It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the brink: Sixth mass extinction 'that will eradicate 75% of life on Earth is drawing closer'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

On the brink: Sixth mass extinction 'that will eradicate 75% of life on Earth is drawing closer'

www.dailymail.co.uk

Earth may be on the brink of a sixth mass extinction on the scale of the apocalyptic event that wiped out the dinosaurs, a study claims.

The researchers say that unless action is taken now to reverse the harmful effects of human activity on eco-systems, a full-blown mass extinction could occur within a few centuries.

Recovery from such an event, which could eradicate more than three-quarters of all life on Earth, may then take millions of years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This is such an amazing world we live in. And honestly, it's a very resilient world in my opinion. I think the only reason why it would be at risk due to man at this stage in the game is because we are everywhere in large numbers with crazy amounts of ecological disasters happening on an annual basis. In other words, we very well might be the cause of the next mass extinction event...

www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I was excited until I hit this part "a full-blown mass extinction could occur within a few centuries."

Why do the best things always take so long?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
EXPANDO PLANET
TYCHE/NIBIRU
NU-WW3: M.E.
AMERICAN COLLAPSE
ECONOMIC DISASTER
FAMINE

End of the Cycle.

the signs all point to the Truth.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

If there's going to be a mass extinction caused by man. It will be caused not by the common man. But by those "running" this circus. And it will be intentional. They aren't putting all that money into DUMB's, Doomsday clocks, seed vaults, the Georgia Guidestones, and so on for nothing.

The population on this planet will have nothing to do with it.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The key word there is a few century. I thought it will happen in my lifetime.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
From your article:

The researchers say that unless action is taken now to reverse the harmful effects of human activity on eco-systems, a full-blown mass extinction could occur within a few centuries.

and

Only five previous mass extinctions have occurred in the last 540million years.
They are classified as the Ordovician event (443million years ago); the Devonian event (359million years ago); the Permian event (251million years ago); the Triassic event (200million years ago) and the Cretaceous event (65million years ago).
The last mass extinction, thought to have been triggered by a meteor impact in Mexico, was marked by the loss of 76 per cent of species including the dinosaurs.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I wonder how many humans were to blame for the extinction event 443 million years ago? 359 million?

It's amazing to me that these extinction events have been taking place throughout the history of the Earth, but now somehow we are to blame for the next one.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
We aren't even sure what caused previous mass extinctions, and someone is going to presume that they can tell us one is coming soon and it is our own fault?

Okay...

I will listen to the weather forecast for tomorrow. If they are right, I will be surprised.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The bad thing is, most won't even pay attention to this because it says "in a few centuries". People are short term thinkers and if it's not going to happen in a time frame that effects them, then it's not something they care about.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
The bad thing is, most won't even pay attention to this because it says "in a few centuries". People are short term thinkers and if it's not going to happen in a time frame that effects them, then it's not something they care about.

Im one of those
I wonder how many guys back in The Year of The Lord 1411 were thinking about us.

edit on 3-3-2011 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

S&F&
for importance. BUT. The problem is NOT overpopulation - it's industrial activity, mucking irresponsibly with "science" - and altering the fundamental structures of our planet right down to the molecular ones. Which is not to say there aren't "natural" factors contributing to the situation, just that life on the planet already has been unnecessarily stressed beyond the extreme - all our immune systems are under assault, and already battered before facing the "natural attacks."

...Also FYI - similar studies were done, and the reports made and buried back in 2004. Fact is, we're not just facing a 6th Mass Extinction - we're in the middle of it.

From your source:

Within the past 500 years, it is estimated that at least 80 species of mammals have become extinct out of a starting total of 5,570 species.

This compares with an average extinction rate for mammals of less than two species disappearing every million years.

'It looks like modern extinction rates resemble mass extinction rates, even after setting a high bar on defining mass extinction,' said lead researcher Professor Anthony Barnosky, from the University of California at Berkeley.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
read through the comments and not stopping at each post to to offer opinion de'sure, You know it just doesnt matter which demographic causes the OP's disaster its that likely it will happen. IMO mankind hasnt evolved from the warrior mantality and is drifting away from spirituality not tward it. Preasent day Enlightenment hardly counts. Where did I read that in the next 50 yrs it will take the amount of food previously produced in the last 8,000 yrs to feed mankind. Wages coming up in 3rd world countries and their better lifestyle is the reason and population expanding to an estimated 9 billion. Again in 3rd world countries with the better lifestyle. It doesnt take a "Rocket Scientist" to figure out the consiquences and implications....."I say Bring it" because the human race isnt going forward, Microsoft and the Internet doesnt count as Human Evolution. We still War with our selves. There cannot, again IMO, be a transfer of new energy from any higher power or Paradigm while we still war and feed our greed from our own race. please forgive and spelling as I have someplace to go right now!!! thanks for reading my comments

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

If there's going to be a mass extinction caused by man. It will be caused not by the common man. But by those "running" this circus. And it will be intentional. They aren't putting all that money into DUMB's, Doomsday clocks, seed vaults, the Georgia Guidestones, and so on for nothing.

