It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by NadaCambia

I know you europeans and especially the french have to tell yourselves that. That doesn't make it true though.

What makes it true is the fact it is true, and all historians outside of America will tell you so. Without your European allies Britain would have crushed America. That's standard objective historical fact.
Really? So the surrender at Saratoga prior to French involvement never happened?

You can't accept it because you're insecure and feel some need to prove your worth militarily, as without the Revolutionary war and WW2 to your name, it comes to light that you've had your arse-kicked in every conflict you've ever engaged in.
Wow, seriously? Do they teach history in the UK? Or did you just fail? Let's examine our military history then.

The American Revolution: From 1775 to 1782, the Americans faced off against the largest empire in the world. The French did not assist us until after the victory at Saratoga. Prior to that they sold us arms and ammunition only.

The War of 1812: Some call it the Second War of Independence, for when it ended and the US had fought Great Britain to a stalemate, America's independence was assured.

The Mexican-American War: Cemented Texas into the union and resulted in the conquest of Territory including California.

The Spanish American War: America became a world power gaining control of Puerto Rico, The Philippines, and Cuba.

WW I and WW II: I am sure even you know about them, though your views are seriously skewed. The UK would have starved had the US not intervened.Had the US not armed and supplied the Russians, Germany might well have defeated them.

The Korean War: South Korea is still here, politics prevented a full victory.

The Vietnam War: Counted as our only real loss, though we won all of the battles. Again a lack of political fortitude.

Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom: Awesome military victories with an APPARENT inability to secure the peace.
edit on 3-3-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: Damn all homonyms anyway

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
You're wrong if you think you wont benefit from traveling outside your familiar culture. Why go outside if I have all these cool video games right here?

You wont leave the country just because you think that you wont be able to see something new? Really?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I love how they always pull the travel card
, I've been across a bit of Europe(uk, france, germany,poland, sweden) to it was nice chilly but nice. I've been to every US state/possession as well it brought me to cold mountains, deep forests, warm sunny beaches, tropical rain forests, bayou, desert,rolling grasslands bigger than entire countries I'd say America has ALOT to offer...including we are connected to beautiful Canada and good ol Mexico. The party experience is wonderful here

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

I doubt you've ever even met an American

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Why is this a top thread? This is ridiculous, I am British and I feel ashamed by my fellow Brit stereotyping like that.. the OP's content is just about 'some beef' that he had with 'some guy' over why Americans don't travel much outside of America...

Your title was mis-leading. I was expecting those insults to be based on more than just how American's don't travel much, I thought it was going to be more on the mass consumption of complete and utter junk food, the notion that 'America is the best because everything is big here... ''including most of the people''...' and many other reasons, oil etc...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuzitzu

And your no better then I suppose

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

In a nutshell America is huge and travel overseas is not cheap.

Canada is often a culture shock! (Hello $80 Dennies bill!)

Myself, I have done some traveling while in the service. Ireland (loved it!), Denmark(Loved it!), West Germany (Dating myself here! I found the Germans somewhat cool), Italy (loved the weather) , Spain (also very nice), Romania etc. etc.

Yet still before I go back to Europe there are a ton of places I want to see in America! Glacier National Park, Yosemite etc. etc.

So Ireland, as much as you captured a piece of my heart, I do have some other places to see.

Sorry for the rambling.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Everyone complains about Americans, but they never hesitate to take our money even as they hurl insults at us, well with the way things are going under Obama it won't be long until we have no money to send to the ingrates, what will they do then, insult the Chinese who are now taking over the money giving thing?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I will give you the war of independence, with the proviso that you have to admit that French involvement was instrumental in obtaining the withdrawal of British forces.(not cessation was never declared)

War of 1812 - Yeah but we kept the Canadian territories which the Americans were perusing with the aid of you French mates. AND we burnt out the White House

Mexican War - OK

Spanish war - know nothing about it

WW1 - Only following the torpedoing of the Lusitania. was an overseas task force despatched. Your contribution to WW1 was minimal to say the least.

WW2 - USA was actually in support of the Nazi regime up to 1939. And after than still refused to support Britain as we literally stood alone against Germany. I have never heard of the USA arming thr Russian, for my own education do you have any details on this.

Lend lease agreement between UK and USA has left a very bad taste in the mouths of the older generation. widely believe to have leached most of the financial power of the Empire, and thusly indirectly responsible for its decline. Again widely believed this was deliberate.

Involvement finally came after bombing of pearl harbour as we know. What you won't know is that due to the quirk of the international date line. BRITISH forces for fighting hand to hand with invading Japanese forces in the Malay Jungle 3 hours before the attack in Hawaii. US joined the war by proxy on the point that germany and japan were allied.

although the final contribution of US troops, in the invasion of Italy and france help extremely to meet our Russian Allies demands of a second front by 1943 (although this was delayed through 1944)

A whole dissatation could be written here

Korean - British and Australian forces were HEAVILY involved in this.

