It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Senate passes resolution calling for Democrats to be taken into police custody

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Every law comes down to interpretation! So you listened to a talk show and 2 lawyers said the senators aren't doing anything wrong and you agree with them? What happened to these senators doing their Job? you know the job they were elected to do. the people voted them in office to vote on bills, not run away to another state because they don't like a bill, and not so they can run away and stall every legislative act that needs to be done.

These senators sure aren't to worried about the 1,500 that will be laid off tomorrow because the senate can't vote on a funding bill to pay their salaries!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
reply to post by Annee

Every law comes down to interpretation! So you listened to a talk show and 2 lawyers said the senators aren't doing anything wrong and you agree with them?

Let's try this again. I listened to several talk shows.

Obviously - - - it is you - - who hears what you like and decide to agree with it.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

reply to post by MindSpin

There is no arrest warrant YET. And if the Illinois State Police receive arrest warrants for the Senators hiding in their state BY LAW THEY HAVE TO ARREST THEM or they can be charged with Aiding and abedding a Fugitive.

Umm what do you think being detained and forced back to Wisconsin means? HELLO IT MEANS THEY WILL BE ARRESTED! and extradited back to WI

The Governor and other Wisconsin Republicans have made it clear they are not calling for their arrest....because elected officials can not be arrested while in session...and Wisconsin legislature is currently in session.

They will never issue warrants for their arrest...like I said...keep dreaming.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
reply to post by sara123123

I don't think doing their jobs means they have to show up and vote - just because King Walker says they have to.

They have determined they people who voted them in would want them not to vote. If this isn't true, then they would be recalled.

I guess the question is who gets to make a the call - the King or people.

edit on March 3rd 2011 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

It's not just because walker says so its that they took a oath and understood the job meant when they ran for office.

By the same token they would have recalled walker by now and they havent so take your straw man and burn it.

Well the people made the call by electing the man. And whose to say all the people are against it just because a bunch of union lackeys are standing in city hall that means the entire state is behind them think not

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Seriously they are paid to vote on bills its their job! they need to do it.

They are paid to represent their constituients.

And that is exactly what they are doing.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

They are guilty by decree of their political rivals. Which is exactly the situation that led to their leaving the state in the first place; The Democratic reps are there to represent their constituencies, the men and women who elected them. They are unable to do this when the Republicans are pushing single-party rule, when the Governer is threatening violence against Wisconsinites, and when votes are only open for ten seconds!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I really do believe the Democrats fleeing Wisconsin are doing this the wrong way. They were voted in to represent their constituents, they should be down there in Madison standing hand to hand with their voters but no, they decided to go off down to Illinois. I do believe it is cowardly in a way as well.

I understand that maybe this is a way for these Democrats to make it harder for Walker to function his government but still, some things are more important than just attacking or playing off the opponent, it is important to stand up for what you believe in.

Now whether Walker is crossing constitutional and lawful lines? Yes he is. Anybody who supports walkers actions essentially supports the interference of a states sovereignty. Wisconsin police have no authority in Illinios and if people insist to wave around the sovereignty banner, they better be consistent otherwise they are only revealing themselves as hypocrites.

Many folks are well aware of Walkers agenda, most Wisconsonites are against it, but what these Democrats are doing ain't helping anything in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Hate to break it to you but arrest warrants can be issued at any time. and if the Senate is issuing the warrants THEY HAVE TO BE IN SESSION!

And it will be up to the master at arms if they are to be arrested or not. not the individual members of the Senate.

And the Senators can't be representing their constituents if they are in another state refusing to come back and doing their job.

Care to try again?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

no one has said that WI state police will go into IL to arrest the senators. it will be IL state police that detain then arrest them and tell WI if you want them come get them. Just like any other extradition that takes place on a daily basis.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

It would be great if the democrats could stand hand in hand with the people to protest...but Walker would have them dragged into the chamber so they could call a vote.

I wish it wasn't the case...I wish they didn't have to flee the state to allow protests...but they do because Walker is abusing his authority.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

??? Ran away to do their job??

14 Senate Democrats left the state on February 17 to prevent a Senate quorum and block a vote on Walker's move to curtail collective bargaining rights for public employee unions.

Blocking the passage of this bill by running away is NOT doing their job.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bphi1908
reply to post by Annee

??? Ran away to do their job??

14 Senate Democrats left the state on February 17 to prevent a Senate quorum and block a vote on Walker's move to curtail collective bargaining rights for public employee unions.

That is a matter of opinion.

From all that I listened to - - - I say they are doing their job.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

Originally posted by butcherguy

And they are keeping their oaths...they are allowing for debate and protests so the law isn't rushed through before anyone knows what happened.

Darn, I wish the Senate Republicans had done that when Obama rammed through his Healthcare plan.

Maybe next time.

Like I told someone else...the healthcare reform was debated for well over a year before anything was ever passed. Much longer than most pieces of legislation.

You have a strange definition of "rammed through".

perhaps I was gone that week; maybe you'll take it straight out of the horses mouth: afl-cio chief traumka gloatingabout ramming it down repubs throats ffwd to 0:40!

The world of U.S. politics is sooo bad iam constantly amazed how easy it is to find any embarassing crap you can ask fo:

Hmmm newt gingrich mating ina d.c. park with the geico gecko.... givemmea minute ortwo.here....
edit on 3-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Hate to break it to you but arrest warrants can be issued at any time. and if the Senate is issuing the warrants THEY HAVE TO BE IN SESSION!

And it will be up to the master at arms if they are to be arrested or not. not the individual members of the Senate.

And the Senators can't be representing their constituents if they are in another state refusing to come back and doing their job.

Care to try again?

Try? I don't believe that the Democrats are currently being arrested...so I don't have anything to prove to you.

I really doubt that any warrants will be issued...because arresting elected officials is against the WI constitution.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bphi1908

That is a matter of opinion based on what you think of the law.

If you are against the law...they are doing their job, above and beyond what is expected.

At the end of the day...these people were elected to do what they think is in the best interest of the people they represent...and that is exactly what they are doing.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Their job is to represent their districts. Their districts oppose this bill. The people pushing this bill are not allowing discussion - they're barely allowing voting. Those pushing the bill have enough of a majority that even if all the Democrats voted no or abstained, the bill would pass. Thus, if the Democrats were to come back and either vote no or just stand around picking their noses, their constituencies' desires would not be represented in any fashion.

That is, if the Democrats voted, they would not be doing their job.

It seems counter-intuitive until you realize that their responsibility is to the people who hired them; their districts. if being out of state to prevent a vote is what it takes to protect the interests of their constituents, then hthat's what they're going to do, because that is their job.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I agree with that ruling. Arrest them, they willfully commited this act. They understand the law. PUNISH THEM!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

That is a matter of opinion based on what you think of the law.

If you are against the law...they are doing their job, above and beyond what is expected.

At the end of the day...these people were elected to do what they think is in the best interest of the people they represent...and that is exactly what they are doing.

This isjustan an outstanding demonstration of how bad "collective bargaining" is for the taxpaying public
"collective bargaining":i.e. ( teachers want this and thisOR ).. OR.... Or.... we all strike...So how long can the public education system be shutdown by striking unions .
"Air traffic controllers" We want "this and this" or we all strike and nobody flies...uh sorry thanks forplaying.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Anything can be accomplished if its sugar coated and sold to the public through the media. I do believe we are entering a police state.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by vertedtwylight
Anything can be accomplished if its sugar coated and sold to the public through the media. I do believe we are entering a police state.

Definitely Ohio and Indiana who just successfully pulled off what Wisconsin is trying to.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join