It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand operated printing press.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think that if you wanted to spread info, or propaganda, during a SHTF scenario, a hand operated printing press would be a great thing to have on hand. This would obviously not be for your bug-out-bag, but I think the spreading of info, would be much easier with "flyers". I think that the press would only have to be the size of a regular sheet of paper, or even half that size, to be effective.

I have looked online and it seems that all antique letterset presses are extremely expensive and hard to find parts (the letters) for. Does anyone know of a modern small letterpress that is relatively inexpensive. I have seen small plate presses for like $60 and that wouldn't be good for sending out flyers.

If anyone has any info on where I could get a small press feel free to pass it on. Is there anything else you guys could think a small press would be good for in a SHTF scenario?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I think that such a press might be a more difficult and slow way to have some sort of news in a SHTF scenario. I would instead suggest it would be quicker and just as effective to have a manual typewriter and a spirit duplicator, or as it was commonly called, a ditto machine.

In elementary school, this was how the teachers made copies of papers. I don't know for sure the print volume although the wiki entry says for low-volume printing, but I just think that is because of the master copy, not operating capability. You could probably get at least 100 dittoed copies per master.

If your need is a few hundred to a few thousand, this might be a better alternative than a printing press. Plus, if you needed to relocate for some reason, I think it would be easier to move with a typewriter and ditto machine than a printing press.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Thanks, I will have to look into those options. I have seen some presses that are smaller than that ditto machine, but it might be cheaper to find and eaiser to operate.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Here is a website that shows a few different models (and other items.) They really aren't that big, but I don't know what table top printing press you are comparing them with.

Here is a manual one one that looks pretty compact.

I'm glad you brought this topic up. It was something I hadn't considered before.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

This is going to sound off the wall. Just as a warning.
But last summer I had the opportunity to go to alot of Estate sales and garage sales. Believe it or not I saw home printing presses along with letters and such at 3 different locations just in a 30 mile radius from my home over the course of a couple of months.

It may be worthwhile to contact any local auctioneers or estate sale companies in your area. Ask them if they know of any upcoming sales in your area that would have what you are looking for and if they don't ask them to keep your contact information to contact you when they do have something along those lines come up for sale so they can 'hold' it for you to come and look at. Just a thought.

Oh and by the way I was watching your thread on vertical wind turbines. I did not have the chance to post this there because I was waiting for my father to give me the link to the one he is currently working on. I know you've alread purchased one but thought maybe you would like to take a look at this one....just on the off chance.
Turbine

He says the nice thing about this one is the blades will fold when it starts to spin too hard so the whole thing does not come whizzing off in high winds.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
in the 20th cuentry they had these things called "radios" and "CB radios" idk if people still have them but they seem like they would be better than a printing press which has to be dilevered by hand.. you are better off just telling people, imo.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Screen printing is cheaper and easier than a printing press, but supplies could become hard to find(such as the emulsion). Block printing would also be an easy alternative as it's just a big stamp. Making paper is actually more difficult(well..time consuming) than the printing proccess.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
HAM radio is probably more effective though, don't you think?

With a printed publication, you have distribution worries, etc.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
true dat shizznit home dawg, if shtf im not exactly gunna be walking up to strangers askin if they want a flier

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'd go with the screen printing also, although I am a screen printer...
There's got to be an alternative to emulsion, thinking maybe pine sap or something....or just hand cut stencils...
but well, a nice ham radio would be less time consuming.

or better yet, there's a thread on ats that gives a little info about how we can have at least a primitive internet if they take down our internet.
of course, the internet, and the ham, would require your have electricity...
the screen printing, well, you don't need the electricity really, the ink can be hang dried if you use the right ink, and I imagine you would be going back to a more primitive form of ink also. and well, I'll have to look around and see if I can't find out what they used to use for emulsion.

I did go and hunt the internet for a little bit, and well, guess the primitives (screen printing dates back a few thousand years or so) used hand cut stencils. and well, one article stated that their screens were made from human hair....
so have fun with that one.
edit on 3-3-2011 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
i'm not talking about birthday party invitations. im just saying if u wanted to spread info to the masses by putting up fliers all over. a radio would work great as long as everyone you wanted to get your message has one as well.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I have to agree with those talking about radio. I would think if you want to get info out then am/fm would do and everyone would have the recievers to get the info. Also handing out fliers may not be too smart. Putting up signs or posters would be safer and you could probably make them by hand since there would be less of them.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The problem with the radio is if there is no radio, on either end. One likely cause of a SHTF/WROL scenario is a natural or man made EMP. A bunch of fried radios don't do much good unless you just need something to chunk at the zombie horde.

I think think that whenever making plans for a SHTF situation, they should be primarily manual methods, with modern/electrical as a back-up or for less severe circumstances.

Fliers can be posted in public areas, passed along and kept for historical record.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1299206061&sr=8-14

it says it's fully functional, of course, you assemble it...

but then, increase the size of everything to scale, and it would be a replica of the gutenburg....I guess.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well if TSHTF includes an EMP then radio may not work but I think bubble wrap and a metal box will keep electronics working. If you must have a printing press maybe this is what you want. Taking a good look it is something that you can make given a workshop and a couple hours.

Hand Operated Press
edit on 3-3-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
HAM radio is probably more effective though, don't you think?

With a printed publication, you have distribution worries, etc.

One issue with radio, if you are REALLY paranoid, is that the transmission source could be located via triangulation or similar methods. If you're in some sort of natural disaster SHTF scenario, like Hurricane Katrina for instance, that's not a problem, but if it's the government that causes the SHTF scenario, you probably don't want a radio transmission broadcasting your exact location.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
One issue with radio, if you are REALLY paranoid, is that the transmission source could be located via triangulation or similar methods. If you're in some sort of natural disaster SHTF scenario, like Hurricane Katrina for instance, that's not a problem, but if it's the government that causes the SHTF scenario, you probably don't want a radio transmission broadcasting your exact location.

Honestly if the SHTF scenario is martial law, standing around handing anti-government fliers would be more dangerous than a portable radio transmitter. You can set it up in a public place to loop the message until the battery is drained. Even if they find it no one gets pinched.
edit on 4-3-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

I was thinking more along the lines of printing up a bunch of "posters" and hanging them up in the middle of the night. A radio would work the same as well but, if you are spreading dis-info, I think it would be better to do with a "poster"

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Not sure what you mean by dis-info. Making it look like something the government put up?

In any case if you are talking posters you would need a pretty big press. Not to mention the know-how to make it work.
edit on 4-3-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Not trying to frame the govt, possibly just putting up incorrect information about weather, scavengers, medical aid, to gain an upper hand if you were looking for one. Get the others uneasy about what is going on so you can take advantage of situations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join