It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 good reasons no to be on facebook

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
For all facebookizen.

10. The policy of confidentiality of Facebook assumes all the rights Let us start with the beginning. The declaration of the rights and responsibilities for Facebook specifies that your contents belong to them (read section 2.1): “you grant a licence to us not-exclusive, transferable, under-licenciable, without royalty and world for l' use of the contents of intellectual property which you publish on Facebook”.

9. The chairman of Facebook illustrated himself on several occasions for nonethical behavior Questions arise on the ethics of Zuckerberg Mark since the beginnings of Facebook. According to BusinessInsider.com, it used user data of Facebook to guess e-mail passwords and to read correspondences deprived to discredit its rivals. These allegations, if they were not proven and date a little, raise nevertheless questions disconcerting about the ethics of the chairman of the largest social network in the world. It is all the more awkward as Facebook in addition spent more than 65 million dollars to put an end to a legal proceeding asserting that Mark Zuckerberg would have stolen the idea of Facebook.

8. Facebook declared the war with the private life The founder and chairman of Facebook justified last January the changes relating to the private life on Facebook by explaining that: “people really became at ease with the fact of sharing not only more information, but also in more opened way and with more people. This social norm is simply something which evolves/moves with the wire of time”. In other words, not only your data belong to Facebook, but in more they have the right to show them with everyone. In oneself, it is not necessarily not ethics, except that…

7. Facebook encourages the access to your data They explain to the developers how to reach your data with the API ones, but are much less eloquent when it is a question of explaining the implications with the users of them. Facebook encourages you to share information which they make then available publicly. Insofar as their goodwills consists with monétiser information concerning you with an advertising aim, that amounts notching the users so that they provide information in connection with themselves to the advertising executives. For this reason Facebook is quite worse than Twitter: Twitter adopted the simplest attitude (and thus most credible) by declaring go very that all the tweets of all the users were public. Difficult to be clearer. But not Facebook. For this reason the American CTF is interfered and people continue them (and obtain win). The EFF drew up an excellent history which precisely documents the changes of the policy of confidentiality of Facebook.

6. Facebook does not want that is known When Pete Warden dismounted at which point their system functions (while excavating among all the data that the changes of parameter setting of private life of Facebook had made public) they prosecuted it. Why continue an independent developer? Because they do not want that their members know at which point their data are accessible.

5. Even your private data are shared with the applications At the present time, all your data are shared with the applications which you install. What means that you made not only confidence with Facebook, but also with the developers of applis. Knowing that good number of them do not have necessarily your private life like priority. In light, you must consider that your data - all your data are public, except if you never use any appli Facebook. Coupled with API OpenGraph, that means that you made more simply confidence with Facebook, but with all the Facebook ecosystem.

4. Facebook is not qualified enough technically so that one trusts them Beyond the ethical questions, the technical skill of Facebook does not appear sufficient to be able to entrust personal data to them. Their recent button “Like” facilitated the task of the spammeurs. And it is not the first time that Facebook is regarded as a nugget for the data acquisition. Either they card-index a little private character of your data, or their engineers are not very good. Or perhaps both.

3. Facebook makes incredibly difficult the suppression of your account The day when you decide to stop Facebook, the site does not facilitate the task to you. Those which tried the experiment know that it is not rather obvious really to destroy its account. It is as complicated as probably voluntary. Perhaps of tired war, you will agree to decontaminate your account. It is different from a pure suppression and simple. To decontaminate are connected with a prolonged disconnection, during which your data remain in the system.

2. Facebook does not like really the open Web Their API Open Graph has open only name, as for better dissimulating its closed nature. It is actually completely owner. You cannot use any of its functionalities if you are not on Facebook. A truly open implementation would function on any social network. In the same spirit, they implement has minimum OpenID to be able to say that they support it, just for better promoting their alternative owner, Facebook Connect.

1. Facebook is not used for nothing Between the rotted applis, the old classmates of which you do not want especially to intend to speak and the balls whose you had forgotten the existence, Facebook is more painful than useful for the daily newspaper.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Exactly why I quit FB - plus weird people from my past kept finding me

I think I am on Team WinkleVi

Great post, thank you

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. I quit Facebook a while ago. However, I only have to log back in to reactivate. Please, could anyone tell me how to totally delete my account?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Facebook does seem like a good way to start a Revolution though, you gotta give it some credit.

Also seems like a great way to make some $$$ selling intangible goods!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Ive been FaceBook free since new years eve, and it feels great, its given me more time to read about Reptilians and Niburu.....
....Hmmm, maybe its time to get back to the books.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
i like facebook
only the basic information i post is real
like the city i live in
my name is fake
an i only get on fb to play mafia wars
great game

i also use fb to post videos i find here
to wake up all the sheepple
i posted a awesome fluoride video yesterday
to bad no one cared to click like
o well
the battle goes on

so use fb
but dont use your real info on it

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

You can delete your Facebook account by going to the following URL:
www.facebook.com...

