It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
reply to post by MRuss

After eating at the Mayan ruin, having the food take your bowels away? Perhaps?

What could be more "Moving" than that...

I like being in a Country that has a sanitation system in place.

I like being able to walk outside without having a Gang of Thugs run me down...

I personally could care less about a Mayan ruin, about as much as I'd like to have lunch with a Caveman.

That pretty much sums up the reasons why the OP started this thread! You seem to take pride in ignorance and xenophobia.
The impression I get is that in the USA gangs of thugs are everywhere. There are the gangs in uniform (police and military) and the gangs without, from bikers to drunken rapists, to white supremacists. Stay home, we certainly don't want you to come here and kill people!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

I agree that some do, indeed, live by old ideologies. For example, the ideology that I cling to is spelled out in the US Constitution. It embraces the individual. I shun ANY ideology that ties the fates of people together as needing to be "collectively responsible."

As to the OP; nice one! All the travel and all the knowledge of the planet does not make somebody more intelligent, more amiable or good natured, nor does complete ignorance create a person that is self centered or devoid of compassion or even intelligence.

I've met poor people that have chosen to live in relative isolation (in various countries) that are very bright, have tremendous integrity, and are full of love toward others. Likewise, I've met people (again in various countries) that are well off and wouldn't give you the time of day, or even look you directly in the eye.

And, OP, I agree that the US is a blessed country. Our rights are divine ("our" being ALL people!), the US just happened to be the one that acknowledged it in our Constitution.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I'll take being middle class in America.....hell I'll take being poor in America than pretty much anywhere in the world I have visited. I recommend many of you travel before opening your mouth and inserting foot.

Hell, didn't France loose like 13,000 people to a FRIGGIN' HEAT WAVE a few years back. The same kind of heat wave that only knocks off a few of us Americans? How about the earthquake in Iran a few years ago that killed upwards to 30K? The same 5.9 hit LA a few weeks before and guess what......no deaths, and no major damage. Yeah, America sucks alright, lol. Ignorance is bliss I guess if you live in one of those lesser countries.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Heros_son

You didnt understand my post at all..

What I wrote had everything to do with the way world governments, multi national corporations and corporate media establishments continue to operate and social propaganda, with the USA centre stage holding onto old idealogies and social propaganda which many continue to cling to beating their chest

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tony360

Originally posted by MrHappyman989
reply to post by tony360

I'd hardly call that crying foul. It was the other post I was responding to more than anything. Also how in the name of the blue nuns left boob did you know I am a clown? good guess mate.

i just know these things. just like i know europe is trash with out even visiting it, but you would have to be extremely dumb not to catch on to that with the way you ppl present your selves... oh yea.... lets all generalize all americans cause no one wants to visit your land. lifes to short to go visit a place just fool of jerks that cant look past a history book.

Okay I get what you're saying. You sir are a genius, "I know Europe is trashy, never been there but I know it is". I applaud your logic sir.

I suppose also by that reckoning I could say your mother is a fat ugly skank. I have never met her before but she is, how do I know? I just know these things is all.

Should I resort to Yo mama insults? Why yes I think I will.
edit on 4-3-2011 by MrHappyman989 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
First post. Whew, here goes. This video might give a bit of perspective. I'm an American, a former combat medic, a combat veteran and I feel like I have a right to say this.
I love America, and to the world I say that we didn't know what depleted uranium was. Maybe you don't either. Old topic, but it needs to be brought up, and it's not to be forgotten. This is my little way of redeeming myself before men. I wrote this song. It doesn't suck, in fact I like it a lot. It's my message. God bless ya'll.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I love America. I know this isn't really about European travel conditions or passports. I just needed to say it. Thanks

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

Americans travel quite a bit? But they just dont go to the EU, they go to the tropics? You go to one of the hunderds of military Bases that you have around the world, and that, in a nutshell, is it!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Speaking as an American married to a foreigner, I'm going to have to call out the "Xenophobic" title. It seems that actually Americans are more welcoming to foreigners than much of the world. Possibly because of political correctness or maybe because we are a melting pot..
My husband (from Tunisia) and the many people I've met worldwide have all told me that they were surprised how welcomed they were in the US.
Sure, you might hear about a bunch of racism or xenophobia in the news but most people I know are far more accepting of other cultures than vice versa!
edit on 4-3-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
No they're not.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
i love your post OP, i completely agree, although i have personally been to international countries, England and Brasil, Brasil i lived in for a little over a year, became fluent with the language and immersed myself with the people and only emailed my family once a week, and a phone call on mothers day and christmas, and England only for 10 days, both diverse from US and each other and both leaving me with less satisfaction than when i visit another state. England nice and cozy and has a great feel to it, as well as the outskirting land surrounding it that give their own unique feeling. But, both i felt i could easily receive in my hometown of Las Vegas, where i currently live. Here i can go to the Strip, where everything is all hustle and bustle and feels similar to London or any other busy city, but than i can go back home in North Las Vegas near the mountains and our new shooting range and it feels like a small town / small city again where my local corner market knows my family.

