)
-tactical and operational maps
-"one time pads and keys" - cryptographic tools for sending coded messages over clear radio
-money

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
One issue with radio, if you are REALLY paranoid, is that the transmission source could be located via triangulation or similar methods. If you're in some sort of natural disaster SHTF scenario, like Hurricane Katrina for instance, that's not a problem, but if it's the government that causes the SHTF scenario, you probably don't want a radio transmission broadcasting your exact location.

Honestly if the SHTF scenario is martial law, standing around handing anti-government fliers would be more dangerous than a portable radio transmitter. You can set it up in a public place to loop the message until the battery is drained. Even if they find it no one gets pinched.
edit on 4-3-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

Radio pirates in Europe have tried this; but the cost of a transmitter makes it so they are not disposable. The British government developed gear specially suited to triangulating in on homemade broadcast equipment, and could frequently pinpoint within 3 minutes. Anarchists in some areas began mobile broadcast units, but this reduced coverage to the point where pirate radio is pretty much dead now.

If you want to try it, the excellent (printed) book "Radio Is My Bomb: A DIY manual for pirates" has diagrams and even parts numbers for building your own equipment, as well as advice for foiling the authorities. It is dated, from the early 90's, because that was when the British learned how to squelch broadcast free speech.
edit on 4-3-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Thanks for the help! I couldn't explain what I was talking about and you did it very well. Usually I have entirely too much to say, but for the life of me couldn't come up with good reasons for a printing operation, even though I have been thinking about it for a long time now. You should've started this thread, probably would've been much more informative. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
An interesting topic that I've never seen covered by sociologists and historians is the use of what I might call "leaflet wars" by insurgents.

Basically, you print up poster on regular photocopy paper, single color. You have enough detail so that it is a work of art, and not just a slogan. Then, you turn kids loose with a stack of sheets and a can of "spray mount," which is like a can of spray paint, except that aerosol glue comes out. It is incredibly sticky, and if you saturate a surface, basically makes a decoupage of whatever leaflet you stick in the glue---it must be removed with a wire brush or even a razor blade.

The IRA had one in 80's Northern Ireland; a half-dozen different versions by different printers made them up to say "You Are A Legitimate Target." They wouldn't merely post one, but a grid of 3 x 3 or 4x4. The authority would scrape them off, but it would leave a scar behind. And if even part of one of them remained, the message was intact.

Factions in Beirut did a similar one a decade later, in the same style---posting a wall of them, replicated over and over. I think it said something cryptic like "the true battlefield is within your heart."

At first, the occupier is quite diligent in removal; often using water cannons and paying locals to remove their own handiwork. But over time, it quits being a priority. They try painting over them, then just scarring a few of them. And finally ignoring them. If you are in the leaflet zone every day, you get a feel for which side is winning. Every time, the insurgents put up more posters than authority can remove. And the struggle becomes a metaphor for the occupier losing control.

The psychological effect should never be overlooked, particularly where the authorities have tried to cover the broadsides up. Their cover slowly weathers away, revealing the original message, which re-asserts itself over time. Standing on a street where you are not welcome, such a sign has a real impact on your thinking.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I guess that as in all preparation for the SHTF it depends on the actual S hitting a particular F.

In case of us against nature without nature knocking out our electronics and with the government still on our side a radio will not be hunted down instead it may be a great way to contact rescue services.

If it is us against them and they are not big government but other groups of survivalists (low tech) then radio would be a great way to have scouts report anything to base camp. Even if humans pull together and there is no antaganism, radio would still be a great way to have members of the community stay in touch, relay info or ask for help if they are in trouble. As far as one way communication everyone would find out through word of mouth what day and time to tune in for community broadcasts.

