It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CupOSteel
Yep retardedly stupid I would say. The other night on Wheel the puzzle was
A_ckland
New Zealand
Only left with Vowels to guess and all 3 Contestants missed on it. Really we are that DUMB.
Not that I watch wheel it came on after what we call the News here when I finished dinner. I'm still bothered by this.
Ignorance isn't Pretty.

I really wish you were joking, I suspect you are not... (I live in Auckland!)
Years ago, a rugby player here showed that rugby players justly deserve their reputation for stupidity by saying on the NZ version of the show "I wanna buy a vowel. I'll have an 'O' for orsum..." (He's insisted for years that he was joking, but I for one, don't believe him.)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by sabrinaleena
Here in America if you want French culture, go to New Orleans or north to Montreal..... And I didn't need a passport to see any of it.

Well, unfortunately you do for Montreal...but it's worth the investment. I agree with your sentiments...this continent offers so much, which is why so many Europeans come to visit.

You are correct. This is what happens when I post without a full morning cup of coffee. I'm glad you agree. The most foreign I feel like visiting these days is Canada. It's the one country I would spend extra money and time to visit.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I have to agree with many of the posters here; it's mostly a logistics issue. If visiting other countries was as simple as crossing state lines, then I'd be far more "traveled"; however, that's simply not the case here in the States. We also tend to get far less vacation time here than in other countries. That said, I've had wonderful travels here in my own country.

Last summer I had the pleasure of visiting the northern Montana Rockies to witness Ice age glaciers in Glacier National Park. I also, had the pleasure of visiting a wonderful Absinthe distillery in nearby Kalispell while I was there.

I've been to Dinosaur National Monument, on the border of Utah and Colorado, to see full dinosaur skeletons, millions of years old, still embedded in the stone they were discovered in. I've hiked in the Colorado Rockies. I've visited Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs.

Been to Effigy Mounds National Monument, in Iowa, to see Native American burial mounds, in the shapes of animals, dating back to times near that of Christ. Also been to the Amana Colonies (somewhat similar to Amish communities).

Swam in the Great Salt Lake in Utah, visited Salt Lake City, and saw/heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir perform.

Seen both the northern and southern portions of Badlands National Park. The painted canyons are breathtaking at dawn.

Been to Mount Rushmore.

Been to southern Texas to Swim in the (pre-spill) Gulf of Mexico, and eat authentic Mexican cuisine. Also witnessed the likely conception of Sea World San Antonio's Kalina; she was the first surviving orca born in captivity (that was an interesting "show"... with a lot of embarased trainers
). Of course, no trip to Texas is complete without a trip to the Alamo.

Been in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico all at the same time (the four corners).

Tasted world class five star cuisines in notable cities such as Chicago, Orlando, and Minneapolis (in the proper restaurants, the sushi in Chicago is some of the world's finest).

Visited The Museum of Science and Industry, Museum of Contemporary Art, Adler Planetarium, The Shedd Aquarium, The Art Institute of Chicago, and The Field Museum (all in Chicago). I've also jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at Chicagoland Skydiving Center in Hinckley, Illinois.

Visited pristine white sand beaches in Florida to swim in the Atlantic. Also made stops at Bush Gardens, and Disney World.

Sailed Lake Michigan, at least from Chicago to Milwaukee and back, with wonderful stops along the way (if you're ever near Racine, I highly recommend stopping at O&H Danish Bakery for their amazing Danish Kringles. They're famous for a reason).

Seen plays at the award winning Old Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis.

Been up and down the great Mississippi River with wonderful stops along the way.

Been to a host of amusement parks all over the nation with some of the top roller coasters in the world.

Been to amazing snow skiing destinations.

Seen numerous amazing concerts (including seeing living legends, such as Eric Clapton, and B.B. King perform live).

I could go on and on, and I have yet to even visit California, or New York.

In short, the U.S. has far more history, culture, and adventure than many seem to want to acknowledge.
edit on 3/3/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

There is some truth in what is said about Americans being Xenophobic. Although I would call it fear of the unknown and lack of self confidence.

I was an Army officer's wife stationed in Germany and loved it. I took off every weekend and visited every country I could. I was shocked at the number of other wives who were afraid to leave the base. Heck we were stationed 100 miles from PARIS for crying out loud.

This is what I think was the reason for that fear.

1. In Europe kids go with their parents to other countries for vacation routinely so it is not "The Unknown" when they become adults.

