It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Senate passes resolution calling for Democrats to be taken into police custody

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
www.startribune.com...

The Wisconsin Senate has passed a resolution calling for police to take 14 Democrats into custody for contempt after they fled to Illinois to avoid voting on a union rights bill.

The vote taken Thursday comes two weeks after the Democrats left, effectively delaying the vote on Gov. Scott Walker's proposal taking away most collective bargaining rights from public workers.

I don't care where you stand on the Union issue...no one should be supporting one political party using the police as their personal guard to push policy.

No where in the Wisconsin state constitution or senate laws does it forbid what the Democrats have done...they are not breaking any laws or any rules. They are working within the system to protest proposed legislation and stop the Governor from pushing it through without debate.

I think they are wanting them to go INTO illinois to get them...and use force if necessary.

The resolution says the absent Democrats are determined to be guilty of contempt and disorderly content. It gives the sergeant at arms the authority to take any and all steps, with or without force and assistance from police, to bring the senators back.

I know a lot of people think we live in a police state...maybe they are right.

edit on 3-3-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Seems like they are creating gridlock to me, by staying out of state, holding up the legislative process.

If they can't bring the runaways home, then I would urge any minority in any legislature to do the same thing. It will be the new legislative process, do nothing.

+29 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
someone has to enforce the law. the Wis Sen Dems are violating the law and their oaths by refusing to do their job.

+21 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Why run?
Why not vote no?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It may be bad, but there might be a good side, If you have both sides against each other for real well, id start pulling out all the black male options I could to get from going to jail. Maybe it will have some democats exposing some bad things against republicans, and back and forth and pull out a lil of the corruption.

+20 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This action is totally legit and constitutional according to the Wisconson constitution.

Organization of legislature; quorum; compulsory attendance.

SECTION 7. Each house shall be the judge of the
elections, returns and qualifications of its own members; and a
majority of each shall constitute a quorum to do business, but a
smaller number may adjourn from day to day, and may compel
the attendance of absent members in such manner and under
such penalties as each house may provide.

legis.wisconsin.gov...

(emphasis mine.)

Texas did the same with the the Texas Rangers a few years back.. i.e using them to bring runaway lawmakers back to the capital when they tried the same thing.

edit on 3-3-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
They need to do their jobs and vote. Or they need to resign.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
Why run?
Why not vote no?

Because they feel that their vote is meaningless and the only action that can get the governer and lawmakers to actually discuss and comprimise is to lock up the bill. This is a double edged sword though and I have never seen it actually work.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs
someone has to enforce the law. the Wis Sen Dems are violating the law and their oaths by refusing to do their job.

What law are they violating?

You must know the exact law if you are making that statement.

And they are keeping their oaths...they are allowing for debate and protests so the law isn't rushed through before anyone knows what happened.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
There's talk of this( runaways /gridlock) continuing through spring!...I'm all for govt doing less most of the time but.
they already made a dramatic attention getting play, everybody knows they will not be able to win if they come back.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

The Wisconsin police have no authority or jurisdiction to go into Illinois to get these democrats.

To bring them back by force is wrong...if you agree with that action then I should never hear you complain about a "police state".

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

You are right.. they have no authority to go into Illinois to arrest them. That is also made clear in many of the articles talking about this. But if they ever step foot inside Wi, they are back in jurisdiction.

BTW, I neither agree nor disagree with either side. Not my battle, since I am in Texas. I am just providing commentary.

edit on 3-3-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

from your star tribune source

"Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald says the action is legally different from an arrest, but "definitely a shift from asking them politely."

The resolution says the absent Democrats are determined to be guilty of contempt and disorderly content. It gives the sergeant at arms the authority to take any and all steps, with or without force and assistance from police, to bring the senators back."

so they are guilty of something.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
America is collapsing
Democracy is over.

Prepare for Oppression.

Our time of Greatness is over.

Wisconsin is setting up the dominoes.
edit on 3-3-2011 by KOLTON because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Actually, if state law enforcement are used to return the cry babies, and there is a border state agreement between IL and WI, then they can enter IL and bring them back. Local LE more then likely can't and wont.
They really need to stop whining and get back to work.
This is nothing more then a temper tantrum because they lost power and don't want to give up more.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Thank you for the clarification that this is entirely legal.

Those senators are PAID to do a job and they are REFUSING to do it. They SHOULD be forced to come back or give up their seats and another election held.

Darn Crybabies....

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Article 1 Section 5 :

Section 5 - Membership, Rules, Journals, Adjournment

Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.

Each House shall keep a Journal of its Proceedings, and from time to time publish the same, excepting such Parts as may in their Judgment require Secrecy; and the Yeas and Nays of the Members of either House on any question shall, at the Desire of one fifth of those Present, be entered on the Journal.

Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.

Take note in the 2nd:

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.

By removing themselves from the order of business, or in this case, legislative action, they are all in direct violation of the article.

Now if the people of Wisconsin really wished to pursue action, they only need to identify with the 10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The people would be well within their rights to enact this action.

On a side note: If you were to refuse to attend court proceedings, you would be held in " contempt of court". Same scenario, just different language. They are being held in " contempt " of court in the Nations settings.

edit on 3-3-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Interesting.. I didn't read that far down when I quoted Article 7.

Wonder if Wisconson's congress will start expelling these 14 members and force a new election?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

They can punish them all they want.

My issue is them using the state police as their own personal guard to push through the legislation they want.

I seem to remember a lot of people upset about the health care bill because despite all the protests...the government passed the bill anyway.

The capital of Wisconsin is FULL of protestors...for weeks now...and yet people who were hell bent against the health care bill being passed because it "went against the will of the people" are fine with ramming this through.

Absolutely wonderfuly hypocritical.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join