It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bell police memo outlines 'baseball game' targeting drivers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Awww, aint it cute?

Bell PD thought they could make a fun little GAME out of ruining people's lives!

It's all "just a joke", a way to "have fun" and "raise revenue" for the city!

It will be a hilarious little game of "us vs. them", and we will have the game rigged with corrupt city officials, and a more often than not corrupt legal system which goes right along with our draconian bullying of the civilians!

The irony in these types of unbelievable thuggery, gang-like extortions is that WE PAY THESE FOLKS SALARIES.

Absolutely unreal.

A memo discovered in files of the Bell Police Department appears to outline a game in which police officers would compete to issue tickets, impound cars and arrest motorists.

Titled the "Bell Police Department Baseball Game," the memo assigns "singles," "doubles," "triples" and "home runs" to progressively more serious infractions, starting with parking tickets and moving up to impounded vehicles and felony arrests. "Non performers," the memo said, would be "sent for minor league rehab stint."

DOCUMENTS: Read the memo and other reports

The discovery of the memo comes as the U.S. Department of Justice is investigating whether Bell police violated the civil rights of residents through improper towing of cars and code enforcement activities. Part of the investigation focuses on claims by some police officers that the department had quotas for issuing tickets and impounding cars. The officers say the enforcement actions were aimed at raising revenue for the city. Some officers have said they were reprimanded when they did not meet their goals.

The one-page document, a copy of which was obtained by The Times, is the first to provide written evidence of a concerted effort to have officers pull over more cars, although it's unclear who wrote the memo or whether department officials had condoned it.

Full Article:
www.latimes.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Unbelievable. Wait, actually I am not that surprised come to think of it. How many "funny little games" do officers play all around the country that don't get typed into a memo? Come to think of it, when I got pulled over this morning for taking off at the green light... wait no. Couldn't be it.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I know this definitely goes on because I was a victim of them in my old town. One of the reasons I moved far from my birth place was mostly because I was just a fish in a barrel there to these sick cops.

Appealing traffic violations are & were a running joke, the magistrates and judges are juiced in and the average motorist there has 3-5 infractions per year on their driving records. Then insurance rate goes way up. Lawyers do deals with the judges and split what's brought in by their clients, always resulting in the defendant paying "something" to the state no matter how innocent someone is.

Lawyers, judges, & cops all work for the same team, the state. Lawyers there told me that whenever they brought in a repeat offender, they made sure to set the bail low enough ($50-$100) for them to bail out and continue committing crimes, while the dime bag potheads got $10,000+ cash bails. It drives the system of revenue, and they lock up the 1-2 time offenders to show they are putting criminals away on the books.

It's a joke people, the entire "just-us" system is a club for them, we can't beat them we can only join them.
edit on 3-3-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Officers represent the system. The system is making its position as an enemy of the populace increasingly clear.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I keep wondering how things would go down if we had no money... Think things like this would happen?

Unlikely.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Disgusted , they should be made to reimburse and/or compensate people who they are found wrongly to have issued any tickets or towed cars / arrested for the wrong reasons.

I have heard people claim a very similar things of Traffic wardens in the UK and the councils.
Here is a couple of examples ( if you feel this is not on topic you may remove )

This is a link showing traffic wardens painting yellow lines under a car and then issuing a parking fine for being on yellow lines. ( 2006 )
Link - www.dailymail.co.uk...

This one is "bonus" issued to traffic warden who hands out most tickets (2009)
Link - www.thisisbristol.co.uk...

Thanks for interesting post : )
edit on 3-3-2011 by johngtr because: Bad Wording

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I'm not suprised. I am encouraged though that actual officers are cooperating to bring an end to this. There has been a trend in recent years of officers helping to bring down their own corrupt police departments. It has happened multiple times in NC that I know of. It seems to be happening in this case.

Of course the brass are trying to cover their rear. However, I don't think it is going to work out for them. The state level agencies are really cracking down on this stuff compared to before.

I hope they follow through with terminations, civil action, and criminal prosecution where they can.

edit on 3-3-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
What is a surprise? I wouldn't know...

Because this sure doesn't sound like one.

Well, technically the government is a corporate enterprise.
Just goes to show ya!

Justice shall return one day, but I am not sure if I will be alive to see such a wonderful event transpire.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Supposedly the British Traffic Police have a game they play as well!!

Traffic Snooker!!

The first car they pull over has to be a red, then they can pick from yellow, green, brown, blue, pink or black!!

The points are awarded in the same fashion as the Snooker game!

Just my luck that I have a red car

new topics

top topics

join