It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trouble At Iran's Bushehr Nuclear Reactor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Just saw this.....I'm still trying to find updates, and I'll post when I find more...... I'll be watching this.

...."Iran has told inspectors it is unloading fuel from its Bushehr nuclear reactor, a sign of major problems, a U.N. nuclear watchdog says. The International Atomic Energy Agency released a report Friday on the Bushehr reactor. The agency said Iranian officials did not explain why they were removing fuel rods. The reactor, completed only recently, was hit by the Stuxnet computer worm, which was specifically designed to target Iran's nuclear program. Russia has called for an investigation of the worm, saying it could have caused a disaster. Several nuclear experts told the Times the trouble at Bushehr could be anything from minor problems to something that would effectively end the reactor's operations. "It could be simple and embarrassing all the way to 'game over,'" said David A. Lochbaum, a nuclear engineer at the Union of Concerned Scientists who once worked with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. David Albright, president of the Institute for Science and International Security, said the problems might show Iran does not have the expertise to operate a nuclear reactor and said a disaster like the explosion at Chernobyl in Ukraine in 1986 might be a possibility."
source: hisz.rsoe.hu...
source 2 spectrum.ieee.org...

edit on 3-3-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2011 by StealthyKat because: added info

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Holly molly,all this is weird its either propaganda or the iranians instead of nukeing there enemies plan to recreate a nuclear disater zone if invaded,thats scary,a lot of luminious iranians,then again suicidal tendancies,makes sense

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There is no doubt israel and america were behind the iran sciencetist being killed and the stuxnet .Now if iran done that to a western country there would be war now -What goes around comes arounds

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here's a couple more articles I found....apparently they have been thinking of removing the rods for days, but kept saying all was well at the moment. Today, I checked, and they ARE removing them......so there must be some real danger there.
www.guardian.co.uk...
theenergycollective.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Something to keep an eye on. Will search too and see if we and our ATS friends can shed some light on this.
This has the potential to develop into a game changer for the region.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Very worrying indeed.

Just a thought, if the reactor does explode and have a Chernobyl style meltdown. Could the radioactive material be used to make effective dirty bombs?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Good question! Maybe someone knows on here.....that wouldn't be good for sure! I'm sure they have good security...or at least I HOPE they do!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Here is some more info. I'll keep looking.

Russia says why Iranian nuclear plant was unloaded

By JIM HEINTZ, Associated Press Jim Heintz, Associated Press – Mon Feb 28, 2:38 pm ET

MOSCOW – Russia's nuclear energy agency says the order to remove fuel from the Russian-built nuclear plant in Iran came because of concerns that metal particles might be contaminating fuel assemblies.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The Iranians are paranoid, and any problem, no matter how small can cause them to suspect sabotage by the west and Israel.

They should be afraid, very.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Thanks! This is something that is being under reported IMO.....I haven't heard a word on MSM TV!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

That Stuxnet is one nasty worm....yes, they should be worried.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

With them blaming the West for such a disaster, I'm sure they will only be too happy to allow such material to fall into the 'wrong' hands and it to be used against Western targets.

Maybe it's their plan, they can't nuke the West but can take out main cities and blame militants like Al Q.

Now there's a conspiracy. (ok not a very good one but, you never know :lol
[
edit on 3-3-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

I believe that depends on the what % the material is refined to .......from this you can also determine it's level of devastation if used

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Though I'm not disagreeing with the report, it stated that they " dont have the expertise " to operate a nuclear facility. But my question, is the last reports I heard, dating back to the mid 80's suggested that they had acquired many, germans, and also sent some of their current ( Iranian ) staff to our schools in the US to learn nuclear energy. So with that, is it possible that the report is inaccurate? Could it be, that there is nothing to fear at all?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Imagine if the Chernobyl meltdown was caused by some "virus".

Russian's still to this day have no real control of the electronics they use. Did you see the RT news story saying Russia doesn't think Libya used airstrikes? It shows Russian military men looking at computer feeds from satellites.

It looked like 1980's datafeeds from sensors. 2 dimensional plots. They didn't even have a fake computer screen showing images of the ground their satellites took. Just WOW!

Iran can't even refine their own crude oil into gasoline. They relied on foreign computers/systems for centrifuges and equipment for their reactor. MAJOR OPSEC loss from that idiotocracy. You don't need computers for centrifuges. You don't need computers connected to the internet to run a reactor. Those Iranians are pretty stupid.

Russia isn't far behind.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Yeah i saw that!
Not to mention, the whole time Russia was saying that these bombings didnt occur, I was watching live streaming of Libyan aircraft bomb ammo dumps??? Curious what russia has to say to that, how would they debunk live video?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Hmmmmm......well I checked several sources before posting, so I believe it's accurate. If it turns out not to be, I'll definitly say so......but it seems to be. I'm still trying to find out more. It has been back and forth as far as any info from the Iranians..."nothings wrong"...."somethings wrong"....'plant operations as usual"....then today, they are removing the materials.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

It's so funny how they will stand there and flatly deny something that the whole world sees! It reminds me of the early stages of the Iraq war, when that guy (I forgot his name....the Saddam mouthpiece) was standing there saying "The Americans are not here!....that is a LIE!".....as American tanks rolled by behind him

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Defiantly makes you wonder about " sources" anymore!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here's something in reference to Iran's ability to run the plant safely, and concerns about that.

March 03, 2011
By Robert Tait
Repeated delays in the opening of a showpiece Iranian nuclear reactor are triggering concerns over Tehran's ability to safely run a civilian nuclear-power plant without the risk of a catastrophic accident, analysts say.

The worries have been provoked by latest setback to hit the Bushehr plant where -- according to a report published last week on Iran's nuclear activities by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) -- engineers are being forced to remove 163 fuel rods. Russia's state nuclear energy corporation, Rosatom -- whose scientists have helped to build the plant -- said this week that the action was needed after damage was discovered at one of the reactor's main cooling pumps.

It is the latest in a series of setbacks to hit the reactor, whose construction has cost more than $1 billion.

Analysts have largely ruled out sabotage -- in contrast to problems at Iran's uranium-enrichment facility at Natanz. That complex is widely thought to have been deliberately targeted by a computer virus, Stuxnet, which some experts believe to have been conceived by the United States or Israel in an effort to slow down parts of Iran's nuclear program with the potential to produce a bomb.

Instead, they believe it highlights deficiencies in Iran's capacity to competently operate a plant like Bushehr on its own. Unlike Tehran's uranium-enrichment program, which has been subject to a series of sanctions by the United Nations, the United States, and the European Union, Washington and its Western allies dropped opposition to the Bushehr project after Russia agreed to take back the plant's spent nuclear fuel for reprocessing. That move allayed concerns that Iran might be able to reprocess the material itself into weapons-grade plutonium -- a different route to a bomb from enriching uranium.
Read the rest at www.rferl.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join