It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

String Thory/Alternate Realitys/Dimentions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I posted these links in a different thread but i dont think anybody has checked it and i thought it truly deserved its Own Thread, This is a serious topic that could have a serious debate with like minded people.

These links are for a documentary made by the bbc ( 5 part ) and covers a lot of theory and Science into the "start of the universe" and has a explanation as to how the "BIG BANG" Actually occurred. It also explains theory for the possibility of their being other dimensions ( 11 ) and many "possibly infinite" reality. The are a few " Experts " who give their theory and explain it in easy to understand terms with excellent visuals.

Definitely worth a watch, you would not regret it.

www.youtube.com... Part 1
www.youtube.com... Part 2
www.youtube.com... Part 3
www.youtube.com... Part 4
www.youtube.com... Part 5

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Nobody Seriously interested in this , this is a actual full theory on the creation of our whole universe

Bump

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Ok you seem to be alone here, so Ill be back in the time it takes to watch these...

Funny thing is I am watching sliders right now, downloaded all five seasons and am going to have it on all day...very fitting.
edit on 3-3-2011 by RANDOMguess because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Ok watched the whole thing....and wow we are nothing special....we are one universe in an infinite number of universes.
And wow they are trying to create a mini universe in a lab....how could that work?

It makes you think about evolution, its quite easy to believe in god when you think your special the only things around. But knowing that universes are being created all the time would suggest evolution is working over time creating llllots of different dimensions to find the way forward. We are just a product of luck/probability.

So it goes like this. They could piece through space all the way back to the big bang until it got to a part of the explosion where physics of our Universe break down and could not be viable, called "the singularity". And after combing string theory witch claimed there are 10 dimension and super gravity that claims there are 11 dimension, they made M-theory. And So our Universe is moving through the 11th dimension. And Scientists use to think branes (membranes) were smooth and flat but they are actually wiggly and bump into each other at different points. The big bang possibly comes from 2 branes colliding and the matter left behind is now a universe in its own area not part of any existing Universe.

Basically its now thought time did exist before the big bang because branes did. So some Universes would have completely different laws to ours, and maybe we exist in some and others we don't. I am not really a Science guy so my thoughts are like, well in other Universes if I exist there is that really part of me, how many living organisms actually exist. Surly some laws world be perfect and advanced enough to dimension travel.

My brain hurts someone join in.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RANDOMguess

Thank you for a reply

Yeah it is pretty much as you laid it out im quite drawn to it. I think it is a excellent theory and puts a lot of what we do know from conflicting theory's, together. Just think about the possibilities. It hurts my head too.

It would also be a "fee-sable" explanation as to how the big bang did start. But then the next ultimately "big" question would be where did all these dimensions come from, how did they come to be. Who made them?
Pondering that makes my head hurt too much.

You could say "GOD" or a god created those too, but then who created "god"? ( not trying to make my thread religious.)

The fact that these scientists cant "pinpoint" a electron as it seems to "flitter" in and out of the dimensional space is very intriguing.

By way of interest if you did like this video you may like to read about the Worlds biggest Atom Particle Accelerator Built underground at Geneva, Switzerland

Link here , www.npr.org...
EDIT
Undated press releases tp://public.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/List.html
edit on 3-3-2011 by johngtr because: Add link

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

I cant really comprehend it, and I get what your saying about not wanting to turn into a religious thread. But after you watch the video so many questions hit you and most centre around a creator or god, an how it fit together...

Cheers for the links, I will check them out and come back and see if there is any updates.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RANDOMguess

Thanks for some input

Well it is a truly fantastic theory either way and the experts giving it have some credentials. Im glad you enjoyed the video. The Accelerator is also a amazing engineering feat. Astounding in fact it is 16 miles long and the particles are shot at each other at nearly the speed of light into a collision. To quote one of the scientists ( in link )
It rivals the Pyramids. Just astounding. But i also hope they do not create dark matter, they say it is unlikely and if a black hole was created it would last Quote - " a thousandth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second" .
but that is a "thousandth of a trillionth of a trillionth " too long for my liking , Who knows what the results could be. Maybe that is the 2012 problem that needs to be addressed , maybe.

But once again thanks for input : )

Peace

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here is another site relating to String theory on the wikipedia website gives some nice details concerning the Topic in question

Link - en.wikipedia.org...

