It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Last week I had a verbal altercation with a man from Britain who had a bit to say about us Americans, specifically .. our lack of travel. Or International travel I should say. When asked why I've never been to Europe, I replied ... what would I see that's so different? I've always wanted to go, just for the history mostly .. but for the average person who gets a week or two a year to travel with their family, we have everything we could possibly want right here in America. And while we won't get the cultural immersion of visiting Europe or Asia, traveling with a family especially, where vacationing is more for the kids ... I simply can't see what's wrong with staying in America?

Of all the Post-Industrial nations in the World, America by far has fewer passport holders than anyone else. And when I say by far... I mean, by far! Roughly 18% of Americans have a passport, and that only increased because of the requirement for Americans to get back from Canada and Mexico, you must have a passport.

Great Britain has the highest percentage of Passport holders at 82% .. and Europeans have the highest percentage of international travelers..

I hear it all the time, American's don't travel over seas because they fear unknown cultures and believe they are the center of the universe. But I have to ask, how accurate is that? Vacations are a staple of the American life.. we just tend to stay within our borders. Yet most vacations are across state lines, and our states average larger than the territorial size of say.. European countries.

In Europe if you grow up in Britain, you can see the Alps, the sunny South of France, the dry deserts of Spain or the forests of Germany.. you cross International boundaries to get to those destinations, you see different cultures and people speak different languages.

I grew up in Ohio, flat land and nothing much to see. Every year we went somewhere different for vacation .. it may have been the coast of South Carolina, Pennsylvania, the Great Lakes, Florida, and so on.
In America, I can go to the West Coast and camp in North America's only temperate rain forest.. or visit the tropical islands of Hawaii, the big city of New York, or the white sand beaches of Florida. I can ski the Rocky Mountains and fish the lakes of Minnesota, or see the Grand Canyon, the history of Natives in Arizona or founding locations of our union in Pennsylvania and DC.

If I were to visit one place every year for the rest of my life, I wouldn't see everything I want to see .... just in my own country. Our states all have their own character, ways of life, accents, geography and history. I might not be able to experience sitting in a French cafe, or see 2000 year old ruins in Italy, or be immersed by a population speaking another language.. but I can still visit a new place every time I travel, see new scenery, try new foods not common in my state, or visit the different cultures of bustling New York, to the laid back drawl of southern Tennessee.

I agree Americans SHOULD travel more.. but I think considering Americans to be in some way inferior to other populations because of our traveling habits to be a bit rash .. I don't think we are nearly as narcissistic as the World thinks, we are just blessed to have everything we could ask for within our own borders.

Well it completely depends on the people... some like the comforts of familiarity, some can't even buy a plane ticket (they are expensive these days, ya know?), some can't travel, some hate flying, ect.

I think the thread title is a bit too much when it boils down to traveling. If you were talking about American social life, collective attitudes, ect then you have a better statement when saying we're all stupid bastards. Much of the population is either apathetic, ignorant, or too lazy to realize how important experiences and knowledge actually is. In any case, your travel talk makes the thread irrelevant in my opinion about Americans being all that # you said, try again.
edit on 6-3-2011 by freesprite because: Re-edit and extra comments

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CholmondleyWarner
You pity me! In a serious debate you dare to post a picture of "Bert" and you want to be taken seriously..?
And you wouldn't know what a brain cell was if it introduced itself to you and gave you its personal business card!

Your problem is that you are all bluff and no substance. When someone enters into a debate with you and you begin to lose you get all childish and begin the name calling. Mind you, what did I really expect from a American? Actually, I expected a lot more. You've let yourself and your country down...

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people, I am 6'4" and 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Janky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm a travel agent, and let me tell you, plane fare to anywhere out of country is rediculously outragous. If you take the average american and ask them to shell out 500 to 1000 dollars (per person) to go to London (in January which is off season) or tell them a cruise of the carribean is the same amount (during the peak season or summertime)... I'll give you 3 guesses to guess what they choose. It's economics.

Frankly, I think prices are so high for Americans who travel abroad, because of the worlds belief that we are fat, lazy, and they don't want us in their countries.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!.............

UK's finest

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20ec948da7e1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1c363c9b18a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d85a625bc52e.jpg[/atsimg]

These sure are a fine bunch of dapper blokes......They are all gents...right?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

Agreed, except that the rest of the world is even worse. It's kind of like that old saying about democracy being a terrible form of government, except for all the other forms of government.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky

You pity me! In a serious debate you dare to post a picture of "Bert" and you want to be taken seriously..?
And you wouldn't know what a brain cell was if it introduced itself to you and gave you its personal business card!

Your problem is that you are all bluff and no substance. When someone enters into a debate with you and you begin to lose you get all childish and begin the name calling. Mind you, what did I really expect from a American? Actually, I expected a lot more. You've let yourself and your country down...

