It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Ever Seen A Bald Eagle?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yes, I see them quite a bit (every few months or so, could be more if I actually sought them out) but I live in the country. I have seen them most frequently this past year. Not sure why but there seems to be more of them around now. Some of the ones I've been closest to are on the side of the road when I drive by because they eat roadkill, especially dead deer that get hit by cars, etc. They are amazing to look at and I'm grateful I can see them. I've seen them perched in trees and soaring, circling in the sky. I would love to get a pic like you did. I don't believe in poisoning rodents outside, for example, gophers simply because I don't want the hawks or eagles to eat them and get poisoned. Well, don't want my dogs to get sick, either. It never fails to hit me, the awe I feel when I see one; it's really cool every time. Here's a link I found for more info on them...they used to be endangered in a lot of states.

History of the Bald Eagle

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

No , I never did , but I did see one once with a Really Cheap Toupee.......

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by cluckerspud

No , I never did , but I did see one once with a Really Cheap Toupee.......

Not only was he a client...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I've seen one high over the mountains above Rincon Reservation once.

I own an eagle feather from an eagle named Diana at the Wild Animal Park in San Diego county. It was gifted to me by her handlers.

I once saw a battle between a pair of golden eagles and a pair of hawks. It was extremely interesting and better balanced than one would think: what the hawks lacked in mass they made up for in speed, agility, and experience. The golden eagles were young newcomers, the hawks an older mated pair. It reminded me of a dogfight from WW I: a lot of dives, zoom climbs, rolls. It lasted perhaps fifteen minutes or so, ending when the eagles flew off leaving the hawks crying their victory.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Great pics OP. Living in Oregon I have the privilege of seeing these beautiful creatures once or twice a year when I get out camping. It never ceases to amaze me to see one showing off its hinting skills...seeing them pull a 15 pound kokanee straight out of the water is an impressive thing.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
What shocked me was to find that in Missouri we have plenty of Bald Eagles. I found out being naive at first; I was shoveling horse manure for a garden at my uncles one day (for me dad's garden) and found a dead rabbit under the manure. I was surprised enough at that and tossed it out of the horse shed and into the pasture.
Not but 10 minutes later we had a bald eagle swoop down and grab it up for lunch, this event was about 30 yards from our location. He was more shocked than I though, because I'm naive enough at times not to look into things too closely in life...

Thats my little spiel of a story which happened this past fall.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Here's a cool shot I took. Some wolves took down a deer on the ice early in the morning. Later on in the afternoon this eagle came to feed.

The next day, there were 4 eagles eating the deer at once. 2 adults and 2 young ones. That was quite the sight. I wish I had pics of that, but I didn't have my camera that day...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Nice pictures,

Seeing these big birds is definitely a sight to see..

Deep see fishing off the Washington state coast, and Canada, I saw a lot of these birds; They will follow fishing boats- While fishing along many of the small islands of the San Juan's, we saw one land on top of a distant tree, then when we were about 1 mile away, someone tossed their fish cleaning mess into the water and right then that eagle took off to get it.. They can really see like a telescope.. That bird was just a tiny speck to us, but it could see what people on the boat were doing.. Amazing birds..

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yup, see them all the time here in Canada. They do have migratory habits though. Beautiful animal.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Damm, I sure envy all you country people. Thanks for the great stories. My goal is to move to a region more outdoorsy. It just clears my head when I get out in nature. Right now someone is picking up food downstairs and left their car running with very loud rap music. NJ Nature.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
resized and uploaded just for you...
he was wayyy up there!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Eagles perch in my backyard trees. My dogs bark at them. My cat hides under the deck when she spots them. I expect to see my cat flying away with one of these big birds. Fair is fair.... my cat kills little birds... she kind of has it coming from an Eagle.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
resized and uploaded just for you...
he was wayyy up there!

These are incredible too. Nice shots. This profile shot is my favorite.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I am from the Fredericksburg, Va area and have seen bald eagles several times during the last 16 years... always along the Potomac River.... they are very impressive to see up close

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I love your pictures, cluckerspud! It is an experience to see them, in flight or in a tree. You would love Haines, Alaska; you start to count them, and then you realize to just stop and enjoy the experience.

Originally posted by apacheman
I once saw a battle between a pair of golden eagles and a pair of hawks. It was extremely interesting and better balanced than one would think: what the hawks lacked in mass they made up for in speed, agility, and experience. The golden eagles were young newcomers, the hawks an older mated pair. It reminded me of a dogfight from WW I: a lot of dives, zoom climbs, rolls. It lasted perhaps fifteen minutes or so, ending when the eagles flew off leaving the hawks crying their victory.

I can just imagine it! I've seen the usual hawk or raven vs sparrow, but to see eagle vs hawk. Wow!
Neat about the eagle feather!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
My Husband and I fish in upper Wisconsin every year at the same place. Been going there for 8+ years. There are bald eagles and also another breeds. Anyway they have there nests in the same places every year. They fly around the lake looking for floating fish. They swoop down and grab them and then assend to there perches. This one year we were fishing for walleye and got into a school of small perch. We didn't want to catch them but they kept gut hooking themselves. Well the eagles went crazy. These two were fighting over the fish. They took there fight to the top of the trees. One lost his balance and fell from a branch way up, but managed to grab a branch before he hit the ground. This show lasted about 20 minutes. It was a better show than any action packed movie we had ever seen.

Great pictures!!!
edit on 2-3-2011 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
nature at it's finest.
and to think ol ben wanted the turkey to be our national brid.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There are quite a few Bald Eagles here in Colorado. I live on the edge of Denver and there is a nesting pair near a small lake about a mile from my house so I see them all the time.

If you ever get a chance to go to Grand Teton Nation Park or Yellowstone Park in Wyoming you can see them up close. Take a scenic "breakfast" float trip down the Snake River and you will have Eagles diving down and snatching fish out of the water right near your raft. That is an awesome sight.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I thank God every day for the beautiful place that I live. I love to share my pictures whenever I get an excuse, and the ever elusive eagle is that one perfect shot I have yet to get. I have tried many times however, and while not perfect...they are always beautiful. This first one is from my backyard:

This is while on a walk out on my street: (I live near the skagit river)

This is my most recent picture. A Golden eagle...it was actually bigger than the bald eagles I have seen. Again, just down the street from my house!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I too have the good fortune of seeing Eagles in my home sky's. I recently read this article in CNN about starving Eagles and wondered about their food source scarcity. ATS'ers from BC is the salmon really in that bad of shape.

CNN.com article on Starving Eagles

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join