It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Ever Seen A Bald Eagle?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by KOGDOG
Eagles perch in my backyard trees. My dogs bark at them. My cat hides under the deck when she spots them. I expect to see my cat flying away with one of these big birds. Fair is fair.... my cat kills little birds... she kind of has it coming from an Eagle.

I wish your cat well. I really do.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Killer pics. They all look good to me. But I understand that feeling of getting THEE pic.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I own an eagle feather ...

I will go out on a limb and assume from your user-name that you are Native-American ? I will therefore assume that you are aware of the laws concerning ownership of eagle feathers ?

I'm in no way trying to be a smartass here , just making sure that you are aware of the law .

Even if you are a registered member of a recognized tribe , you still need to obtain a permit from the National Eagle Repository (Denver , Colorado) , in order to legally own an eagle feather .

Minus said permit , it might be in your best interests to have a mod remove that from your post .

en.wikipedia.org...

www.walela49.com...

www.npwrc.usgs.gov...

boingboing.net...
edit on 2-3-2011 by ReRun because: eta links

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReRun
reply to post by apacheman

I own an eagle feather ...

I will go out on a limb and assume from your user-name that you are Native-American ? I will therefore assume that you are aware of the laws concerning ownership of eagle feathers ?

I'm in no way trying to be a smartass here , just making sure that you are aware of the law .

Even if you are a registered member of a recognized tribe , you still need to obtain a permit from the National Eagle Repository (Denver , Colorado) , in order to legally own an eagle feather .

Minus said permit , it might be in your best interests to have a mod remove that from your post .

en.wikipedia.org...

www.walela49.com...
edit on 2-3-2011 by ReRun because: (no reason given)

Interesting. But disclosing whether or not he has a permit is his own choice.
If I told a story about me shooting jugs of water with a gun would that be any different? Do I have a permit? Maybe I do, Maybe I don't.

I don't know if its an obligation of his to provide proof of his permit to anyone except a court of law.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

They have just recently been released in my area as a way to repopulate them. Apparently they used to be plentiful here, but no longer. Anyway, there is a lake nearby and many of them live there. I was fortunate enough to see one last summer and it was amazing! It was a juvenile one, but still just as amazing. I took a pic also, but it sucks. I'll post it anyway.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c9afee2244d2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by keepureye2thesky

Just trying to save the guy a bit of possible misery with court costs , fines , etc. I personally don't care if he has a permit or not , or how many feathers he has , I was simply informing him of the possible consequences of making such a statement on the internet .

I'd like to think someone would do the same for me , if I was unaware that something I posted might land me in trouble with the law .

Apparently , you misread my intentions . Furthermore , there may be others here who are unaware of this information also , so I don't see where any harm was done by me bringing it to the attention of the participants of this thread .

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Wow!

That is cool!
From the country that (so far found) had the largest eagle, that would be a stunning sight.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Eagle

The size comparison with the deer is definitely pause for thought.

Imposing and alert animals!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReRun

Just trying to save the guy a bit of possible misery with court costs , fines , etc. I personally don't care if he has a permit or not , or how many feathers he has , I was simply informing him of the possible consequences of making such a statement on the internet .

I'd like to think someone would do the same for me , if I was unaware that something I posted might land me in trouble with the law .

Apparently , you misread my intentions . Furthermore , there may be others here who are unaware of this information also , so I don't see where any harm was done by me bringing it to the attention of the participants of this thread .

No worries, didn't mean to come off harsh.

I understand your intentions.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

These are wonderful pics, too! I so want to go to Alaska now. I'm afraid if I go, my husband won't ever want to leave! Hee hee.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Not a problem .

Now , as for seeing them , I see them quite often down on the Arkansas River here around Tulsa . Below the dam when the gates are open , is a prime spot .

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Cluckerspud,

When I saw your thread my jaw just about hit the floor due to the synchronicity of it all...I had never had the priviledge of seeing a Bald Eagle in the wild...until this weekend. I was walking up my driveway (I live on the PA/Ohio border) on Sunday afternoon and noticed a large bird in the tree in my back yard near my deck...as I got closer, figuring it was a vulture, I was stunned to see that it was a Bald Eagle! Of course I did not have my new expensive Nikon D90 camera with me, so I figured the chance of a lifetime was about to fly away...I ran to the house - towards the bird, to grab my camera from inside. I came back out expecting disappointment, but lo and behold, he decided to pose for me with the setting sun behind me making it a perfect backdrop. It made the price of the camera worth it in one afternoon. He stayed for 20 minutes and I was able to walk right up to the tree (he was sitting about 20 feet up). I snapped over 100 photos tto ensure that I got that one good one - and hoped he would fly overhead. Well, he decided to launch himself directly towards me and I snapped away, all the while expecting talons in my head at some point. He passed by to my left about 25 feet away - as they say, a picture's worth a thousand words:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Late last spring my son and I saw a bald eagle fly over our place and then I saw it (presumably the same one) again about 10 days later....flying the same path. Magnificent bird.
:
edit on 2-3-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ETeeTime

Outstanding pics ET!!! Wow!
Thanks for sharing em'! Glorious to the max

spec

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
They actually nest in a big tree along side the Delaware River right next to my house. I see them all the time.
I have some pics floating around of some newly hatched / young Bald Eagles, as well as the parents. I will see if I can find them.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks and you're welcome. It was truly a magical day and after looking over the 125 pics I took, I am amazed and fortunate that at least 50 of them are just as stunning. The first one where he is looking up at a flock of mallard ducks flying overhead is now my desktop background on my computer at work. I'm still in awe of the sheer beauty of this bird - and the fact that the OP started this thread right after I experienced it for the first time.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ETeeTime

Crap thats the shot!!!!!
I never thought to myself, "Geez, I just gotta see a bald eagle one day".
But that unexpected encounter kinda changed me a little. Deeper respect for
nature. This thing seemed like it could have swooped me up if it really wanted to.

Thanks so much for sharing. Really amazing shots.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I too was in eastern PA (northeast) tubeing down the delaware river, and saw a huge eagle swoop down and catch a fish only about 15 feet away from me.....it was truly amazing.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

very impressive & massive bird, thanks for sharing

-B.M

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ETeeTime

That second pic is the money shot!

Very cool .

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Many don't know it but we also have these magnificent birds near the coastal areas here in SC.
I grew up "in the woods" and we had a nest of them behind our place.

About a year ago my family and I saw one hopping around in a field. I figured something might have be wrong with the bird so I called a DNR Officer I know. He did not think we had them this far south and tbought I was crazy until he saw it for himself.
Still not sure why it was hopping around the way it was but about 30 min. later it flew away.

And just think, if Ben Franklin would of had his way we would probably be talking about the turkey instead of the bald eagle.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join