It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spannera
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

Most Brits like Americans we just enjoy winding you up.

Well...there is that.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

'nuff said

I hate cheesy songs like this. They should be banned. Makes me want to puke!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I've been reading the posts here (some of them silly to the nth degree) and what you have here is a thread of stereotypes about whole societies of people none of whom any of us will personally know every person apart of those societies. Traveling abroad apparently does not make a person well read judging by some of the posts on this thread. We can all do this, look around and see people dissatisfied with their perspective governments. So it would seem all is not well in the world regardless to which continent one lives. The average person attempting to maintain in the current global system is working hard trying to hang on to employment, feed their families, and keep from being homeless. Kinda makes traveling through Europe or anywhere else for vacation a moot matter. Yes there are those who are not struggling to maintain themselves but even many of them may turn down vacations that will take them abroad in these uncertain times.

In a nutshell it seems the title of this thread could apply to more than just Americans, it could be anyone.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

Very well said!
When are people going to realise that country patrioism is a joke! and keeping us in the dark ages.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I would absolutely LOVE to travel to other countries, namely New Zealand, Austria, and the Holy Land (I honestly don't care if I get blown up if I can see the cradle of civilization before I die). The issue is as a very British poster put it, Americans get screwed over with terrible travel costs.

However, I love my country (not in the Patriotic, "I don't recognize any faults with our government" way) and I love how I can for a few hundred dollars travel hundreds of miles and see 3 unique topographies along the way. I love all of the small roadside towns and out of the way historic sites. I have traveled all over the United States and I can say that, though the Culture is fairly homogenous, any topography you can find in Europe, Asia, or Africa you can find in America. My favorite place to travel above all else, is the American Southwest, especially Arizona. The Southwest has a unique flavor and culture (aside from Phoenix; don't go) and the landscape is incredible, there's nothing else like it. Seriously, in a day I could go from a red rock canyon to an expanse of pine forest and dormant volcanoes, and end the day in forest canyon watching the orange purple sunset reflecting off of the river below while sitting in a Native ruin carved into the canyon wall.

It's not xenophobic that we travel our country alone and extensively. It's travel focus. We get as much out of our country as possible.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kallisti36

Oh, and anyone who is interested in following that itenerary I gave, those places are: Sedona, outer Flagstaff, and Walnut Canyon. I suppose you could also fit the Grand Canyon in there, but you really need a full day to take it all in.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I will give you the war of independence, with the proviso that you have to admit that French involvement was instrumental in obtaining the withdrawal of British forces.(not cessation was never declared)
Absolutely, French involvement was very important. However they did not intervene until we had some military victories under our belt to show we were serious.

War of 1812 - Yeah but we kept the Canadian territories which the Americans were perusing with the aid of you French mates. AND we burnt out the White House
Granted. However we did fight the preeminent military power of the time to a standstill. Trying to take Canada was an idiot's move at that time anyway. Should have done it in 1915 or 1940

Spanish war - know nothing about it
You should read up on it, it was actually quite an interesting conflict.

WW1 - Only following the torpedoing of the Lusitania. was an overseas task force despatched. Your contribution to WW1 was minimal to say the least.
I agree, which is why I combined it with WWII

WW2 - USA was actually in support of the Nazi regime up to 1939. And after than still refused to support Britain as we literally stood alone against Germany.
Your view is quite skewed here. There were fascist elements, as there were also communist elements. However, overall, we(the population)just didn't care. That is why Roosevelt and King(among others) had to engineer our entry into the war.