2. Europeans often learn 2,3 and up to 7 or 8 languages as a matter of course. They learn these languages early in life too. Americans are lucky to get a couple years of Spanish, French or German in high school. It is not enough to actually speak the language only enough to scare them into thinking they CAN'T speak the language.

3. Americans normally get two weeks vacation. This and money is the real limiting factor.

Often this time is spent on trips nearby that can be reached by a car full of restless kids (100 - 500 miles) Or the vacation is used to do needed repair work on their homes and gardens. There are a heck of a lot of Americans who never even travel to a different state!

Think about it.

Are you going to buy airfare, lodging and meals for a two week vacation for four in Europe or are you going to pack the car and head for a national park for a family camping and hiking trip at a tenth of the price, putting the money saved into an account to pay for the kids College?

Kids just out of college might be able to take time off for a trip to Europe but with student loans to pay and potential employers wanting to know how you spent every second of your time, this isn't even a viable alternative.

I still remember trying to explain WHY I was not employed while in Germany at various interviews. Just because I was in a tiny town in the middle of the mountains on the edge of nowhere was not considered an "adequate excuse" I had a tough time getting a job in my field despite a booming economy and experience as a chemist at two companies before I went to Germany.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yea. Good idea guys. Stay in your own country, the USA, since nobody wants you in theirs anyway. But you dont care whether your welcom or not, do you? If necessary, you simply kill a countries population, steal everything worth stealing and claim the lot as yours. The truth is, and lets just face it, Americans are less liked by the day. Ask yourself why or stay the way you are and carry on regardless, but then dont marvel about why nobody likes you.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
two words.

your mama.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It's funny how in the title the word Xenophobic is mentioned.
It describes perfectly the fear that some people in other countries have towards Americans!
Down Under, we get lots of American and Canadian visitors and they love it here and we love having them here.
So if any Americans are planning on going overseas, head down our way.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sabrinaleena
Here in America if you want French culture, go to New Orleans or north to Montreal. If you want Spanish culture and to see ancient ruins, go to St. Augustine. Further south in Florida for Cuban history and food. Want to see Asians in all their daily lives and goings on? Head east (or west) for little Chine in the New York or San Fransisco area. Go to Washington D.C. to see some of the best museums you'll ever lay eyes on in this lifetime if you want more ancient culture.

Funny Stuff ^^^

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I visited 18 countries before I was 23. Since then I have traveled extensively in South America and visited Israel numerous times. I have good friends in Germany, Slovakia, Norway and Sweden. I have "spread pollen" in many nations.
With all that travel, I find the US superior in almost every way when it comes to scenery, amenities, and sheer volume of interesting sites to visit.
edit on 3-3-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CarlitosAmsel
Yea. Good idea guys. Stay in your own country, the USA, since nobody wants you in theirs anyway. But you dont care whether your welcom or not, do you? If necessary, you simply kill a countries population, steal everything worth stealing and claim the lot as yours. The truth is, and lets just face it, Americans are less liked by the day. Ask yourself why or stay the way you are and carry on regardless, but then dont marvel about why nobody likes you.
I agree 100%. While we are at it, we could send all your relatives back home and end all immigration here.
How many millions of people sneak into your nation every year? America could be great again, we just need to concentrate on us again.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CarlitosAmsel

Two points...everyone likes American tourist dollars.
...and the fact is, as a group Germans make for lousy tourists. I say that with a Bundesadler tattooed on my arm.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Don't let those ignoramous' get you down. I'm from Ontario and I don't hate you guys. I don't like how your government portrays you or how they stick their noses in everybody elses business. But as a people I think we are pretty much the same. I would love to travel my country. But they make soo expensive. It's cheaper for us to go for a week to Cuba or the Dominican Republic or Mexico than it is traveling to BC or P.E.I. So, for all of those who's countries are the size of state or half the size of a province that think we are not cultured due to a lack of passports...we have more in our countries than what you have in 10 of yours. I don't mean to be harsh it's just I know how some europeans can be arrogant...and I said some..not all.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Your Experiences are pure coincidences. The US is a large place,the fact is actually that the us contains one of the largest quantity of intelligent people in a country in the world. I myself is an american, and have to see this at a realistic standpoint. YES there are alot of stupid americans,but it would be unlogical if it werent. But most people are very very smart

Same goes for lazy,ignorant ect ect. Norway for an example is the country per today amongst I-countries that has the most ignorants

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I can't even read this whole thread because it's embarrassing to me as an American! Most of you dingbats are proving the OP correct with all these retarded posts.