Vietnam - Again Australian Forces were involved.

So, never is simple as you think is it, and no amoutn of hollywood films or flag waving jingoism will change these facts. it just slews people perception. Just like according to Hollywood Americans were responsible for the finding and cracking of the enigma machine. that's just complete fantasy!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tyrson
Everyone complains about Americans, but they never hesitate to take our money even as they hurl insults at us, well with the way things are going under Obama it won't be long until we have no money to send to the ingrates, what will they do then, insult the Chinese who are now taking over the money giving thing?

As a third world country, I would like to, on behalf of the people of Great Britain, thank you for you generous donations, I don't know what we would have done without your handouts.

Peace.
edit on 3-3-2011 by BrianDamage because: typo

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well - it depends. An American can go to Mexico or Canada cheap enough. Heck, you can drive and get there or take a bus.

I've been lucky enough to go to Europe a few times now. Yes - it can be costly to go to Europe. Going from the US to say France costs lots more than going from say Germany to France.

It depends on what "counts" as "international travel" I guess.

For Europeans does going from your home country to the one right next door count? For Americans does going to Mexico or Canada count? Basically, how much land or ocean do you need to cross for a border crossing to count?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Here's my beef with American travelers. I totally agree with the OP's viewpoint that we don't have to travel outside of the US because the states all have interesting things to see, both as far as natural wonders and historical sites, as well as cultural differences that make the trip eye-opening.

As a child, my parents took me to almost every state, from NY to FL, FL to CA and most of the South and Appalachians. In my life, I've only really missed every state from NE west and North (except Montana) and of course our "non-contiguous" friends.

However, increasingly I have noticed that when I'm traveling, the amount of crap attractions available to the average American tourist are above and beyond the local flare.

*Restaurants? Who wants to try something new when I know exactly what I can get at Chili's or Outback, Friday's or Olive Garden, Wendy's or Burger King? Doesn't matter whether it's in California or South Carolina, it's the same corporate crap - just that in the former, your waiter might call you dude and in the latter they might offer you sweet tea instead of coke.

Ooooh...if I travel from Florida to California I might get something exotic, like Jack in the Box!

Shopping? Same stores, with minor exceptions, from coast to coast. Activities? Same ol' crap: movie theaters, television, internet...

Woohoo, the beach! I'll stay at my hotel, a Best Western perhaps? Or maybe a Courtyard Marriot...same as the hotels in MN or ME or MA or wherever. Exciting...there will probably be a Denny's or Red Robbin in the lobby.

Yeah, so while I agree that we, as Americans can travel in our own borders and see plenty, having grown up traveling, living and working in the Food and Beverage business, I've seen enough to know that I shouldn't have any faith in my corporatist compatriots.

They won't be satisfied if they can't eat at the same crap restaurants, stay at the same familiar red roofs or shop at the same stores. Some exceptions as no group can be fully generalized.

Why do you think that Americans often seek out the McDonald's near the Brandenburg Gate or Eiffel Tower. Is there a GAP in Puerta del Sol or the Zocalo? Give me a break. We'll travel, but we still want the global homogeneity of Western Capitalist culture. No roughing it. No hostels. No quaint b&bs. No exciting new cuisine at a local Southern, Soul food restaurant, TexMex (unless it's Chili's) or whatever.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well it seems that every word said was quite right, you americans are stupid and ignorant and lazy so whats the problem does truth hurt you then.????

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have been very fortunate in having both American and European parents have been blessed in having lived and traveled amongst both continents fairly extensively.

As I got older I even enjoyed some of the unique features of Europe such as high performance cars which I love. And the 1000's of miles of smooth pot hole free roads called the Autobahn/AutoRoute(France) even with Nascar like banked turns in which to enjoy them !

Driving across Europe at well over 100+ mph arriving upon the south of France from Germany having covered most of Western Europe in the better part of a day. But upon arriving in Nice, France, (very appropriately named I might add), I could dine at local reasonably priced Bistro, enjoying food that would literally knock your socks off....all at a reasonable price too.

You cannot 1.) Drive at these speeds for the day in the States without ending up in a jail cell with your new found friend named "Bubba" !
As well as a guaranteed scheduled appearance in the local magistrate's courtroom.
And or eating at a truck stop which has some great food but isn't quite in the same realm.

In essence there are some unique qualities to Europe that one cannot quite experience in the States.
And you need to visit the place in order to experience them....if you will.
Epcot center at Disney World is NOT the same.