I have never heard of the USA arming thr Russian, for my own education do you have any details on this.
In two particular areas the help was indispensable. With major agricultural regions of the Soviet Union under enemy occupation, and the unsatisfactory system of distribution and transportation, to say nothing of mismanagement, the Soviet state had more than a nodding acquaintance with famine. Without Western aid, during the war the Soviet population would have been in danger of sharing the fate of those trapped in Leningrad and the earlier victims of collectivization. Even with the American aid, many Russians died from lack of food. Equally important was Lend-Lease's contribution to transportation. It would have been impossible for the Red Army to move the masses of troops and supplies on the primitive roads to the front lines without American Studebaker trucks, which also served as the launching pads for the dreaded Soviet rocket artillery. The trucks were also used for more sinister activities, including the deportation of the North Caucasus Muslims. Less satisfactory for combat were the Western tanks, inferior to the German machines and particularly disadvantaged in the open terrain of the Eastern Front. The memoirs of General Dmitri Loza, published in English in 1996, give us a vivid picture of how these tanks were employed by the Russians. American aircraft, flown by Russian ferry pilots across the vast expanse of Siberia, were put to good use by the Soviet air forces even with planes that were less than popular with Western pilots. A case in point was the Bell P-39 Airacobra, used both as a low-altitude fighter and as ground support. Its odd shape gave Soviet censors fits because it was difficult to conceal that it was the favorite mount of their second-highest-ranking ace, the future marshal of aviation, Aleksandar I. Pokryshkin. Besides weaponry and food, Lend-Lease provided the Soviet Union with other resources, ranging from clothing to metals.
American Lend-lease deliveries to Russia included also more than 400.000 trucks, over 12.000 tanks and other combat vehicles, 32.000 motorcycles, 13.000 locomotives and railway cars, 8.000 anti-aircraft cannons and machine-guns, 135.000 submachine guns, 300.000 tons of explosives, 40.000 field radios, some 400 radar systems, 400.000 metal cutting machi­ne tools, several million tons of foodstuff, steel, other metals, oil and gasoline, chemicals etc. Lend-lease aircraft amounted to 18% of all aircraft in the Soviet air forces, 20% of all bombers, and 16-23% of all fighters (numbers vary depending on calculation methods), and 29% of all naval aircraft. In some AF commands and fronts the proportion of Lend-Lease aircraft was even higher: of the 9.888 fighters delivered to the air defense (PVO) fighter units in 1941-45 6.953 (or over 70%!) were British or American. In the AF of the Karelian front lend-lease aircraft amounted to about two-thirds of all combat aircraft in 1942-43, practically all torpedo bombers of the naval air forces were A-20G Bostons in 1944-45 etc.

Involvement finally came after bombing of pearl harbour as we know. What you won't know is that due to the quirk of the international date line. BRITISH forces for fighting hand to hand with invading Japanese forces in the Malay Jungle 3 hours before the attack in Hawaii.
The USN was involved in WWII prior to Pearl Harbor. It started with implementing FDR’s promise to give Churchill “all aid short of war,” on 18 April Admiral King issued OPERATION PLAN 3-41. The warships of any belligerent – except for powers having West Indian possessions – coming within twenty-five miles of a vastly expanded Western Hemisphere, will be considered trespassers and dealt-with as pirates. “Entrance into the Western Hemisphere by naval ships or aircraft of belligerents…is to be viewed as possibly actuated by an unfriendly interest toward shipping or territory in the Western Hemisphere.” Admiral King's orders to the fleet was to implement much more than a standard defensive doctrine. He underlined the operative words in OPPLAN 3-41. “If any such naval vessels or aircraft are encountered within twenty-five miles of Western Hemisphere territory, except the Azores, warn them to move twenty-five miles from such territory and, in case of failure to heed such warning, attack them.” In early July, six months after the President’s “arsenal of democracy” speech, it was time to ratchet up the standoff at sea. FDR wrote to Admiral Stark. “It is necessary under the conditions of modern warfare to recognize that the words ‘threat of attack’ may extend reasonably long distances away from a convoyed ship or ships. It thus seems clear that the very presence of a German submarine or raider on or near the line of communications constitutes ‘threat of attack.’ Therefore, the presence of any German submarine or raider should be dealt with by action looking to the elimination of such ‘threat of attack’ on the lines of communication, or close to it.”

US joined the war by proxy on the point that germany and japan were allied.
Actually, Germany and Italy declared war on the USA December 11th, 1941.

although the final contribution of US troops, in the invasion of Italy and france help extremely to meet our Russian Allies demands of a second front by 1943 (although this was delayed through 1944)
I could argue that topic as well, but I won't at this point.

A whole dissatation could be written here
I know, I wrote one specifically on the topic of lend lease and the days leading up to Pearl Harbor.

Korean - British and Australian forces were HEAVILY involved in this. Vietnam - Again Australian Forces were involved.
That has little to do with my point. The US has fought no war alone, with the exception of the civil war anyway.

