It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my keyboard and mouse just died.. help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hi all,

yea.. like the subject line says.. I was reading a thread, moused over the Evoy ad to do a reply on the thread I was reading and BAM~! no mouse!!! dead..

1) changed the batteries, still no go
2) rebooted.. still no go
3) msconfig to safeboot by keyboard....
4) BAM~! no keyboard.......can't boot to SM with no keyboard.. and perma stuck in selection screen to choose which boot option..

Next to getting a new keyboard and mouse what do i do now ???

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
How did you type this thread up and then click post?

Deebo

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

I was wondering that myself lol..that gave me my frist chuckle for the day

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
because i'm posting from my wifes PC ..
)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
)

Maybe try taking her mouse and keyboard and see if they work in yours. If not than I am not sure. I did a google search "mouse and keyboard not working" and came up with mixed results. From a virus, to bios settings, etc.

Deebo
edit on 3-3-2011 by Deebo because: To add

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

As you mentioned batteries I assume this is a wireless mouse/keyboard setup? Wanna hip us to which brand and model?

I have a logitech keyboard/mouse but the keyboard died within months. The mouse works fine but sometimes if I let the batteries completely die I have to unplug the bluetooth usb adapter, reboot hopefully getting to windows, then plug it back in and let windows detect it.

This my friends I why i always keep a spare wired keyboard and mouse lying around.

=======

Anyways, step 1, find the bios key you have to press on boot to get into your bios (sometimes F2, F12, F10, even escape in some cases.)

If those key presses aren't detected at the bios level (no windows driver working) you might have a more serious issue, you could try another keyboard, you could move the usb adapter to a different USB port.

It's strange this happened while mousing over something, it could be a virus, but that would not be affecting your mouse and keyboard UNTIL windows. If this is across the board it could be the usb port, bluetooth adapter, or the keyboard and mouse themselves.

Simple first, try your wifes keyboard and mouse, then gradually expand you fiddling.
edit on 3-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

Originally posted by Komodo
)

Maybe try taking her mouse and keyboard and see if they work in yours. If not than I am not sure. I did a google search "mouse and keyboard not working" and came up with mixed results. From a virus, to bios settings, etc.

Deebo
edit on 3-3-2011 by Deebo because: To add

yea.. that's not gonna be an option .. what's her's is her .. and i' don't want to encure the wrath if it screws hers up .. LOL

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

There is nothing you can do to her keyboard. i would suggest trying to hook up your malfunctioning one to her pc installing the drivers and such, if it's detected, you've cleared the hardware itself, then it's either software or your pc hardware.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Komodo

As you mentioned batteries I assume this is a wireless mouse/keyboard setup? Wanna hip us to which brand and model?

I have a logitech keyboard/mouse but the keyboard died within months. The mouse works fine but sometimes if I let the batteries completely die I have to unplug the bluetooth usb adapter, reboot hopefully getting to windows, then plug it back in and let windows detect it.

This my friends I why i always keep a spare wired keyboard and mouse lying around.

yea.. I should have one.. with as much PC crap i have around here.. it's an HP USB keyboard with a wireless Logitech mouse..

Could have the USB on the board gone gone south ?? Never heard of USB's doing that .. but .. not sure

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Komodo

There is nothing you can do to her keyboard. i would suggest trying to hook up your malfunctioning one to her pc installing the drivers and such, if it's detected, you've cleared the hardware itself, then it's either software or your pc hardware.

well.. i've never used drivers for a keyboard ever, but a mouse yes.. my KB is a USB .. so i know it should work in her's .. question is.. do i want to ..
)

but .. my question is.. why would a KB & mouse bomb out like that..

better not have a bio virus or i'll be seriously pissed.. last time my system was attacked .. it took me 1 month to bring it back up .. HUGE amounts of Trojans infected within seconds.. like a Trojan within a Trojan..

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I bought a wireless setup, worked fine for a while, then snuffed it. It was the keyboard that gave out, it started to dribble the likeness of full stops after a couple of letters....... I plugged the conventional system back in. I do have a problem mousing over adds on ATS, I often get logged out, that could be a trojan from hijacked ads, or my computer being hijacked or both, there is definitely a general current hijack problem with ads. Try this search page to see anything that might apply to you,

searcht2.aol.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
First thing, before anything else, do you have more than just 2 USB ports? If so, try them in the other USB ports. Come back and let us know and we'll go from there.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You could always try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
As mentioned, try another keyboard and mouse. If worse comes to worse, these are pretty cheap. Get them at WalMart, so you can easily return them if it isn't the trick.

But yes, first try other USB ports.

Odd they'd go at the same time. You may also have a virus that disables them.

I would recommend against Commander Data's solution (though it may cheer you up)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04107d50402b.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 4-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Hi guys..

thx for all the suggestions~! Seriously, really deep thx. Well, I daisychained my USB hub into my wifes USB hub, and checked it with my flash drive; no issues found. Fearing that my mb was going south on me i went to a local rummage sale and snaged a PS2 KB & Mouse.

BAM, the keyboard was working. *whew*.. however, the bad news is, I decided to wipe my HDD & reinstall
I knew it was time, it's been 3 years since my last re-install; i know, longer than it should have been. I guess lazyness will get you heartached

So, this post is being typed by my newly reformated HDD and fresh install.

But, what remains odd is, why when i moused over an ad here on ATS it triggered a lockup?? Are virus getting that good? I had 2 firewalls, and 1 anti-virus real time guard which scanned every night with no detections found plus a secured router with WPA2 and extra strong passphrase with +50 chartacters long.

I really like to get to the bottom of this .. any suggestions ??

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

A lockup could come from a lot of things, but generally a virus will just make it slower instead of stopping it altogether. They can't exactly steal any information or anything if you're unable to use the computer so it defeats the purpose. Ads in general slow down a computer, especially if you've got older or slower hardware. Does it happen every time you mouse over an ad? Or was it just a one-time thing?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I had the same problem not that long ago.
Microsoft stopped supporting the package
that I had on my computer(sp2)I think.
I had to log onto their website and download
sp3 to my computer.After that everything
was working again.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
reply to post by Komodo

A lockup could come from a lot of things, but generally a virus will just make it slower instead of stopping it altogether. They can't exactly steal any information or anything if you're unable to use the computer so it defeats the purpose. Ads in general slow down a computer, especially if you've got older or slower hardware. Does it happen every time you mouse over an ad? Or was it just a one-time thing?

I hae a 2.2Ghz CPU and 3Gb RAM and 1Gb Vid card... it's middle of the road for a PC, but plenty of speed for any games out there...So far it was a one time thing, that i remember, odd thing is, it might have happened a couple months back when my pc got infected with HUGE amounts of trojans, which got through my:

~anti-virus real-time guard,
~Secured router, (WPA2)
~2 firewalls
~and being scanned every single day for spyware and virus/trojans/malware...which were clean

The ad i moused over, to begin to reply to a thread and where my cursor stuck on, was Envoy here on ATS.

~Why would my mouse drop out on just mousing over an ad?
~How could mousing over an ad online disable my USB keyboard entirely?

new topics

top topics

join