But taking a step back, with all of the majority of White and even many Black Americans ancestry originating in Europe.
And many American denying this simple link back to Europe is where many of these Stereotypes of typical Americans evolves from.

You could LEARN quite abit about who you are and where your descendants came from simply by visiting a local church and reseaching your name.

All of the birth and marriage and death records are still held by many if not most regional churches in Europe.

Allowing one to trace their heritage back to the middle ages.

Brooke Shields originates from poor working class New Jersey families...or so she thought.
Brook Shields researched her heritage on the program "Who Do You Think You Are" and found out that she was actually a descendant of King Louis the XiV of France on one side of her family !

Lets's look at some of our culture.....

What are some of our favorite foods here in America ?? Pizza.....and one of my other favorites, being of German heritage, Beer ! Not to mention Bratwurst !!!!!

But simply Look at all of the German names here in America. German was very close to being chosen as the National Language....there were so many German speaking people in Pennsylvania......at the time placing votes.

But look at The English and Irish names....The Italian names....and French names as we have here in New England ?

Don't you have a remote interest in what your names even mean ? Or where they originate from and why ?

These are the types of things one can LEARN by travelling abroad. It's called History.

It isn't simply crowded streets, crowded cities of Europe. But moreso where some our favorite foods like Pizza originated from ...and how it came to be. Our system of Government and it's origins with the Roman empire.

Where our favorite beers came from ....The first Pilsner (light colored) Beer was brewed in Europe. Otherwise we'd be all drinking a dark beer similar to Guinness.
(Not that there is anything wrong with Guinness but it doesn't have the overall thirst quenching appeal of the Golden Pilsner Beers)

Especially here in America.

It's also not all about simply seeing Disney World, Yosemite , The Rocky Mountains....but moreso as to why we are here to see and enjoy things beautiful things our world provides.

So in reading so many " I have everything I need to see here"....you are really limiting yourself and as to who you really are unfortunately. As well as to why you are even here to be Americans.

I beg of many if not most of you to open your minds and to Deny Ignorance and venture out from your comfort zone called the United States America.

And find out who you truly are.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dellbboytrotter
Well it seems that every word said was quite right, you americans are stupid and ignorant and lazy so whats the problem does truth hurt you then.????

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

HINT: It may be worth it to actually read the OP not just the title

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
We have 5% of the population and use 25% of the planet's energy. We are behind in math, science and innovation. So we over-consume and rarely care about where things come from or what effect that consumption is having on society and the environment. That's social and environmental irresponsibility.

My friend, I'm not sure how much more narcissistic and uneducated it gets..

I don't say that because I hate my country. I'm disappointed in our progress. I love my country, but I also love ALL humans in ALL cultures. And I've never been out of the U.S. You don't have to travel the world to respect other cultures. It helps, but it's not necessary. What matters most is education.

If we spent as much money on education as we do on wars and mindless consumption, we would be able to send our students all over the world to learn. It would completely turn society around in a positive direction.

We need to learn that narcissism is a cancer. It's all about IDENTITY. And identity is fake. You don't take it or any material possession with you when you die. The only thing that matters is how you treat ALL humans. And make no mistake, our purchases, whether we realize it or not, are having a direct effect, either positive or negative, on someone, somewhere.

If we want to be an example to the world, we need to be an example of less consumption, more education, more social and environmental responsibility and peace. Until we can do that, we will continue to be an example of narcissism and isolation.

We can start by picking up a science book and turning of Jersey Shore.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dellbboytrotter

Tell me, please, on what do you base your comments? I have traveled extensively in the US, and outside of a couple of 'woodchucks' in northern Maine who took umbrage at my long hair, my experience tells me that you don't know what you're talking about.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

I don't think you have the right to speak on behalf of all Americans or what you think the world needs. Do you think we like having to pay taxes for Government agendas? Your view is ignorant and radical if you ask me, USA does have a few bad seeds, but we are not the only ones who have sadistic individuals. Its everywhere. Now don't get me started with Romania, your country is far from perfect. You want perfect go join a monk society in Bhutan, or Nepal. Other than that keep your comments to yourself.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Right on, not to mention its not like we can just cross a line into another country (and Canada and Mexico don't count I mean really.... come on...) we cannot drive to say.. Germany or take a short boat ride to the nearest mainland. So bogus I am with you.. Why would I want to travel to Europe and see more of the same NWO controlled bullskit? I would sooner travel to "gods" country and see amazing mountains and valleys, see sun sets and rises over great seas and lakes.

I admit the History and Art side is great, but if your not into it or like you said more for the kids? Nah, thanks I will stay on North America where my blood has been for as far back as we know. Keep your snotty slaves, I will hang with the braves.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

Most Brits like Americans we just enjoy winding you up.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join