It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mama Has a Brand New Toy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

There is always the possiblity of raising your own rabbits.

Goat is not too far from venison. The problem with venison is you really need to COOK it to kill TB etc. especially in Texas and the souther border states and in Canadian border states near the rockies. There is TB in Mexico and the Canadian Rockies. That is why the USDA is throwing a hissy fit over raw milk. They do not want people to know the open border policy is brining diseases we erraticated back into the USA.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Thanks for that LargeFries.

Lots of good tips and ideas, thanks.

I'll give Ebay a look i think..just a bit worried the postage will make it prohibitive..worth a try though.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Lots of great info in that last posting with all the links. Will have to dive into that a little more and make some notes on it. Sounds like you and I are taveling down a similar path with this topic, only you are miles ahead of me by the looks of it. Any and all info is appreciated, trust me. My friends call me an "agro-warrior"..and while they are kidding I kinda take it as a compliment. I grew up in a southern family that was self sustaining and in the community there they still to this day do some bartering of goods.... like Ms. Sally has chickens and I have the grain and the mill....so I'll trade Ms. Sally 2 loaves of bread for 2 doz. eggs... that kind of thing. To be honest, I wish I could see more of that up north here.

I too have wondered just where S510 will take the farmers, small growers and farmers markets. I don't like all the loose definitions. Even I who is no rhodes scholar can see the loop holes in that bill and can see the potential impact it will/can have on local markets.

I also know that I was very sorry to see my source for raw milk go out of business because of the USDA throwing its hissy over it...and while I can understand being more aware of the issue that got their tiddy whities all in a wad (the diseases being reintroduced into the food chain in the US because of the open border policies) it still gets me hopping mad that a good decent and responsible supplier ended up losing their business over it.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Nevermind

I REALLY misunderstood the the title of the thread

Back to your regular programing

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Does anyone know how long dehydrated fruit, veggies and meat remain edible/nutritious?

Are we talking 5+ years or more?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Just be careful not to do what I did with a dehydrator. I mistakenly locked my pet snakes food jar which contained several dozen crickets in that dehydrator. My snake eats crickets by the way. After a couple days, I opened the dehydrator and thought I found a can of freshly made raisins. They had a crispy crunch when you first bit into them, but they were pretty tasty overall. They made a real good snack. I enjoyed them. My snake was really ticked off at me though.
I'm going to try earthworms and roaches next. Why pay for
A) An exterminator
B) Snacks
when I can go behind my fridge, get a handful of roaches and dehydrate their butts to make a couple days meals?
Oh. And don't try dehydrating an egg. Opening that dehydrated egg made me pass out.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

....I was very sorry to see my source for raw milk go out of business because of the USDA throwing its hissy over it...and while I can understand being more aware of the issue that got their tiddy whities all in a wad (the diseases being reintroduced into the food chain in the US because of the open border policies) it still gets me hopping mad that a good decent and responsible supplier ended up losing their business over it.

There actually is no reason for raw milk to be banned any more than there is a reason to ban fruit or veggies or meat.

I discuss the whole subject on how to produce safe raw milk in my post HERE

I too have been an Agro-Warrior for about five years, and yes I have a lot of knowledge on the subject packed in my skull. The more I dig the more horrified I become.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Congratz mamabeth. I haven't even used my dehydrator in a while. Seems I can get more dehydrating done in the oven but the dehydrator (I have anyway) is good for small "loads".

Cooking with dehydrated foods is a bit different than regular cooking, though. Here's a site that has a lot of recipes for actually using your dehydrated stash.

dehydrator recipes

Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I bought mine over a decade ago, getting ready for "Y2K" !

I dehydrate a lot of fruit. We eat it when we travel, because it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Great for ball games and amusement parks; you can keep it in your pocket and don't have to pay for over-priced snacks! I am not a fan of lying, but we have diabetics, and I am not paying $4.50 so they can have an ice-cream cone.

I would guess I probably have 40 meals' worth of dried fruit in storage.

I had a thread on making jerky as well, probably 5 years ago. Herbs from the garden work great, also.

Have fun. It is something great to do when you are home for the day, housework etc., and you just check it every hour until done. Not much work involved, after you fill the trays.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I was getting ready to put my dehydrated veggies into
a bucket and Houston We Have a Problem!
The corn had mold growing in it.It was not completely
dehydrated before I stored it into a ziploc bag.I thought
it was,but it wasn't.
Make sure what you dehydrate is dehydrated!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join