It is a two week process before the account is actually gone; I suspect this is to keep the addicts from leaving.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It's important to remember that even if you "delete" your account, the law in the US (where FB servers are) forces FB to archive EVERYTHING and forever...

Therefore, technically, everything that you wrote, or was written on your wall, applications, photos, etc... The US government can go back and check it.

Isn't that great?

Magnum

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Funny seeing this topic. Today I was actually pondering the idea of deleting my facebook profile. Reading this topic made me realise I don't have one reason to stay on facebook other than being sucked in by this shallow, time wasting / time consuming, so called, social network. Thanks for making me realise this, I have now deleted my facebook account!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I used to use facebook when it required a college email address; that kept it exclusive, and it really was only to keep track of your college friends. Then people used it to keep track of their high school friends, since everyone in their high school clique went to college, and then to compete with Myspace they let everyone open a facebook account. I started to drift away at this point, and then I noticed the "message board" like "Suzy befriended Sally," "Joey went to a party," "Martha broke up with Jake". Way too much information!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
theres allways a good and a bad side..

sure you lose alot of your privacy...but if something happends....im sure ..
facebook and similar sites will keep you informed about anything

cause to many people dont care for the privacy loss..
edit on 3-3-2011 by angrydog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I already deleted my facebook when i found out they own any picture you upload onto their system, then I heard they're giving out your adress and number to third parties
edit on 3-3-2011 by UFOIogy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

You can delete it, they certainly make it difficult and inconspicuous though. Google "delete FB account" and follow the instructions.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOIogy

well no need to post your adress and number there...and i dont care if they own pictures with my watermark on it

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE03

You can delete your Facebook account by going to the following URL:
www.facebook.com...

It is a two week process before the account is actually gone; I suspect this is to keep the addicts from leaving.

Thanks, just deleted mine now

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I just followed the link to try and totally delete my deactivated (i tried to delete it 12mths ag but could only deactivate it) FB account and it takes you to the log in page !
Now what seems really suss is that the email part is already filled in but the password aint ! Okay !
But the email it shows isnt one i have ever heard of one i have never ever ever used at all ?
WTF is that all about
Another strange thing, shortly after deactivating my account my hotmail account was hacked and started sending all kinds of crap to my contacts via some a 'bot' i think !
I never trusted FB its a tool used by every authority to spy very very easily and lazily into all FB members lives !

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I tried to get my daughter's Facebook account closed ... she signed up without my permission on her cell phone at school.. and everytime it went down she would lose the plot and have a massive tantrum. Facebook outright REFUSED despite the fact the account was created by a legal minor and broke their own Rules!

After a couple of emails with them I was informed that I must supply them with a particular Form proving I was the Parent... and that Form is a U.S. only piece of paperwork.. and I live in Australia. I offered records from the Family Law Courts here in Australia.. not good enough for Facebook apparently.

So if a U.S. based internet organisation like Facbook wishes to have rules then those rules must be of an International Standard that accepts legal paperwork from all countries.. and, it must accept that parents of legal minors do have the power and right to demand their child's account be closed.

Facebook is a Cancer in our world.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
FB is not brain surgery, its easy to maintain your privacy. Discretion is always the better side of online activity. The people that post inappropriate things about their personal life are the same loud talker types that will whine to anyone who will listen. Takes all kinds to make the 'net go round.

I'm no gamer but I do get a kick out of some playtime fun on FB. FarmVille and a few other games are like excellent ColorForms sets. One can move things about and what-not. Hey, I'm easily amused.

I no longer mention to people that it may not be a good idea to use factual info in their FB account. Most everyone I mentioned this to seemed completely uninterested, as if they are immune. There are still people I know who post about when & where they are going on vacation, or their planned night out on the town. Sooner or later someone will rob their house and a little lightbulb will go off over their heads when its too late.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Interesting, more fuel for the fire that it is indeed a tool by TPTB. Can't voluntarily delete, can't get a child's unauthorized account deleted...

Heard on the radio the other day that Google was having a drawing contest for minors, winners getting their artwork on the searchpage or something. Apparently they were requiring the last 4 numbers of the child's Social Security #, date and place of birth.
With that information it is relatively easy to reconstruct the front 5 numbers in a SSN. The first 5 relate to location/date...for example, "555-45-" was used in California, in a North Bay Area County, during the late 70's. The last 4 are your individual number in relation to the place/date of birth.

Dirty sneaky feces FB was trying to pull. Fortunately someone raised a flag on that scheme and it forced FB to stop requesting such information.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join