Peace

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

I wish I could go to an alternate reality where people actually loved their fellow man and didn't just look out for their own self interest above the good of the whole!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

You wouldnt be the only one : ) , Our reality may be like that one day, but i really doubt it. At least not anytime soon.

edit on 3-3-2011 by johngtr because: Bad Wording

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

edit on 4-3-2011 by johngtr because: Repeated post

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngtr
These links are for a documentary made by the bbc ( 5 part ) and covers a lot of theory and Science into the "start of the universe" and has a explanation as to how the "BIG BANG" Actually occurred. It also explains theory for the possibility of their being other dimensions ( 11 ) and many "possibly infinite" reality. The are a few " Experts " who give their theory and explain it in easy to understand terms with excellent visuals.
I didn't watch these particular videos but I'll bet I've heard all this stuff a dozen times before already as I've watched many similar shows.

Let me ask you a question that seems like it's off-topic, but it's really on-topic.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

One physicist says 3.

Another physicist says 100.

Another physicist says 27.

Now, I want to know which physicist is right. So I look for their papers and read what observational evidence they have to support their conclusions about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. And guess what I find?

None of them has actually ever seen ANY angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Why is this on topic?

This is exactly the case with "theory for the possibility of their being other dimensions ( 11 ) and many "possibly infinite" reality".

Yes those are possibilities, just as there is a possibility that the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin could be 3, or 27, or 100.

We can't definitively prove nor disprove any of those speculative ideas.

I'm a HUGE sci-fi fan so I loved the show "sliders" about traveling to alternate universes.

But until someone proves it, to me it seems like sci-fi.

The most plausible evidence for what one might loosely call another universe is "dark flow" where matter seems to be gravitating to somewhere outside our observable universe. But I'd also argue that just because it's outside our observable universe, doesn't mean it's not part of our unobservable universe.

This article reflects many of my views on this topic:

First Observational Evidence Other Universes?

In the realm of far out ideas in science, the notion of a multiverse is one of the stranger ones. Astronomers and physicists have considered the possibility that our universe may be one of many. The implications of this are somewhat more fuzzy. Nothing in physics prevents the possibilities of outside universes, but neither has it helped to constrain them, leaving scientists free to talk of branes and bubbles. Many of these ideas have been considered untestable
Untestable, just like the question about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.....

but a paper uploaded to arXiv last month considers the effects of two universes colliding and searches for fingerprints of such a collision of our own universe. Surprisingly, the team reports that they may have detected not one, but four collisional imprints.
Oh joy, finally some evidence?

The authors of the paper are quick to caution that these results are only consistent with the predictions of bubble universes but do not rule out other causes, or even simple blind luck from a large enough data set. To rule out other scenarios, astronomers will need to rely on instruments with higher sensitivity, such as the Planck satellite, launched in 2009, which working on completing a second scan of the entire sky with three times the sensitivity of WMAP.

Data from the Planck satellite should be very helpful, for answering this and other questions. But at least we have some real world data to look forward to from Planck, for analyzing this particular multiverse idea.

If these results are confirmed, it would be support for a variation of cosmology known as “eternal inflation”. The title is somewhat misleading as the hypothesis doesn’t describe a single instance of inflation that continues eternally, but rather an eternal time period in which events of inflation, triggered by bubble collisions, can take place. Such collisions cause the rapid expansion of spaces forming universes like our own. Conversely, if a bubble is not found, “the conclusive non-detection of a bubble collision can be used to place constraints on theories giving rise to eternal inflation; however, if a bubble collision is verified by future data, then we will gain an insight not only into our own universe but a multiverse beyond.”
To me, observational evidence to confirm theories is what science is all about.

So I have nothing against multiverse theories that can be confirmed with observational evidence. In fact, I find them exciting.

But with so many other multiverse theories that can't be tested or confirmed with observational evidence, isn't asking if there are parallel universes sort of like asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? You can make up any answer you want and nobody can prove you wrong. It's an interesting form of speculation, but is it really science?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thank you for your reply, Without meaning to sound rude,
If you would watch the videos, they say they are in the process of trying to conduct experiments for observational evidence, it features some excellent scientists giving their belief and points of view ( opinions ) e.g. professor michio kaku - Professor of theoretical physics City college of NY.

I understand you are getting at the point that it has no actual proof,so why is it science? well it is a full Scientific Theory on the creation of our universe.

Hope i answered some questions : )

Peace

new topics

top topics

join