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people, I am 6'4" and 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
edit on 6-3-2011 by Janky because: (no reason given)

I never mentioned your mother you dimball!
However, if you want to pay for my ticket so I can come over there and say what I feel in front of your face please feel free to send the airfare...Put up or shut up fool...I've often wondered what a 6'4 245lb man looks like curled up on the floor in the foetal position crying, no more, no more!
Hell, we could do it for charity! Don't expect your mother to pick you up however as she apparently has bad knees!! Jeez....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

"Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!............. " quote.

Well, if you say so!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Anti-Americanism has become chic the world over. It gets laughs, applause and cheers. It become the cool thing to do. The truth is we do encourage it somewhat politically. We have played a different game in that regard, than the rest of the world, for more than 70 years now though. It isn't all good to be the most powerful nation on the planet. In an effort to keep our strength we have pressured and cajouled many a nation over the years... Don't worry, they would all have been just as bad and mosr, far worse, had they held the title belt (the British we out and out tyrrants across much of their former empire).

What gets lost in the struggle is that Americans built their success, just as past world powers did. Us stupid lazy Americans have offered an almost endless list of inventions, innovations and creations to the world, built magnificent cities, led the human race in the exploration of space and given generations of people around the world a symbol of freedom and opportunity.

Everyone is trying to be on top though. Those that are not, want to see those that are, fail. It's easier that way you see? They are rooting for our demise.. It's percieved as a win for them. It's just human nature. We are guilty of it too.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
For what it's worth, as an American I've traveled through Europe quite a bit and had literally zero issues with anti-Americanism. A few points though:

1. If you dress like a slob while on vacation you will get treated like a slob. Wearing Mickey Mouse t-shirts or some such branded nonsense will get you no respect and you will be heaped into the "dumb American" profile. You're on vacation, act like you give a damn about yourself (I've seen these Americans abroad, and God bless them, but please you spent a ton of money on travel and lodging, spend a bit more on decent clothes).

2. You must attempt to speak the language of your host country - even if you royally screw it up, you have to try. I was in France for the holidays and had a blast partying with the French and I speak zero French, but tried earlier in the night with my dumb little French dictionary. Well, the French (I met) mostly all spoke English and warmed up to me just because I tried to speak their language. Simple really.

3. Get your history right my fellow Americans or shut up! As a product of the NY public education system and later as a US Marine then college graduate, I was taught our version of events (we saved Europe from the Nazis because we're benevolent and such, we invented everything useful, bla bla bla). That's ignorant nationalistic crap. Get a clue that our education system is screwed up and reads more like propaganda at times. (Also, those in UK really like Native Americans for some reason, if you spout off your anti-immigration theories you get zero support as you will be reminded of who the immigrant is, and it's you. Though to be fair the UK has seriously awful immigration issues that is hurting the country).

Anyway, over the years I've witnessed these Americans abroad in one way or another and while I can't comment on their experiences, I can say they were absolutely propagating the "dumb American" stereotype.

Final thought, I get much more excited touring around my own country these days - we've got everything here and it much easier and cheaper to do.

edit on 6-3-2011 by Jason88 because: more thought added

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

reply to post by korathin

No, let me say this one more time for the hard of learning... America entered the WW2 because Nazi Germany declared war on you.. They took your option whether to participate in war away from you and declared war on you... As a German general said, Big countries don't have other countries declare war against them- they declare war on other countries! Great Britain (the great is there for a reason) stood alone and declared war against Germany after they invaded Poland. We alone stopped Nazi Germany's spread across Europe by winning the Battle Of Britain... This caused him to turn his attention towards the east and Russia. Don't get me wrong, once Hitler belittled America by declaring war on them and you eventually joined in it was very helpful. These were the days before you invented the term friendly fire for those moments when your f*ckwit pilots killed Brits in the middle east who there to back up America, so we could be fairly sure that the only people on the battlefield who meant us harm were dressed in grey and goose stepped...
far from spout nonsense about WW2 you lot should hang your heads in shame...

What drugs are you on? Seriously, I doubt crack could cause such delusions; must be a variation of LCD.

Hitler was FORCED into declaring war against America because he thought the only way he could defeat the USSR was with Japan's help. Anglo American's ran on the whole "Peace ticket" all the while planning for war with Nazi Germany. They knew Nazi Germany wouldn't be dumb enough to attack or declare war against the USA. The Nazi's didn't want to mess with America period. Back then we where a)the Saudi Arabia of the world, b) one of the largest food producers in the world, and most importantly c) a HEAVILY industrialized nation.

The Anglo American traitors trolled the Japanese till the Japanese sense of traditional "honor" forced them to go to war against America(pragmatism was something lost on the Japanese during that time period). That forced Hitler to go to war against America because of the Alliance Nazi Germany had with Japan (see Axis Pact).

