It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers needed to save the world — at least America

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Heres a hack program by Department of Homeland Security. Random Hacks of Kindness. If you look at what they did in the past in creating software for disaster relief you will find its the same software used to bypass the blocks that Egypt recently tryed to use on there internet. The US used Random Hacks of Kindness software to fight the blockade Egyptian Government tryed to use.
www.rhok.org...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

The next DEFCON is going to be very interesting if i can get myself a ticket. Every year they have the "spot the fed" game, i wonder if it'll be successful when there are lots of them milling around.

The problem with true hackers being recruited is that government utterly stifles their efforts. Hackers are people who really see solutions where others see chaos, they are novel thinkers and government often doesn't like novel thinking.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

"Spot the fed game".
I love that. It's hilarious.

"The problem with true hackers being recruited is that government utterly stifles their efforts. Hackers are people who really see solutions where others see chaos, they are novel thinkers and government often doesn't like novel thinking."

Exactly. The computer industry is my livelihood. And some of their "laws" already infringe on me. I certainly don't want to work for them. And I know guys who are beyond me, and I just don't see them working for anything connected with big brother. Or big sis either.
edit on 3-3-2011 by Klassified because: Why did that show up as external???????????

edit on 3-3-2011 by Klassified because: That's better

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I used to hack for the gov. Specifically in a protection fashion, so it was our job to defend, find the vulns before the bad guys, and keep specific networks ship-shape.

However, there are offensive teams as well.

When the teams are under the auspices of the military it's true that the novel thinking is squeezed out, but when they are not... Stand back.

I have a lot of friends on those teams...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

There are some scary good hackers out there. I've seen them in action over the many years I've been in this industry. I hope when it comes down to the wire, your friends are on the right side of the fence. The peoples side.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Ironically, the hackers I know are more ethical than the general population.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Tis true, hackers have a sense of morality / ethics unbeknownst to the majority of the population. They have to decide at an early age what is right or wrong since they can do things that can affect other people, usually without being noticed.

Remember though, that's a small piece of the pie. The Nanny State, aka, our governments, are there because, we, the people, cannot handle ourselves, cover our own basic necessities, and many can't live without the system structures in place. 7 days without oil supply will collapse a metropolis. 2 weeks without garbage collection will create a health hazard. Do you know your farmer?

Hack away all you want, the war is more in your mind than in the digital realm or on the streets. Indeed, hacking the system without morality gives TPTB more power.

Be all you need. That will collapse TPTB...

Tangent of the never to do: Though if one were to hack proper... do what would really get them. Take out the central banks... that might slow them down enough for pre-planned systems to move into place... hehehe.. or change course on their satellites...

Ham radios anyone?
edit on 3-3-2011 by wolfgang1812 because: Useless tangent

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfgang1812

Very good points! Yes, be all that you need... self-reliance this is key.

I would like to follow up with a lil ditty that adds to this thread very well I believe...

We are the Elite

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Well lets face it, when people get caught they will bargain out and work for the government to avoid prison, i think that goes on more often than people realise. However the government doesn't understand the people it is dealing with. Many perfectly legitimate hackers started out by commiting acts of curiosity, poking around systems they maybe shouldn't be checking out. Also many hackers are involved in "jailbreaking" various electronics, and as companies are now rtying to claim copyright to prevent them doing it the hackers don't exactly like to brag about what they're doing.

Hackers share information with hackers, not someone posing as a hacker at a conference. Just like i don't share the more detailed aspects of lockpicking and security bypass with the average internet user.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

This is a myth. I know of no hackers in the gov who got there because they hacked something illegally. It makes for good movies, but it's more of a myth than anything.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I would say as a whole. You're probably correct. But I think IR1984 has a point. I'm sure tptb have pressured some hackers with threats of trumped up charges. Or maybe a few legit ones too. I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

This is a myth. I know of no hackers in the gov who got there because they hacked something illegally. It makes for good movies, but it's more of a myth than anything.

Really? I'm desperately trying to find the article atm but the FBI was employing formerly convicted hackers as a way of working off their sentences. I remember watching something on the BBC about it.

This was back in 1998 i think, forgive me i was young when i watched it. I'll try and ferret it out

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Crazy stuff. But haven't the alphabet agencies always hired hackers? Either on staff or as consultants? And both to help them secure their own systems and stay ahead of other hackers and for (ahem) other purposes?

I have a much better idea on how hackers could help save the world, but I can't say it here

edit on 3/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

Ah go on.

We all know you're only being hypothetical, so no harm..;-)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Really? I'm desperately trying to find the article atm but the FBI was employing formerly convicted hackers as a way of working off their sentences. I remember watching something on the BBC about it.

This was back in 1998 i think, forgive me i was young when i watched it. I'll try and ferret it out

I will say that I can speak only for the US. I have no idea what the UK may or may not find as good policy.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

I would say as a whole. You're probably correct. But I think IR1984 has a point. I'm sure tptb have pressured some hackers with threats of trumped up charges. Or maybe a few legit ones too. I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

I wouldn't put it past them either... it's just that the ones who skirt the law are not the smart ones, in other words, not the ones you want to hire. The smart ones make a killing on this legally... That's all I'm saying.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I will say that I can speak only for the US. I have no idea what the UK may or may not find as good policy.

I was actually referring to the USA but i can't find the article to back it up, it was i am sure an FBI program but as i can't find the article i can't prove it.

However you are looking at this too simplistically. Saying that the smart ones make money legally isn't thinking about the full situation. In 1998 the hacking culture was big but still underground, most people didn't know what a hacker was and the FBI were still struggling to deal with the new technology. They weren't recruiting people fresh out of college/uni as they do now. I am sure i read an article about this from the BBC where former so called black hats were being recruited as a way of working their sentences off.

Many hackers make mistakes early on in their adventures, getting caught then opens them to legal deals.
edit on 3-3-2011 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I'm looking at this, not too simplistically, but from inside the industry at a very high level. I'm merely reporting on what I see to the degree I can.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You both have vallid points. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of this exchange.
I can certainly appreciate the points from both perspectives.

edit on 3-3-2011 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

reply to post by wolfgang1812

Very good points! Yes, be all that you need... self-reliance this is key.

I would like to follow up with a lil ditty that adds to this thread very well I believe...

We are the Elite

Lol i didn't see this last night, i really love it, thanks for sharing.

Second line of doom.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Ironically, the hackers I know are more ethical than the general population.

Do you think it has to do with them being more intelligent and logical thinkers than the 'general population'? I do.

<< 1    3 >>

join