It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are All Ghosts Some Sort of Materializing Hallucination?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
First of all, this is probably not a new idea... I understand that, I'm not trying to take credit for this. I simply want to start a discussion on this, basically because I'm curious if all these ghost sightings of my idols like Jim Morrison and Edgar Allan Poe are really conscious beings.. Or are they something more down to earth (sort of) and doll-like figments of our imagination (in half the sense - projected or physically manifested hallucinations).

I have no real reason to think this, it's just something that sort of clicks. It's one of those things where you are like, ya that sounds like the boring scientific truth. At least at face value it looks boring maybe. If you look deeper into it though, if this hypothesis was correct, it would have profound implications about our reality. It massively supports the idea that the universe is a computer and we are the metaphorical of course, 1s and 0s of an inconceivable machine.

So, I guess my main question is, would it be possible for a hallucination to become tangible (or just plain old reflect light)? Could our thinking of hallucinations be limited, in the sense that it is not not entirely in our head? Perhaps, we are drawing the hallucination on a cosmic canvas of sorts.

edit on 2-3-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yes.

But that's just what Dr Venkman told me. He seems quite credible.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Kargun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You know something, I was going to start a similar thread, but I was going to say that ghosts and apparitions could possibly be projections of other people's dreams and nightmares. I and many others have had dreams that are SO real as to make a person think that they must be manifest in some way. When you think about it, our dreams ARE real when we are in a sleeping state.

Then again....I may just be floating through the "way-out - isphere"

edit on 2-3-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: GRRRRR

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun
Yes.

But that's just what Dr Venkman told me. He seems quite credible.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Kargun because: (no reason given)

Why does some movie always have to come along and destroy a perfectly legitimate idea... I swear to...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Well have you heard of the Phillip experiment? A group got together, invented a fictional history for someone that never existed and had seances trying to communicate with him. Eventually, there were replies to questions they asked in the form of knocks. Once one of the participants said to Phillip that they made him up, they didn't receive any further communication.

I did some research on the case last year. I never found any credible information outside of ghost sites regarding the case, but I did find evidence for a "Toronto Society for Psychical Research" and some of the participants involved in the group.

Here's the best article I could find on "The Philip Experiment".
Source

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Fascinating! If this was an academic source I would be even more excited... Nevertheless it serves as some nice motivation for further digging. Thank you for posting this.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Look up Thoughtforms, or Tulpas. You'll have an interesting read. actually one of my favorite paranormal topics.

This is much viable in many ways, but would leave unanswered questions still.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It sounds like Tulsan takes a lot of effort and discipline. Many things are possible with the human mind though and some sightings can be from this source. I do believe that some cases are actually results from entities being seen.

new topics

top topics

join