If I will only pay for oil at a certain price, and in order to meet that price oil companies destroy wetlands, then I have some responsibility in that. It is in fact the common man who funds these disasters.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
When people think of events like this, they think 'end of the world'. I don't think that's the proper term. In fact, it's an arrogant term. It implies that life does not go on after humans. The Earth is doing just fine. It's the animal life on Earth that faces a problem. The Earth will prevail until the Sun goes supernova.

I think we are beginning the mass extinction. But I think it's hard for people to recognize it. People need these ecological events to move quickly or to happen in their lifetime to have any importance in their mind. That's not how nature works, folks. It does what it does and it doesn't care what you think or want.

I'll leave with an excerpt from a George Carlin bit that relates to this subject and my first point:

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are [snip]. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We’ve been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we’ve only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the conceit to think that somehow we’re a threat? That somehow we’re gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that’s just a-floatin’ around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles, hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages... and we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans, are going to make a difference?

The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE ARE! We’re going away. Pack your [snip], folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe a little styrofoam. The planet will be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance.

You wanna know how the planet’s doing? Ask those people at Pompeii, who are frozen into position from volcanic ash, how the planet’s doing. You wanna know if the planet’s all right, ask those people in Mexico City or Armenia or a hundred other places buried under thousands of tons of earthquake rubble, if they feel like a threat to the planet this week. Or how about those people in Kilowaia, Hawaii, who built their homes right next to an active volcano, and then wonder why they have lava in the living room.

The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we’re gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, ’cause that’s what it does. It’s a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed, and if it’s true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new paradigm: the Earth plus plastic. The Earth doesn’t share our prejudice towards plastic. Plastic came out of the Earth. The Earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the Earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted plastic for itself. Didn’t know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, “Why are we here?” Plastic... asshole.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Klassified

If I will only pay for oil at a certain price, and in order to meet that price oil companies destroy wetlands, then I have some responsibility in that. It is in fact the common man who funds these disasters.

If you will only pay up to a certain price for oil, it is probably because you realize you are being lied to and gouged on price. There are plenty of alternative energy sources out there that have been stifled, or outright hidden from the public so that the "peak oil crisis", and false shortages can be used to further fleece the public of the resources they work hard for. And to manipulate, manipulate, manipulate.

This game TPTB play of putting the monkey on our backs is to get us to take on the guilt for a society and system they have created and perpetuated by hook, and by crook. And by their propaganda machine we know as the MSM.

Well, it's not working anymore. More and more people are realizing who the real criminals, and destroyers of the ecosystem are.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

Carlin is cool.

I don't completely agree with him on this one. But he makes some great points nevertheless.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
These events have been occurring without human intervention before, what would make anyone think we would be able to stop or influence them now?

This kind of event is based on:
- gradual or intense climate change, global warming
- a catastrophic event

Without the latter, it won't happen.

We sure do kill many animals and are pushing some species to the edge of extinction but this is just another eco-nazi propaganda "study" with the goal to blame man-kind for global climate change.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think the whole George Carlin thing stikes a chord with me. Honestly, who are we to think that we are capable of screwing up something like our planet all on our own? If anything if going to kill us, it will be us, not the Earth acting in retaliation. Its boggling to think, we are truely not a huge deal in the span of millions/billions of years of everything else that the Earth has had to deal with. A meateor the size of a state wipes out a tonne of life, and we are worried that some gas is pushed out of chimneys. Not saying being 'green' is a bad thing, I really appreciate being able to breathe more air than smoke, but still kinda futile in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by IronArm

ATS is chock full of information on how our biosphere has been assaulted with everything from GMO's and bioweapons to synthetic chemicals.

ATS also has a great deal of info on how oil and gas drilling trigger quakes, quakes trigger quakes and educated speculation on the geomechanical effects of human activity combined with natural stressors like geomagnetic activity.

I suggest you bury your assumptions and develop a healthy dose of paranoia. George Carlin is tres cool but he missed a few chapters.

With respect, sofi

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

www.dailymail.co.uk

Earth may be on the brink of a sixth mass extinction on the scale of the apocalyptic event that wiped out the dinosaurs, a study claims.

Recovery from such an event, which could eradicate more than three-quarters of all life on Earth, may then take millions of years.

There's so much mystery in the past and we're already ready to give up and predict the next million.

What a joke.

This is what happens when there're too many liberals in power.

They're too weak kneed. They predict. The rest of us act and do the work of making civilization.
edit on 3-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join