It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students From Giles High School In Va. Defy School Board, Post Ten Commandments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

After a large posting of the Ten Commandments was removed for the second time from a Giles High School wall, kids began hanging the Commandments on their lockers, WVVA reports. Students of other religions began posting their beliefs as a response, a move that kids say has caused some tension.

The Ten Commandments wall posting was removed after parents contacted Freedom From Religion, which threatened to sue the school board. The Madison, Wisc.-based organization said they'd be be monitoring the school -- in conjunction with the ACLU of Virginia -- to make sure they don't re-post.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Good for them for standing up for their beliefs. The secular government can't silence God's Commandments. It's nice to know their are still youth who are will to fight to express their religious beliefs.

We need Biblical teachings brought back into school. It would cut down on violence and teenage pregnancies.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ArchIlluminatus

In the town where I live, the school with the most gay students is the only Catholic high school in my town. Its not going to prevent anything....

I'm talking about bringing biblical teachings into school. I'm all for Freedom of Religion
edit on 3-3-2011 by SpreadLoveNotHate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I wish there was freedom from religion. I would love to go 5 minutes without hearing about it.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

We need Biblical teachings brought back into school.

Spot on...it's just the way that you teach them that matters - as seen below.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cff4b6288ed4.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I have no problem with kids posting the 10 Commandments on their lockers, but for them to turn around and be upset when other religions' precepts are posted by students who aren't Christian is just too damned bad. That's a fundy Christian for you - whine and whine that they are being repressed and then turn around and try and deny someone else the same freedoms they want for themselves. Typical.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

So if we teach biblical studies then what about the other thousand religions of the planet? should we teach them all to all? How about leave that to parents, and churches? Religion is all crap anyway, another tool in the box of the powerful. Mass mind control. If these kids want to post the commandments on their locker that is fine, but any other kid should be allowed to post any material they see fit as well. What you end up with is a huge distraction from EDUCATION.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchIlluminatus

We need Biblical teachings brought back into school. It would cut down on violence and teenage pregnancies.

...Are you reading a different bible than me? 'Cause, I dunno if you noticed...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
My belief is religion should not be taught in public school's - that does not mean a someone wanting to post the 10 commandments on their locker should be in trouble (unless posting on lockers is not allowed). It is not kid's expressing their religious views that gets to me - it is adults expressing their religious views to children as fact. We all know even most religious folk can not agree on what is fact.

Freedom of expression of belief - Yes
(yes, but be prepared for your children to also see stuff posted by other kids about the Koran and buddah)

Teaching that belief in class as fact - No
(As a teacher and an adult kids interpret what you say as fact - you do not have the right to manipulate their beliefs.)

If you want to teach the kid's about god - go to church!
edit on 3-3-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I just love it.

We are going to defy the rules of not only our school, but of our government by posting our religious beliefs in our lockers. Then we are going to get mad because those with conflicting beliefs do the same in response.

This is another great example of christian hypocrissy.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You cannot have one rule for one set of children and have a different rule for everyone else. Religion has no place in education what so ever. I would not be happy if My child was having the ten commandmentsshoves down her throat eveyday.

Religious ideology causes half the conflicts in this world today. So why force religious ideologies on innocent children,when those religions are marred with violence.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Let's see....cuss, swear--go to office
invite your mom, dad to meet your teachers at a school function
lie, cheat, steal--go to office
spreading lies about a fellow student--go to office
That sums up about 5 of the Commandments. Seems like schools deal with them quite well.

Hmmmmm.....killing... well, don't fight.....adultery....go see your parents for more info....God and Sabbath....go to a church for more info.... No, schools don't need to deal with these. No, no need to post them.

No, God's not going to go away. That's quite a presumption, who are you to declare where God will/won't be? God is in this school/locker ....but not that one! Oh, ye of little faith.

Besides, whose version of the 10 C's would be posted?

Ya know, teens, if you act like Christ wanted you to act, "let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds" and "love your neighbor as yourself", you don't need to post the playbill. I don't need to read the script when I see a play.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Religion is taught in public schools. In fact, in direct violation of the constitution a state religion has been established and is enforced by rule of law in all US public schools. That religion is atheism, the absurd belief that nothing creating everything. Thus it's primary doctrine, evolution, is taught to the exclusion of all else. Despite the amazing amount of faith it takes to believe that an accident not only created all life but atheisms god, nothing, continues to direct life into ever higher forms of complexity.

Other than that, the only religion that must be suppressed at all costs is christianity. All other religions, especially Islam and the occult are encouraged. I wonder if the insane leftists who support this policy ever wonder why it works that way? Is it possible that the powers that be wish to suppress certain truths? I think so.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

No, you are completely wrong. If you wish to discuss the philosophical framework of secular learning, the correct term is "agnosticism" not "atheism". Schools which teach science (y'know, the stuff that makes this forum possible) do not say "There is no god" (which could be called atheism), they simply do not address the issue. And don't try any BS "well, by teaching evolution/the big bang/electronics/gravity/biology/math/basic-shoe-tying-skills they are _denying_ my god!" arguments either. They simply DON'T TALK ABOUT GOD! Jesus CHRIST!).

As to the OP, I just LOVE how the article says that the non-christian students' posting of their beliefs 'caused' tension. I'm sure the non-christian students didn't feel ANY tension when their school started displaying murals of the ten commandments. Of course. Oh, wait! That doesn't make any sense. I guess they meant "tension in non-christians doesn't 'really' count...". Well sure, in THAT case...

No.

Look, to all the christians and similarly thinking folks, until you can tell me which of these statements is false:

1) God is all-loving
2) God is all-powerful
3) Sin exists.

... you are simply talking gibberish. Period. The classic theodicies are _excuses_ not reasons, and poor ones at that. (And if you had to look up the word 'theodicy' you are simply not qualified to hold an educated opinion on the subject, so hold your darned tongue.)

School is not the place for religion; school is the place for _facts_. The proper place for beliefs that one holds irrespective of facts is called either 1) church/synagogue/mosque/circle/whatever or 2) the asylum. And frankly? The right answer is "2".

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I missed that line. I am so glad you caught it, and pointed out that fact. The fact is that if there were no religion taught to anyone, then we would have far less violence, and probably less sex. Maybe not, but for sure less violence. When will they figure it out man??? "God is love"? i think not, God = hate anyone who does not beleive exactly what i do. Maybe i am wrong though, I have been wrong before.

join