It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 good reasons no to be on facebook

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

Thank you for that. I will give it a go.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CayceFan

Thank you too. I will explore both possibilities.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The only reason I set up a basic account on facebook was to see pics posted by other relatives because one local relative who does not use a computer wanted to see them. I find facebook more of a pain than anything else. I would rather relatives email compressed jpegs rather than have to sign into facebook and search for their name then search for their pics, then have to click on every single one of them to get them to load the next one. Apparently facebook never thought of using a slideshow feature or my relatives don't know about it if it exists.

On top of everything else, it looks like a spammers dream come true with pages full of messages, advertisements, etc.etc. Then because I'm on there some relatives actually think I want to use the site and play games and send me messages about some farm game things. Although I must admit, some of my nieces who have posted several pics of themselves in bikinis look pretty good. Now the tattoos they have are another story. I have no clue what the strange writing means. I would not want to post a whole lot of party pics with them holding a drink in many pics. One relative thinks everything is private but was talking about her husband doing job interviews. I would not dream of doing or mentioning such things online. Apparently they don't think anything is a problem for now.

Of course being a member here for a while and not on facebook until a matter of months ago indicates I'm less trusting. Some younger people might say paranoid but I don't think so. Anything you post on facebook can be used against you in a court of law whether or not you have it marked as private or friends only. Of course anything posted online is not really private unless you really went through the hoops to make it so. It can all be traced back if someone wants to like the court system or the government.

Even on this site, I can google my name and find all kinds of posts indexed by google. My ip is logged and recorded on the isp servers for I don't know how long. Being anonymous only applies between individual users, the government can look up and find out who anyone is.

I would really like an account on facebook that was more anonymous than the way the system is set up. For instance say I meet a girl at a bar and she asks if I have a facebook account. Well neither one of us is comfortable adding each other to a friends list especially since we just met. You can see all the friends of your friends. There is no privacy there. I could just imagine all the comments from my relatives if I added a friend and it turned out she mentioned some job about exotic dancing. I think it is just chit chat when I meet someone since adding a total stranger as a friend doesn't really seem that practical or safe to me. It's possible she was surprised I was on facebook and when I said yeah, give me your information and we can be friends, she chickened out. Then she said she had thousands of friends and hardly ever used the site. Yeah right, same reason I already mentioned. She did not really know me.
edit on 4-3-2011 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It's boring and kind of overrated. Valued at 50 billion? No wonder our rating agencies got it all wrong before the GFC.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Facebook can be interesting if your relatives have hundreds of pics online from all across the US and some overseas and you read about what everyone has been up to. I have some nieces that know how to party as well. Currently all my immediate relatives live in the US but I have some new in-laws from Europe now. I only have friended about 9 people so far. There's too much information on there. I think they live online.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Now can you see the big picture?

How we are getting swamp by the system.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Illuminati_2012

1. face book is a fail
2. face book is a fail
3. face book is a fail
4. face book is a fail
5. face book is a fail
6. face book is a fail
7. face book is a fail
8. face book is a fail
9. face book is a fail
10. face book should only be your new ELECTRONIC phone book NOT YOUR ENTIRE SOCIAL LIFE THAT CAN BE HACKED.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by Illuminati_2012

1. face book is a fail
2. face book is a fail
3. face book is a fail
4. face book is a fail
5. face book is a fail
6. face book is a fail
7. face book is a fail
8. face book is a fail
9. face book is a fail
10. face book should only be your new ELECTRONIC phone book NOT YOUR ENTIRE SOCIAL LIFE THAT CAN BE HACKED.

I respect your opinion. What site(s) do you consider a success, or a favorite of yours?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

exactly bravo

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
It's important to remember that even if you "delete" your account, the law in the US (where FB servers are) forces FB to archive EVERYTHING and forever...

Not sure where you got your information, but it's wrong. There is no law that requires FB, or any individual or company for that matter, "to archive EVERYTHING and forever...".

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If you must keep yours, be sure to:

Not have any picture of yourself on it!
Use an incorrect birth year.
Turn on all privacy features. Some of these prevent your name being tagged in any photo. Very important.
Lastly, don't log in, keep away from it!

If you ever have a job interview and none of these settings are enabled, any one can perform a very extensive background check on you.

Also keep in mind, many of these settings magically re-enable sometimes.

That's a lot of work and still no guarantees.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join