It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

72% of Grocery Carts Test Positive for Fecal Bacteria

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Big deal, i'm sure doorknobs or doorhandles have the same thing, what are you going to do? wear gloves all the time

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yes, but it's poop!

Where does poop come from?

Oh from INSIDE you body???

Quick, disinfect your intestines!

Seriously folks, lol. Let's try to exercise reasonable judgement here.

The shores of ignorance have been shelled.
Ignorance hath been bombarded.
The myths are dispelled.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The store I use to shop at in Ky had sanitizer wipes right by the carts - haven't seen that here
in Indiana. And by all means wash your fruits and vegetables and your hands as soon
as possible after you have been shopping anywhere.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Bacteria are not always as bad as they are made out to be.

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

This.

I worked in mail transportation facility, and it was pretty dirty, with mail coming in from all over the world, and with workers that loved dipping and spitting all over the grounds, it was pretty unsanitary. We would have homeless people sleeping in the trucks doing god knows what. But I never got sick, nor did most people.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOIogy
Big deal, i'm sure doorknobs or doorhandles have the same thing, what are you going to do? wear gloves all the time

This is unnecessary and potentially counter-productive.

If you protect yourself from it 99% of the time, that one event you do come into contact with normal pathogens you will be devastated as you have never had exposure and your tolerances and resistances will not be up to the task of defense.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There are so many things we don't even think of which would really gross us out if we did! I always carry antibacterial hand lotion....but even that can be bad because, if you use it too much, it will stop being effective at some point....the same way oral antibiotics do....bacteria is everywhere, you really can't avoid it completely. I must admit, that really made me lose my appitite as I was eating lunch though!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

OTd by staff

Where does poop come from?

Oh from INSIDE you body???

Quick, disinfect your intestines!

Seriously folks, lol. Let's try to exercise reasonable judgement here.

The shores of ignorance have been shelled.
Ignorance hath been bombarded.
The myths are dispelled.

Lol Muzzle,

It won't change my habits, apart from washing my plums from now on when I get home.

edit on Thu Mar 3 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: post removed by staff

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Most of the immigrant "refugees" coming into Canada are from countries where "sanitation" and personal hygene can only be described as almost non-existent. Wiping their arse with a bare hand, then rinsing it off in a bucket of water that has already been used "Allah" knows how many times. For anyone who likes to dine out on curried food, take heart...they're not allowed to cook or handle food with the wiping hand! My wife always carries a package of disenfectant wipes, that she uses on the handles of grocery carts. Some of the larger foodchains are now hanging containers of wipes just inside the front door.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
People should REALLY wash their hands after going to the toilet.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

That's a good idea actually.

Pesticides are far more harmful than your average bacterial agent in most cases.

Also often times the human immune system is not up to par when fighting toxic chemicals synthesized in laboratories due to their recent development. Most bacteria have been around for a long time, and so we have "evolved together".

I would suggest that the pesticides potentially on our food are far far more dangerous than the fecal bacteria found on the grocery cart.

I highly recommend washing all fruits and veggies, and exercising caution and restraint when applying pesticide or herbicide agents in your backyard activities.

Good suggestion Jono, thanks for pointing it out.

edit on 3-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Mar 3 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by raknjak
People should REALLY wash their hands after going to the toilet.

No where near as necessary as you believe.
I think you have blown it out of proportion.

Washing hands is fine, but it's not a requirement for good health.

Caveman almost never washed himself, but he survived and led to us, modern man.
I could really go way into depth about this, but I will hold off for the time being.

Toxic chemicals are far more dangerous and that is when you actually need to wash yourself.
Humans can drink urine and survive *for very short periods-not recommended*....
Myth Busters- source

Myth Dispelled.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Tell you what, mate....Since I've heard a lot of talk and watched a couple of programs concerning toxic chemicals in drinking water, how be I sit down with you and I'll drink a gallon of tap water, whilst you grab yourself a knife and fork and enjoy a nice plateful of human turd. Adult for main course, from a diaper for desert?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

It's not just fecal material. Think in terms of a "Wally World" type store, with groceries, and car, truck batteries, being sold etc. Ever see somebody bring in a dead or defective (leaking acid) battery from the parking lot to one of their stores ?...and then they place it in the top section of the grocery cart? or sometimes the interior of the basket/cart to return to their customer service counter or automotive, etc. ...I have. Asked one of the employees if they ever wash the carts, and they said no, why? Think about where people place most toddlers or small babies in those carts who in turn may develop rashes or even burns from the acid or grease.....

edit on 3/3/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Methinks this isn't just children sitting in the cart, but also a reflection of how few people wash their hands after a visit to the restroom. I see it all the time, men leaving a smelly, stink deposit in the toilet, and not even considering washing their hands afterwards. The most frequent place I see it? The gym. Disgusting.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Somethings are best left unkown.