Now as for the OP and using posters to get info or dis-info out there I think it would take a good size organization to get this done. Not saying that it doesn't work but printing on a printing press takes a fair amount of knowledge and effort and getting them up on the walls just adds to this.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

I hadn't thought about doing that. I just imagined doing it like a ham radio operator out of your own basement, and of course you'd get busted that way if 'they' took objection to your content. Doing it your way with some kind of prerecorded message makes a lot more sense.

edit: hmm, just read dr strangelove's post about the cost. I suppose if you really wanted to do it there is no technological barrier, but yeah, the cost might be problematic.
edit on 5-3-2011 by DragonsDemesne because: added cost part

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

Yeah I was wondering how true the price thing is and they are expensive but I don't see why. They are priced in the hundreds of dollars but a 4 watt ham radio (which is transmitter and reciever) on amazon is $28. I looked for a small transmitter schematic and found one here and looking at the parts list and surching surplus sites (of course in a real SHTF situation you would probably scavange parts from dead electronics) I could see someone making one for less than $5.

Seeing the short range also made me think about another idea. Posters hung up to inform need the people to walk near the place where these are posted. The same could be done with a short range transmitter. Those in the know would walk with their fm radio tuned to a certain frequency and stop at a certain bus stop or park bench or something and get the info and the low power would keep it off of the governments scanners.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Just a warning........

It would not be wise to try to spread dis-info with posters.

When the first people find out that what is on the posters is blatantly wrong, they will tell other people. Word of mouth will spread faster than you can put up the posters. Pretty soon, you are going to run across a person that has already been alerted to the “fake” posters, and when they see that you are the one putting them up, then you may be on the short end of the stick. You better have a good excuse! Depending on the damage your posters have caused, you may be eating some lead for supper.

I would also say it would not be wise to spread dis-info with anything (radio or otherwise) in SHTF conditions.

You can’t dispense information without someone seeing you, or knowing where you are at. Someone will see you putting up posters, or recognize your voice on the radio. And in SHTF conditions, people are on edge, and they will show unpredictable reactions to an unwanted perturbance. Their reaction can be way overblown to the damage that was actually done. If they feel in any way that you are putting their lives at greater risk for your own gain, they can and will use lethal force.

So the only one you are probably putting at greater risk by putting up dis-info, is yourself.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In the US, shortwave radio is not widely used by consumers. To reach the common car radio or handset in the US, you need to broadcast over AM or FM bands.

AM radios can be built by an earnest noob (When I was young there was a company called HeathKit, that sold kits you soldiered together to learn how radios work. But that's another thread). FM broadcasting is much more complicated, because you are modulating the frequency itself, and end up generating two signals that have to be synced up. For various reasons, it is MUCH easier to triangulate in on FM transmitters.

Ham radio (shortwave) is the choice if you are trying to locate groups who were prepared beforehand. Probably less than 1% of the US population has any experience with ham radios, so you'd almost be better off with a standard CB radio (which has really poor range).

Shortwave has a global reach, and I keep a shortwave crank-powered radio in my safe room. I get it out at times when I want to find out about world events without having the news pre-filtered by the associated press.

Funny how this thread degenerated into a "print vs. radio" debate. Radio pirates in Holland used to mount fliers on walls and hand them out, featuring broadcast times and frequencies. So they had a 'do what works best' outlook.

A printing press is a fun tool. I googled a hand operated "Kelly" type that goes for a couple of hundred bucks, and is suitable for jobs "from 20 to 500 copies." That would be great for coordinating group behavior in an emergency. I can imagine printing a "This house has been cleared" poster for people doing disaster recovery (Like they did after Katrina, turning off gas and electric appliances in all homes in a neighborhood before reconnecting the utilities). You post the sign on the front door, and check the boxes for what you did in the house, i.e., turned off the breaker box, etc.

Also useful for remotely teaching a skill involved in responding to a specific crisis, i.e., how to purify drinking water, or how to tell the difference between dysentery and scarlet fever. Or when and where the next food distribution will take place.

Someone mentioned word of mouth. The problem with that is that desperate people conflate the news. A truck of water bottles turns into a UN relief convoy, which turns into martial law imposed by the US marines. People are running for the hills, and all it was, was a bottled water truck, hoping to quench their thirst.

