It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Ever Seen A Bald Eagle?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Last summer I was privileged enough to be canoeing in eastern Pennsylvania and spotted a bald eagle over 300 yards away with binoculars. We paddled closer and I snapped a photo but I had to zoom in so hard that the pic looked like crap. As soon as I snapped it, the eagle spread it's wings (which was friggin amazing) and flew off to the other side of the lake. We spotted it again and paddled all the way over where it sat on a branch. I took a few pics from about 75 yards away and the zoom lens, forgive the cruelty of the photos, I wish they were sharper, but I am glad I got something.

Notice in the last picture there is a deer out to drink out of the lake, note the size comparison to the eagle in the tree in the top left. The thing was huge and I will never forget what a surreal moment it was.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/66ef19a11857.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1f0bbb1a908c.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/915da190de76.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I would love to see one of those flying around my neighborhood, but I'm sure all of the light/air pollution will scare it away. Still, there's a few pretty big hawks living in the field behind my neighborhood, they're set up like every few light posts as if they're security guards watching over the field in case any mice try to escape.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Thanx for sharing those pics. For those who have never seen a bald eagle, I'm sure that they will enjoy them. Personally, I've had the pleasure of seeing two of them in my lifetime, back in the mid-80's while hitchhiking cross country. It's an amazing sight, and two that I'll never forget (unless Alzheimer's slips up on me, or the govt wipe's my memories, or I slip and hit my head, or...)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
When my wife and I got off the boat in Haines, Alaska, they were the first thing we saw as we drove away from the dock. They are everywhere up here and are making a dramatic comeback across the United States, so expect to see more. I know growing up in NEPA I never saw one, yet now they are spreading rapidly. Good for the species and good for the country.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
That's very beautiful and inspiring Op, thanks for the wonderful pics

Ive had the pleasure of seeing "up close" wild bald eagles hovering at the dam at the lake as i drove under them.

Mother teaching baby the finer points of flight mastery, it was magnificent

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MGriff
When my wife and I got off the boat in Haines, Alaska, they were the first thing we saw as we drove away from the dock. They are everywhere up here and are making a dramatic comeback across the United States, so expect to see more. I know growing up in NEPA I never saw one, yet now they are spreading rapidly. Good for the species and good for the country.

Good to know they are beginning to flourish again. When you are not looking for something, sometimes the most amazing things present themselves.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Wow, that is some good size perspective! Yes these things put me in awe and I personally have had 2 wonderful experiences with them.
Once, for an Environmental Sc class, we had to do an environmental impact statement on some habitat for these majestic creatures, down at Toledo Bend lake in Louisiana. We got to measure nests, assess food resources and observe their behavior. A truly enriching experience, and yes, the size, up close left us in awe!
Another time I was up in Alaska fishing around the Kenai Peninsula and we came upon a clearing with uniform trees that were around 12-16 feet tall. They were almost ALL filled with nesting Bald Eagles, and it was such an amazing moment, an epiphany of adoration, if you will. Some of the nests were almost 10 feet across, and there were over 50 birds in the area. It was a really sublime experience that I will never forget.

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Where I grew up I used to sit down by the lake and watch them pull fish from the water. They really are something to see.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I live in central Maine near The Kennebec River. We have several eagles living in the area including juvenial eagles. It is fascinating watching them hunt. Very impressive birds!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Clucker-Mang!!!
Cool pictures. I guess I never realized that I have never seen one. I've seen em in commercials but you know I have never seen one in nature. Thanks for sharing. I noticed 2 posts mentioning Alaska. Seems like a wonderful place to visit for nature an wild life wonder. The eagle in your pics appear to be the same size as that deer. Holy Mac!!

link   
Beautiful Eagles and good pics.. Thank you for sharing them.. Back in the 70s saw a couple of them while riding across the u.s on motorcycle.. Quite spectacular to see them flying .. S&F

link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

Originally posted by MGriff

Good to know they are beginning to flourish again. When you are not looking for something, sometimes the most amazing things present themselves.

They will not be for long at least in my neck of the woods. The ones that were caught were supplying bands in the 48 states as well.

www.globaltvbc.com...

www.canada.com...

edit on 2-3-2011 by nepafogo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
They are all over around here (Puget Sound) Last time I saw one was on the ground about 100 feet away across a retention pond while I was walking my dog near the house. Another great eagle to see is the Osprey (Seahawk) which frequents riverbanks. They are fishers and they hold the fist lengthwise when they catch it rather than across. Then they rip the fish apart as they fly away with it. I saw one while rafting down the Rogue River in Oregon a couple of years ago.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Great photos and nice lush greenery. I see you've even included a bonus deer at the bottom!

Yes, I have seen bald eagles. We have the good blessing to have a pair that nest not far from my property. I often see them flying over with a fish in their talons.

My favorite memory of eagles was standing on the top of a rugged hill, catching my breath and cooling off for a moment with my eyes closed. I heard a rustling overhead and when I opened my eyes two eagles were tussling and grabbing each other's talons and spinning end over end in their love play. Awesome.

And yes...you don't have a true appreciation for the incredible size of these raptors (wings-pans up to 7.5'!) until you see one up very close!

Here's a not so good image of one I snapped overhead. It was hazy that day, but his serene flight was so awesome.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nepafogo
They will not be for long at least in my neck of the woods. The ones that were caught were supplying bands in the 48 states as well.

www.globaltvbc.com...

Oh wow. This article is from June 2010, I wonder where this has lead. Time to do some searching.
Thanks for the info.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I see them almost every day. Literally. sometimes i see 3 or 4 at once. No joke. (but I live in the country, in NW Washington State).

The craziest thing I've seen is seagulls attacking the eagles. Those seagulls have some serious testicular fortitude.

Also I once saw an eagle divebombing a duck in the water. It took maybe 40 tries but it eventually got it. Then the eagle actually SWAM in the water grasping the duck, til it got to a rock that it could climb on. But it couldnt make it on the first rock, so it had to swim to a second. It was kind of funny. Never seen an eagle swim before or after.
edit on 2-3-2011 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by czygyny

I kid you not, I just got goose bumps.

Thanks for that. Awesome pic.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
In Hope BC Canada i counted 13 all at once at a garbage dump...if they are endagered in the States just come get them cause they all went north...great pics btw..

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged

I see them almost every day. Literally. sometimes i see 3 or 4 at once. No joke. (but I live in the country, in NW Washington State).

Been considering moving out to more country regions. Right now I'm 15 miles out of New York City. I spend weekends camping in PA even through the winter. Anything to escape the noise and pollution.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Another great eagle to see is the Osprey (Seahawk) which frequents riverbanks. They are fishers and they hold the fist lengthwise when they catch it rather than across. Then they rip the fish apart as they fly away with it.

I remember being in Florida a few years back and seeing nests on these man made poles on the side of the highway. I was told they were for Osprey, I never saw one, but every time I am in Florida I look for the nests and the Osprey. NOTHING...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join