This

It's just an inconvenient truth we live with. To put it in perspective, when you smell someone's fart, your inhaling their fecal material.

EWWWWWWWW.

Not really. Hydrogen sulfide is part of the odor, bacteria produce it. So can't really say "material".

Would be nice if they disinfected the carts but you probably won't find that.

Honestly of the things you could get, bacteria is pretty innocent.
edit on 3-3-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

You are correct the obsession with no bacteria is not good for kids.

Children raised on farms don’t suffer from asthma as much as their city- and suburb-dwelling counterparts, according to a paper published online Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine. But it’s not necessarily because of the fresh air, full sun and hard work, researchers say — it’s because of the germs.

Scientists had known that many of the things associated with farm life — unpasteurized milk, exposure to animals such as cows and pigs, and hay — helped kids grow up with stronger constitutions, perhaps because they were being exposed to harmless, even beneficial, bacteria along the way. To test this hypothesis, the researchers analyzed samples of house dust to look at the microbes within.

They showed that children on farms, where the bacteria population is far more diverse, were 30% to 50% less likely to have asthma than children who didn’t live on farms. The wider the range of microbes in the houses, the less likely it was that the children would suffer from asthma.

Also, those who lived on farms were much less likely to have atopy — an umbrella term for certain types of hyperallergic sensitivity, including hay fever, asthma and eczema. But the drop in atopy was linked to a certain group of bacteria, not to the range of microbes. www.latimes.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Maybe for all the Piss-take, Derison and critism that Michael Jackson got for wearing a pair of white gloves then MAYBE he had a point......

Another thought for you all is this........... Petrol Pump handles ??? ATM keypads??? any door handle in the public domain ???

Any other ideas...

regards

PDUK

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There a simple things you can do to protect yourself against these nasties. This is what I do:

I carry a small plastic bottle of hand cleanser in my handbag and use this often as I have to commute to work in city...our trains are filthy in Sydney. Also handy if I want to eat or drink and there is no washing facility.

I also carry a small flat pack of disposable Johnson & Johnson Baby Wipes (these are great for lots of things). When leaving the restroom, I put a paper towel between my freshly washed hand and the door handle; in the event of no paper being available, I use a clean handkerchief or my loose fitting clothing as a barrier.

I am not overboard but it pays to be a bit vigilant. Believe me there are some filthy women out there who do NOT wash there hands after going to the loo.

As for shopping carts (we call them trolleys): I hate seeing school age children and older ones being pushed around in them...What the heck is that all about?? That practise should be banned. I only want to see newborns and toddlers in the purpose build carts, thank you.

My handbag has all sorts of stuff in it

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
There a simple things you can do to protect yourself against these nasties. This is what I do:

I carry a small plastic bottle of hand cleanser in my handbag and use this often as I have to commute to work in city...our trains are filthy in Sydney. Also handy if I want to eat or drink and there is no washing facility.

I also carry a small flat pack of disposable Johnson & Johnson Baby Wipes (these are great for lots of things). When leaving the restroom, I put a paper towel between my freshly washed hand and the door handle; in the event of no paper being available, I use a clean handkerchief or my loose fitting clothing as a barrier.

I am not overboard but it pays to be a bit vigilant. Believe me there are some filthy women out there who do NOT wash there hands after going to the loo.

As for shopping carts (we call them trolleys): I hate seeing school age children and older ones being pushed around in them...What the heck is that all about?? That practise should be banned. I only want to see newborns and toddlers in the purpose build carts, thank you.

My handbag has all sorts of stuff in it

What about us men who don't carry handbags?

edit on 3-3-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join