So, never is simple as you think is it, and no amoutn of hollywood films or flag waving jingoism will change these facts. it just slews people perception. Just like according to Hollywood Americans were responsible for the finding and cracking of the enigma machine. that's just complete fantasy!
I am curious, do YOU know who cracked enigma and how? I will give you a hint. The main break was from neither a Brit nor an American.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I also see no need to travel abroad.Americans are also pinching pennys more then ever. our economy is nil. I can jump in my car and hit 2 huge malls 40 places to eat various foods from around the world. I can a hit four huge cinemas. I can jump in my car travel 3 hours and be in canada if I like. My luck I go to say england, visit some cousins in yorkshire on my dads side i get thrown in the clink for spitting on some sidewalk and it takes a year to get home. I'm not takin no chances I'm staying here were I have it all at my finger tips. even though the countrys going broke I don't ever wanna travel but local.
edit on 3-3-2011 by mrmmo because: Spelling

edit on 3-3-2011 by mrmmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I'm not sure whether it has been mentioned, but really, why would Americans want to travel abroad now that they have to endure the risks of a quickie grope when they leave/return...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I'm not sure whether it has been mentioned, but really, why would Americans want to travel abroad now that they have to endure the risks of a quickie grope when they leave/return...

That is a very good point. Road trip it is!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

You don't have to leave the country for that privilege...just hop on a plane.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Just a irrelvent man with a mind like a child making irrelevent generalizing comments not to mention to get your family over seas cost fortune.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by FarArcher
Europe is so . . . old. Kind of dirty. Used up. Crowded.

Narrow streets. While there are some old castles and things falling apart and are picturesque, there's not much in Europe that we don't have a lot more of right here in the States.

Besides. Every generation, through our military, we get to see all kinds of places.

The stupid, it burns! Aaaaaarrrgghhhhhhhhhhh!
Newsflash, bombing a place flat and killling as many of the inhabitants as you can doesn't count as "seeing a place"...
Vicky

Newsflash!! America has bases in over 100 countries and we are not attacking them right now.

Nah, attacking your bases overseas would be kind of stupid....

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Why do i need to travel outside the US? Why would I want to?
Sorry, but I have about 3 weeks of vacation during the year. That time is to spend with my family doing things mostly for the kids. Disney, camping and so on.
I take about 3 days off to hunt.
Traveling to Europe is expensive, and that money can be spent to provide instead for my family, and not the economy of whining Brits and the emerging hostile country of Mexico.
I really hate people complaining about what others do. Especially people crying over me not doing what they do or want me to do.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
My main argument against the whole "Americans are too ignorant to travel" statement made by this British man is money. I would LOVE to travel outside of the U.S. to Europe or Asia, but I simply do not have enough money to do so. I mean, aside from the plane ticket, you have to have cash for any hotels, taxi's/car rental, food, entertainment, and it all just seems way more expensive than just traveling within the States.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellen15

Originally posted by sabrinaleena
Here in America if you want French culture, go to New Orleans or north to Montreal. If you want Spanish culture and to see ancient ruins, go to St. Augustine. Further south in Florida for Cuban history and food. Want to see Asians in all their daily lives and goings on? Head east (or west) for little Chine in the New York or San Fransisco area. Go to Washington D.C. to see some of the best museums you'll ever lay eyes on in this lifetime if you want more ancient culture.

Funny Stuff ^^^

Why bother, just go to the Epcot centers World Showcase and see the world.

My palm is now getting dangerously close to my face....

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihsahn

You are telling the truth, economy is the biggest obstacle I think for most Americans.

BTW, I've seen your posts before and thought you loved to travel to Ihsaan, North-Thailand..... Because of the mountainous background...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Rockpuck

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

That describes a healthy majority of the planet, and I don't think becoming will traveled changes any of it.

What you're saying, essentially, is that you can't polish a turd.

No, but you can roll it in glitter.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

But to say that you've got everything in the US so there is no need to travel is kind of re-enforcing the stereotype.

What? If we don't have something, we buy it, import it or build it. Of course we have everything we need here.
What could we possibly HAVE to leave the country for that we can't get here?

You forgot invade it. The answer to your question is oil.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
Well it's a bit more expensive for us, considering the distance. Naturally if you lived in Germany, you'd travel all over. Plus with all the extra vacation time countries other than the US have...

edit on 2-3-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

The Europeans travel to the USA because we have the sunshine and wonderful
5 star resorts. The weather in the UK and Germany is cold and cloudy most of the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join