And if it wasn't for American assistance before we even entered the war Britain wouldn't have survived the battle of Britain period.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Since much of the technology used to run the internet was made in America by Americans, talented Euros notwithstanding (Tim Berners-Lee et. al.) I believe complaining about our stupidity whilst on the internet sort of falls flat. You're welcome, world, for the USA giving the internet to the globe. Big lot of thanks we get.
I'm not a jingoistic patriot, but let's be fair, American technology has benefited the global community greatly.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've met many people like you and It's extrememly sad that you sit behind a keyboard playing internet gangsta to compensate for your inferiority complex, shortcomings and inadequacies in life.

If it makes you feel like a man for a few brief seconds in life then I'm happy for you but the irony is that sitting there, alone feeble, weak and looking at those Amy winehouse teeth in the mirror , you come to the realization that you're nothing but a pathetic and useless human being who contributes absolutely nothing to existence but fecal waste.

You honestly need to climb back into the dimly lit hole in the wall you climbed out of and accept that you'll never amount to nothing and need to realize that regardless of what Americans or anyone else thinks about us, We are what and where everyone wants to be.

Hate and jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery

Just like in school, when you were wishing you were as at least as manly as the smallest girl in your school.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've met many people like you and It's extrememly sad that you sit behind a keyboard playing internet gangsta to compensate for your inferiority complex, shortcomings and inadequacies in life.

If it makes you feel like a man for a few brief seconds in life then I'm happy for you but the irony is that sitting there, alone feeble, weak and looking at those Amy winehouse teeth in the mirror , you come to the realization that you're nothing but a pathetic and useless human being who contributes absolutely nothing to existence but fecal waste.

You honestly need to climb back into the dimly lit hole in the wall you climbed out of and accept that you'll never amount to nothing and need to realize that regardless of what Americans or anyone else thinks about us, We are what and where everyone wants to be.

Hate and jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery

Just like in school, when you were wishing you were as at least as manly as the smallest girl in your school.

(Pssst....Dude, you're kinda proving the OP. Might wanna dial it back a tad)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I understand where you're coming from but the fact that he does it also just proves that it's a double standard when it comes to Americans. Have you read any of his posts? they are just as rude and arrogant yet this proves the exact same standard.

I'm just tired of hearing people's useless opinions. In reality when these same people are confronted in life with somebody who doesn't want to hear their negetive opinions, these are the same people who go crying to the police for protection.

Words are meaningless. Actions on the other hand prove reality. You and everyone else can draw any onesided opinion you may want to spin it to your favor but the fact is there isn't one single American you can model us alll from.

There is arrogance in every nation, creed and color. Look at history and every culture tried to take over and dominate another because they thought they were better.
Until you walked in another man's shoes....goes for everyone.

As far as I'm concerned, the human species as a whole is self absorbed and the reason the world is the way it is.You give anyone some power and it'snever enough and everyone else wants what somebody else has.HUMAN GREED. That's why the world will end by human intervention.

here's one of my favorite sayings...

Author unknown.

"The spread of Knowledge and Education has taiught mankind little in the art of self control and even less in living with oner another....."

if you think about it, it has done just the opposite. man uses the knowledge he has gained to his own advantage while destroying everything and everyone around him.

Draw what conclusions you may but history is FACT and it points a finger at us all.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky

I never mentioned your mother you dimball!
However, if you want to pay for my ticket so I can come over there and say what I feel in front of your face please feel free to send the airfare...Put up or shut up fool...I've often wondered what a 6'4 245lb man looks like curled up on the floor in the foetal position crying, no more, no more!
Hell, we could do it for charity! Don't expect your mother to pick you up however as she apparently has bad knees!! Jeez....

Youre retarded, you got trolled with stupid memes. And I would trounce youre ugly pale snaggle tooth ass...

Just in passing? You used the word 'youre' twice, in two different contexts and got it wrong both times. Perhaps neither of you are punching your weight...time to sit down for a pint, instead. Make it Canadian, so you can't argue about beer, too.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

Its real life imitation of art. (in a f'ked up way)

And yea, there clearly is a double standard.

"Only americans can be ignorant, arrogant, fat, etc. etc. As if these things do not exist outside the US. To think this way, is to become what you supposedly say you despise so much in the first place. (ie you become just as ignorant, arrogant, etc as those evil dirty Americans) I find it hilarious! totaly ignorant of facts and reality. I pity ppl like that. Sooner or later, reality wins out, and they accept their fate.

Fact is, im not saying the US is the greatest thing ever! Just that, it is heads and shoulders above a country like the UK in literally every aspect! (inb4 someone brings up debt, crime, etc)

Some UK brahs are cool, and I respect that. However some of em need to be put in their place. (not so great anymore, are we UK'ers)
edit on 7-3-2011 by Janky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky

Copyright infringement

I go by my first name around here

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join