We've got every type of climate within our own borders, sure. You can just go to other states and experience a lot. I'm sure most of you have not been to many other states, maybe the ones bordering yours. Duh. Most people will never go further than 100 miles from where they were born in their entire lives.

I've been to 30 states and 38 other countries as well. Have any of you? I doubt it. I live in Cancun so I meet lots of American tourists all the time. 90 percent of them it's their first time out of the country, and all they did was go to the closest and most Americanized vacation destination, where they can be sure of having McDonald's, Hooters, and Wal Mart. Sometimes they will get radically Mexican and go to Senor Frog's, woo hoo! Cancun barely even counts as a foreign country. I'm from Miami and our standing joke here is, "what's the difference between Cancun and Miami? More people speak English in Cancun!" and it's NO JOKE.

Let's try a little test: How many of you "Americans" can even name the PM of Canada? The president of Mexico? How about the PM of GB, pres of France, chancellor of Germany? I bet we see about a 10% pass ratio on this little quiz.

Even so, 95 percent, no, 96 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
americans travel quite a bit actually. we just don't go to EU, we go to the tropics.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Archirvion
Your Experiences are pure coincidences. The US is a large place,the fact is actually that the us contains one of the largest quantity of intelligent people in a country in the world. I myself is an american, and have to see this at a realistic standpoint. YES there are alot of stupid americans,but it would be unlogical if it werent. But most people are very very smart

Same goes for lazy,ignorant ect ect. Norway for an example is the country per today amongst I-countries that has the most ignorants

OMG, is this post supposed to prove how smart you are? Because "I myself IS and american"? ect ect?" Same goes for lazy,ignorant ect ect. Norway for an example is the country per today amongst I-countries that has the most ignorants " OMG I can't stop laughing!

ROFLMAO

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

It isn't so much a problem of not traveling overseas, it's more that you Americans create some sort of cultural bubble surrounding your nation, all your media is crafted to transform you into the typical American. You show aggression and hostility towards other nations you don't understand. You don't even try to understand them. You all just stay wrapped up in your own little word, absolutely draining the Earths resources with your glutenous and wasteful behavior, whilst showing little concern or desire to change those habits. You get led to believe your entire nation is blessed by God and that you are saints of the Earth, but in reality the truth is anything but that. You know that the rest of the world despises you, and you constantly fear terrorist attacks. You know that your Government is highly corrupt and their obscene actions will have repercussions. But at the end of the day all of you still choose to hide from this reality and pretend it isn't happening. Pretending your nation isn't crumbling down around your feet.

edit on 3-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'm a native German and now a US citizen. When I still lived in Germany, I used to go all over the place and travel a lot. Since I've been here in America, I've only gone to Canada and that's because the border is pretty close. It's true that few Americans travel outside their borders -- and I do think it would do them a world of good to meet people of other cultures and mentalities -- but for most it's just not feasible.

First of all, it's true that vacation time is very limited here, unlike in Germany, where I had, like, six weeks of (paid) vacation time per year. And then it's become incredibly expensive. I longingly remember those German airfare deals back then -- a hundred bucks for a roundtrip flight to Mallorca and such... good luck finding those here and now.

I was just looking into a family vacation abroad because I really want my little son to see some of the world and not become an ignorant hick who's never seen anything but northern New England. But it's forbiddingly expensive -- a trip for 3 to Jamaica, for example, could easily set us back $3,000-$4,000, and we just don't have that kind of spare money lying around. Even flying WITHIN the US is unbelievably expensive now. We were thinking of going to Arizona on vacation, but while a few years back you could still get really good deals, now there's no flight (one-way) under $250 anymore... that's $1,500 for 3 people, JUST for the plane tickets! With food and lodging, we're easily looking at double that. And oil prices are going up fast, so even taking more time and driving there might be out of the question. It sucks; I might have to spend my vacation time gardening to feel that I'm at least doing something.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I was stationed in Germany back in the 80's in the U.S. Army and noticed that Europeans in general like to travel to other countries frequently. One big difference between Europe and the U.S. is that when in Europe, traveling to another nearby country is like traveling to another state in America...as far a geological distance. Also, they have mass transit systems to make travel easier. Another impression I got was that the average European has more vacation time than the average U.S. citizen, and because of proximity to many other countries and mass transit, travel is considerably cheaper than for most Americans going across the ocean.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Why go to another country to be the target of anti American sentiment when we have enough of the ignorace in our own country.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join