It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened To Russia’s Space Shuttle Program?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Im just saying It's just like every other time Russia has made a claim or a threat later to have it thrown in their face as bullcrap. Like Russians and nukes in the cold war era, they could hardly get the missles to leave the silo's much less hit a target across the world. Russia is strong but thy like to make a spectacle of themselves whenever possible, look at th tsar bomb, they spent billions just to detonate the world biggest H-bomb. "Look at us we are strong no?" Maybe make a move or 2 and I might have a tiny bit of fear for the red menace.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The latest and for the last two decades the NASA (soon to be retired) and Soviet Soyuz TM LEO manned spacecrafts to scale circa 1995.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I hate when people talk about the cold war like we were ever close at war.

It was all a bluff.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The coalition has better looking girls, dont get me wrong these girls are fine but dang US and UK girls

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The payload of the Buran is not 100t, it's 30t. The payload of the Energia rocket is 100t

www.buran-energia.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

and the payload of the US Space Shuttle is 25t

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Good pictures at the beginning here.
The Russian Space Shuttle program was abandoned because of the collapse of the Soviet Union.
There were apparently 5 actual ones and 8 test ones. In some ways it was more advanced than the American one, for instance being able to go up unmanned. Only one was completed. It did only one trip, which was unmanned. That was the Buran. In English that's 'Snow storm' or 'Blizzard'. A roof collapsed on it, destroying it.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Aquarius1011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack
I hate when people talk about the cold war like we were ever close at war.

It was all a bluff.

After the Soviet Union collapsed, Russian people were surprised at the great weaponry, like ICBMs, that the USA had. They said that Russia had no intention of invading anyone, because they were far too busy with their own internal affairs.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
great thread, pity I just picked up on it now.

There is another shuttle that was planned, the European Hermes. Maybe we could discuss it also in the same thread. Was thinking about it yesterday before I saw this thread.

From Wikipedia :

Hermes was a proposed spaceplane designed by the French Centre National d'Études Spatiales (CNES) in 1975, and later by the European Space Agency. It was superficially similar to the US X-20. France proposed in January 1985 to go through with Hermes development under the auspices of the ESA.[1] Hermes was to have been part of a manned space flight program. It would have been launched using an Ariane 5. The project was approved in November 1987, with an initial pre-development phase from 1988 to 1990, with a green light for full-rate development depending on the outcome of the phase. The project suffered numerous delays and funding issues. It was canceled in 1992 since neither cost nor performance goals could be achieved. No Hermes shuttles were ever built.

en.wikipedia.org...

Always sad for me to see great projects like this being cancelled do to finances, whilst we have more than enough money to keep wars going.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I can tell you what happened to the Buran shuttle. Moscow, summer 1996. While integrating some International Space Station (ISS) hardware to insure compatibility with the Russian FGB segment, my team from NASA was invited to the Russian Space Museum for a VIP tour, hosted by a retired technician who worked the Russian space program his entire career. The gentleman was very proud of Russia's accomplishments and explained in great detail the history of each exhibit in the museum. We even got to sit inside a used Soyuz capsule, VERY tight!.
The Buran was standing in front of the museum and we asked our host on the way out why the Buran was only flown once. He told us the black carbon tiles on the bottom of the shuttle were laid out in a symmetrical pattern, where as the NASA Shuttle has a jigsaw pattern of tiles with no repeating patterns. Seems the NASA engineers were pretty smart, because when the Buran re-entered the atmosphere, plasma crept in between some tiles and softened some structural members but did not cause a catastrophic failure. But with a damaged frame the Buran could never fly again. Below is a link to the Russian Space Museum's web site, very nice.
Best regards
englishrussia.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by chariotdriver
The Buran was standing in front of the museum and we asked our host on the way out why the Buran was only flown once.

LIES I tell ya all lies...
Buran was destroyed in a hanger roof collapse...

Space Shuttle 1.01 = Buran (Snowstorm/Blizzard)

The one they showed you was likely this one OK-ML-1 at the Gagarin Museum

Then there is the one that went to the German museum OK-GLI

Then there is the Static Test Model sitting out on a pad... BTS-002

There is OK-TVA sitting in Gorki Park Moscow...

BAIKAL suffered a worse fate... its up for sale on the internet in little pieces

Space Shuttle 2.01 = Baikal (Typhoon).

Here is that tile pattern you were talking about...

There are TWO Russian Shuttles in good condition in Storage at Baikonur Cosmodrome, Building 80, Area 112A

Space Shuttle 2.02 = unknown name; Space Shuttle 2.03 = unknown name

The whereabouts of the other Space Ready shuttle, Space Shuttle 1.02 = Ptichka (Little Bird) remains unknown. Some have said it is one of the two above, others have said it was sold to China

Then there are the ones that were outfitted with Jet engines and could take of and land... for a while those wer for sale for a few million

Test Buran Lift off

Shuttle Buran & Antonov AN225 Mriya

edit on 14-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join