Just like how YOU have been misled about the chaos in the superdome: if you go back and read the Katrina news AFTER the superdome was cleared, you discover that NO ONE was murdered, and probably no one was raped, either. But then, the media just told what they had been told, but someone who heard it from someone "who was in there."....

Mass print helps people get uniform information, and keep it after it is initially disemminated.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I am a long time printer both offset and letterpress. Some of the methods offered are very good options but allow me to give you some food for thought. Letterpress printing does have a few advantages in a situation where supply's are non existent.

First and most important is ink, where to get it or how to make you own. The old time printers of the 1800's made there own using the soot from the oil lamps mixing it with various carriers available to them. The "letters" Or hand set type is reusable and if used properly can last a very long time. The older presses are very well built I would think replacement parts should not be a problem as they are easily made. The problem you will run into are the rollers thought the old time pressman did make there own using molds and easy to obtain materials.
Even paper can be made if need be.

In an environment where no supply's are available other options fall short.

Just my two cents worth

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Funny how this thread degenerated into a "print vs. radio" debate.

I don't see this so much as a "print vs. radio". The OP started out asking about a hand operated press. I offered a link to a simple press that would work for half page prints. He went on to refine the question to poster sized official looking prints.

As dkwlttrman posted above it takes equipment, supplies and of course know how. A certain amount of organization. Now a town coming together and setting up a local print shop to inform their citizens is great. Informative posters, flyers, even small books on useful information and it can be saved for future use but probably not the best for the OPs intended purpose.

Now you wanting to tell the tech that is going to put that thing together that you got the stuff? Send a trusted messenger.

Or you wanting to find out if the hunting trip is still on with Jimbo that lives up the mountain and there are no cell phones? Radio Jimbo and see what's up.

Want to organize a national rebellion to take down the countries oppressive regime? Not gonna happen if the best you can come up with is a hand operated printing press.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

No harder than tracking down the source of distribution of fliers either (capture one, make him talk)...

A bunch of fried radios don't do much good unless you just need something to chunk at the zombie horde.

I'm sure there'd be plenty of radios around that were off when the EMP hit...and would work just fine in many cases (depending on location, intensity of the pulse, etc.).

I will agree though, that for distributing reference info to a small group, a small printing press would be ideal. Such as a newsletter for a survival coop...manuals for certain tasks, etc. In this kind of situation, a small press is actually a godsend.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Want to organize a national rebellion to take down the countries oppressive regime? Not gonna happen if the best you can come up with is a hand operated printing press.

Thanks for bringing that up. Let me direct your attention to The history of the "Solidarity Movement in Poland". It all Started because a crane operator and an electrician (Lech Walesa) were fired for complaining about wages being held flat while prices were raised by the government itself:

Despite nation-wide censorship and the severance of all phone connections between Gdansk and the rest of the country, several underground presses succeeded in covering the story and spreading the shipyard workers' message throughout Poland and the Eastern Bloc. On August 16th, several other strike committees joined the Gdansk shipyard workers and the following day 21 demands of the unified strike committee were put forward. These demands went far beyond the scope of local concern, calling for the legal formation of independent trade unions, an end to media censorship, the right to strike, new rights for the Church, the freeing of political prisoners, and improvements in the national health system. The movement's news-sheet, Solidarnosc, began being printed on the shipyard printing press at a run of 30,000 copies.

emphasis added by dr_strangecraft

And it didn't just take down the government in Poland; it also impacted Moscow.....

A printing press may not be the final answer, but sometimes it can be the first step that changes things.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Like I said it isn't radio vs. print, at least not for me. From your link:

Upon the arrest of the Solidarity leadership, more underground structures began to form, including Solidarity Radio and over 500 underground publications.

I did say that print is important in my last post but that it usually takes a group effort and I would say a good sized group to make it worthwhile and even more so if the aim is to print up fancy poster sized prints and not just a newsletter to get things started, like the Solidarity movement.

In a lot of situations a press is the best option but in the case of the OP a press is not practical. In other situations radio is probably a better option.
edit on 8-3-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join