And than there's Brasil. where i always received hatred just for being American, let alone being a representative of my faith (i'm LDS). But once i engaged these people in conversation, they came to realize that Americans aren't what they learned about, not at all. Americans to them were fat rich and antisocial. I'm skinny, poor, and am social enough to embark 16,000 miles to a country i know nothing about except they make the bananas i eat in the morning, and the only thing remotely close to their language is what i learn from my local swap market which i've been to once, so i consider myself quite the opposite of their assumptions. Which surprised them, but that would only happen if they were willing to talk to me. Usually it the only hello i would receive was a friendly "F__ You American" in a passing car yelled by some poorly learned fellow. Despite the hatred i would still willingly return to the small island of Florianopolis, but not for the country, but for the connections i have with their city. Just cause i went to Brasil and can speak the language doesn't set my feet anywhere closer to visiting Rio de Janeiro (especially around this time of the year lol), my travels are based on who i know and what they want to see, cause thats what makes a trip worth it, not the things behind me in a picture, but the people beside me. Its not my fault their generally American, at least as much as it isn't your fault for the people in your pictures to being a family or friend

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
Europe is so . . . old. Kind of dirty. Used up. Crowded.

Narrow streets. While there are some old castles and things falling apart and are picturesque, there's not much in Europe that we don't have a lot more of right here in the States.

Besides. Every generation, through our military, we get to see all kinds of places.

Come to think of it - without the US, there would not be a Europe, but a Greater Germany.

Nah.

I'll pass.

Hahahahaha....
posts like this prove the title of this thread.
I lived in Europe a couple of years, i am living in Asia now, and i have visited US (New York, Philadelphia, New Orleans). I have to say, US is the most soulless place i have ever visited on earth. Everything is just BİG and nothing else is interesting.
edit on 4-3-2011 by deccal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by deccal
I have to say, US is the most soulless place i have ever visited on earth. Everything is just BİG and nothing else is interesting.

Then your foreign eyes were overwhelmed, and you missed the subtleties. How can you say that about New Orleans? Did you visit the French Quarter, where every glance brings something new...even down to the plates covering the water valves? Every city has it's monolithic infrastructure, but you have to look past that. Did you drive through the towns and villages and note the red white and blue bunting on the porches? Did you get out to experience the natural and cultural heritage? Did you talk to average Americans?

You may have been to a bunch of places, but that doesn't necessarily make you either a seasoned traveler or a competent observer. Too bad...opportunities squandered.
With respect, JC
edit on 4-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: of spelling.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The reason America is getting dumbed down is all the trash they allow to come in from all the countries around the world who are doing nothing but trying to milk this land dry.

You don't like it then stay in your own little world. We're more than happy and proud of who and what we are. Everyone hates because they want to be.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation
The reason America is getting dumbed down is all the trash they allow to come in from all the countries around the world who are doing nothing but trying to milk this land dry.

You don't like it then stay in your own little world. We're more than happy and proud of who and what we are. Everyone hates because they want to be.

I used the word 'myopic' in another thread. It's a good word...I'm gonna use it here, too.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
So many excuses for not travelling...

"Can't afford it." - Check out the NZ dollar... it's always been valued way below the USD, and yet kiwis can be found travelling & exploring practically everywhere from the Shreveport to Santiago (esp).

"America is so big & diverse, we have everything here." - What about Australia? 80% the size of the USA, with tropics, ski fields, deserts and all the rest... yet practically every city in the world has a bar with an aussie or two working behind it.

"People in other countries hate Americans." - Why is that? Could it be because most Americans support the foreign policies of their government, without a clue as to how those policies affect people around the world.

"it's too dangerous overseas." - In 10 years travelling in 20+ countries, the only place I ever had problems was in the USA. Robbed three times on three different trips! Gun-point, knife-point & by a team of con-artists.

"Why travel when we have everything here?" - Ummm... To experience other cultures!

But seriously... It is quite normal for young people from Australasia & parts of Europe to take a year or two to travel and experience different cultures after finishing high school ,& before either going to uni or getting a job, Americans are not bought up that way. They generally don't get a chance to catch the travel bug.

My experience has been that Americans place a much greater value on a formal (higher) education, than on experiencing different cultures... "Without a uni degree, getting a good job will be tough". I don't think this applies, to the same degree at least, outside the USA.

Also, not being part of the Commonwealth, Americans don't have the same opportunities to work & live in Commonwealth countries like young people from OZ, NZ, SA, UK, Canada etc.

I travelled in Europe for a couple of months with two American girls from Chicago. They had a great time and were welcomed everywhere... why? Because the locals & other travellers admired them for being there ( i believe they were the only 2 Americans in our group of approx 800 ) and the fact that they were open to experiencing the local culture. Also, the fact that they weren't shouting "USA USA USA" every 5 minutes helped alot.

This year I myself am looking forward to 8 weeks paid + 2 weeks unpaid vacation in NZ for the RWC. I have friends from Spain coming, and also expect to bump into some pommies, kiwis & yarpies from my younger travelling days. I may even try and sneak a quick trip to Easter Island while I'm away.

