It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do Points Make?......PRIZES!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I have 144,000 points and would like to redeem them for a toaster and a 4GB flash drive please.

Idea....would it be possible to get donations offerd to ATS from members and sponsors for some goodies that could be redeemed for some of these currently worthless points we have?

They aren't even part of our posting info anymore and I had no idea how many I had until I just looked.

I don't even know if there is stuff in the (little advertised) ATS store any more, but what about other stuff that others could offer?

How about some UFO and conspiracy DVDs, products our members produce, discount vouchers, books, subscriptions etc. Good promotion for those who contribute and a nice incentive for making comrades in this crazy world of ours.

Just an idea to make use of an otherwise prehistoric ATS measurement tradition. Maybe on a monthly offers basis and people just pay any postage due.

Hey, I know it wouldn't make direct profit for ATS but there's other things for that right, but having "stuff" offered here would also create additional links to our site

Good idea or complete waste of brain?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
yes there is indeed still ats merchandise, and if you phone in to one of the live radio shows you might be lucky enough to get given some of it

I want one of these hooded tops pretty bad actually here I really must phone in next time they give something away

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
We could haz teh swag?

Mo betta bitchin.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Reply to post by davespanners

I miss the ATS merch page. I bought two awesome shirts off of there but then it went bye bye. I'm on my phone right now but does that link take you to the old t-shirt page?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I believe staff are still deducting points for misdemeanours?
As long as points have no value, this penalty is meaningless, and can't have any kind of deterrent effect.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Actually it appears to have quite an effect - at least on a percentage of people. You'd be surprised, I think, at the number of members who, after having a point deduction, become quite upset over it and seek to have those points reinstated.

As far as reward systems go, it's been shown that people actually emotionally favor recognition over other financial compensation... a fact that most corporations are aware of and "offer a pat on the back instead of a raise" training seminars are very commonplace these days. People do respond to simple kudos, and the system of points, flags, stars, and applause works pretty well at satisfying that facet of human desire.

Apparently the Pavlov guy was onto something.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
As far as reward systems go, it's been shown that people actually emotionally favor recognition over other financial compensation... a fact that most corporations are aware of and "offer a pat on the back instead of a raise" training seminars are very commonplace these days.

Corporations favor giving pats on the back over raises? Who would have thunk it...

I wonder who payed for those "studies"...

It would be cool to exchange points for swag though. I started a thread about that very same idea a few years back. The "prizes" (t-shirts, etc.) could provide valuable on-the-street advertising for the site!

edit on 3/3/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Personaly speaking, I only value points in as much as they are an indicator of my input to the site, and the value that is placed upon that contribution. For instance, when I recieve applause and a 500 point bonus, it is not the points I value, but the fact that someone took the time to congratulate me on a post. This time spent, suggests that my time here is valuable, and that my contribution is not going un noticed, or un appreciated.
I have said this before , and I will say it again:

This website is a place where a person can share thier veiws, and access a wide range of other veiws, on world affairs, science, faith, and politics among other things. I come here to sharpen my intellect against the anvil of debate and discussion, and post my thoughts on the off chance that someone here will benifit from my own take on the issues at hand.

Now, I know that being here benifits me greatly, and I truely appreciate the opertunity to advance myself, that this website, and my participation in the discussions therein provides. This firmly in mind, it is helpful to know that I am capable of giving something back to this community, in return for the keenness of mind that I have aquired since joining. Without a running number, it would be difficult for me to know, week to week, month to month, wether the quality of my posts was at an acceptable standard, and if there is one thing I would hate to happen, it is to find that after a time I become one of those who writes much , whilst saying nothing. Points , for me, are no more than a barometer which helps me avoid that fate.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I understand the point made about a "visible" record of our points, but that could be overcome if any points used for redemption were deducted from the overall total and shown seperately.

Eg: After getting my toaster it could be displayed as: Nerbot : 144,000 total member points. Redeemable points left : 98,0000

Best of both worlds.

And why isn't the ATS merchandise promoted more, how many adverts is the sale of a single Tshirt worth?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The number of flags counter certainly nags at me all the time to start more threads, I just dont have the knack of making ones that go anywhere though

Im not even sure how the points are worked out.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

You mean you dont find the privilege of participating on ATS reward enough?

How unpatriotic of you.

Can you not still buy lines of text and stuff for your avatar with them?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
You mean you dont find the privilege of participating on ATS reward enough?

And does ATS not recognise it's privilege of free user generated content to provide revenue through advertising?

Works both ways.

How unpatriotic of you.

Nonsense! I have contributed plenty over the years I've been here and still support the site. This idea would also benefit ATS with even more links to conspiracy related material and a greater awareness of available media and member activities.

Can you not still buy lines of text and stuff for your avatar with them?

Profile text lines are free I think, even if they weren't, I don't think I could have 144,000 of them do you?

All I'm doing is offering a suggestion, thanks for your imput however.
edit on 3/3/2011 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

hey wonder if your points might get raptured, you at that lucky number ya know.....

I've gotten so I don't care about the points...
and I'm getting so I don't care about how much money I make for the same reason, the money is getting about as worthless as the points are.....

new topics

top topics

join