It's not All good though... In 1999 I decided that I will never return to the USA, even though I have family there... I just didn't like what the country was becoming. Thankfully I was able to visit New Orleans a few times in the 90s. That is the one place I will truly miss.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I am an American, I have traveled to 39 countries and territories (only four of which are in Europe) and I'm 26 years old, but I still feel like this thread is directed at me – the work of a successful troll, I concede to the awesomeness of the OP with the following diatribe:

Do I have a problem with other Americans not traveling as much as I do? HELL NO! Does this world really need a bunch of us loud-mouthed, ignorant, slobs (remember, I’m playing off of the stereotype here) getting other countries used to our generous tips? Our hamburger joints? Our hip-hop dance music? NO! Americans don’t travel much to third world countries because they are viewed as walking ATM’s. We hardly travel to developed countries because firstly, everything is too expensive (compared to home) and secondly, everyone is critical of our government so us regular Joe's get taken apart every time we sit down for a drink at a hostel like each of us are Hillary Clinton – we just want a vacation, not a freakin’ debate! All you Europeans do is talk politics. This subject of this thread is a typical case of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t”.

Have you ever had an argument with a Frenchman over American imperialism while sitting on the beach in French Polynesia? I HAVE! My forehead still hurts from all the face-palming! Why don’t Europeans stop whining about America and stand up against us on the world stage? Can’t or won’t? We don’t want to go to your dingy, overcast, overpriced moldy old continent! We fought starvation, disease and eventually your troops to get away from you in the first place. Why do you assume we want anything to do with you now? There is your narcissism and self-centeredness.

Moral of the story is that Europeans are clinging to something, anything to make themselves feel superior; because as they look around the world, at their impact and their steering of world events, they just can’t get over how ineffectual they are. And they take it out on us!

It’s like your mouthy old invalid grandmother living in your parent’s spare bedroom, always quick to criticize but too lazy and too handicapped to actually do something to make a change.

edit on 3-4-2011 by insite because: I messed up a sentence

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This thread does point out many examples of exactly what had been cited in the OP's post unfortunately about us Americans.

Lack of willingness to venture beyond our borders aside, many mentioned the expense of traveling abroad.

Which in looking at the distances involved as well as ever increasing airfare this indeed is a very valid point. Especially now with the higher oil/fuel prices.

But, in looking at the much bigger picture,This lack of affordablity IS also primarily due to our US Dollar.

Which historically has decreased in purchasing power decade after decade. Administration after Administration.
A troy ounce of gold in July 1944 during the Bretton Woods Accord was $35. US Dollars (USD).
Today that same troy ounce of gold will cost $1440. (USD).

In reading through page after page of posts, there is little or no mention of this simple fact.

Or that The United States Constitution has been subjugated by the Patriot Act.
We cannot travel now by air without a screening or "Pat Down" search first ?

AND that US Tourism by foreigners is actually way down because of it.

But instead, more of the redundant and oh so predictable retaliatory Chest Thumping and boasting of our military might.

Which only aids in further perpetuating these stereotypes about us Americans unfortunately.

Which also sadly leads us back to the OP's original point....

Perhaps some more travel would be beneficial to us Americans. It might just help us in seeing how we are being taken advantage of and finally seeing the Forest from the Trees so to speak.

We really do need to open our eyes....and wake UP America !!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doogal
reply to post by NadaCambia

We've just cained Narcissistic, Ignorant and Stupid.. in what, 40 words?
i find your post quite ironic given the core subect of this thread... was that your aim.. by the way?

hold on... you're from the UK (!!) and you think American Football, what with all it's bells, whistles and padding is miles ahead of Real Football? Not saying i don't like American Football - it's pretty entertaining truth be told. But come on, saying it's for those who cannot think for them selves pretty much just pigeon holed 75% of the global population.
edit on 3-3-2011 by Doogal because: (no reason given)

75% of the worlds population can't think for themselves. But the number of football fans isn't that high, it's a FIFA myth.

10% of the global population, at best. And what's wrong with padding? Even with padding it's less metrosexual than soccer.

I honestly believe that if you exposed a nation who'd never ever seen either sport, to a wide range of popular sports in the West, that soccer wouldn't come close to being the most popular. It only is because of culture and being pushed on children since birth. Similar to religion. But hey, soccer fans even admit that, it's a religion. That's why most Brits watch Soccer and most Americans watch AF.

In terms of product quality soccers got nothing. Most soccer fans don't even watch games unless their team is playing, which tells you everything you need to know about quality of games and entertainment value.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CholmondleyWarner
reply to post by anumohi

"I want to live in the UK so i can have 24 hour surveillance in my house and every street corner making sure i'm safe and don't fall down drunk and hurt myself " quote.

You're spot on my friend. Here in Liverpool every street corner has a CCTV, then there's the ones dotted along our roads every 5o feet or so, and the police vans driving around with a pole sticking out the top with a camera on it! We're constantly being spied upon...
We were once a country of lions but now we've been reduced to extra's in our own private Trueman show...

LMao they're the worst. Have you seen those modified police vans covered in cameras. They look more akin to tanks than police vans. I can't find any pictures online but I've seen them about, and I'm in the NW too

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join