It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened To Russia’s Space Shuttle Program?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
that was a good read, i think a few russian prized planes have ended up in a similar way

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I was wondering why hasn't China purchased some of that old Russian space shuttle hardware?

They buy everything else and copy it from them anyway...

hahahah...they were still copying other consumer based products back in the 80's
Besides it worked out for their advantage to wait as they were able to use the wreckage of F117
though its decommissioned in the US.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Wow...for real? or publicity and PR stunt by the Russians?
They're gorgeous. I wonder if they're really combat trained or models. They do look like models to me but who knows
Somebody is lucky in the Russian Military

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

You are mistaken if you think Russian women, as feminine as they are, are a good idea to have in the military because as I said earlier, it is not all fun and games when bullets are coming and these women are compromising everyone's safety because they start freaking out and running.

We are actually going to try and make females serve mandatory military service, as our men do, in a few years.

Then our country will be open for invasion.....

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by zorgon

Apparently there isn't uniform skirt length or shoe styles...

edit on 2-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

hahahaha...amazingly none of the guys noticed that since that is obvious. But only a woman can notice the minute detail of another woman. Good catch. This is why I think its a publicity or PR stunt by the Russian Army

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Once upon a time...
The Russian also came up with a really COOL space station in 1886

You mean in 1986.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CDNBilderberg
Double headed eagle? Olive branch and Sword? Crown on top? Guess we know who's backing this team...

Originally posted by Liberterius
- the russians stole the plans for the Atomic bomb from the USA via the Rosenbergs and other spies

Rosenbergs...
OR they let Russia have the plans for the bomb

I thought it was the German Scientist Klaus Fuchs who was the mole and the hole in the project
KLAUS FUCHS

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

edit on 3-3-2011 by Novatrino because: off topic post

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Being a russian who reads a lot about our space programm, I'd like to throw in some facts.

Someone here couldn't believe that Buran could simply be destroyed by a collapsed roof. Well, you didn't live in Russia and CIS in the nineties. You just can't imagine the number of technical wonders that were lost or scrapped, or stolen at that time. For example, there is a 90%-ready Large Hadron Collide analogue that was u/c when Perestroika started rotting near Moscow now. There is a scrapped military base that could lift airplanes off the earth with a laser beam. There are literally fields of abandoned buildings that were supposed to become new secret laboratories - well, you get the idea. The situation nowadays seems to be getting better.

One more fact I haven't seen mentioned here. Did you know russian cosmonauts had laser pistols with them on the space trips? These were developed in the 70s. I wonder how far the technology has gone nowadays.

On to more recent topics. These are about the space program.

This thing is called "clipper". It is supposed to fly by 2020 from a new spaceport "Vostochny" Russia is building in the Far East not to be dependant of the Baikonur that belongs to Kazahstan.

All the military launches will be conducted from a military space port in the north of Russia near Murmansk. They have recently greatly restricted the security measures there, so who knows what they are working on.

By the way - here is the new russian space agency logo - some say we just ripped it off from the americans. Conspiracy freaks like me will wonder if there is actually a meaning to such a striking resemblance.

Russia is also finishing creating its GPS system analogue called Glonass - a military/civillian satellite system. Last year there was an unsuccessful launch of 3 new satellites that were supposed to finalize the system. There was a brief commentary from MoD that satellites might have been lost due to "human interference". The commentary quickly disappeared from every website. Makes you wonder yet again.

And Russia is also planning to launch an unmanned space station to Mars and conducting an experiment called "Mars 500":
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

And this info I got just from the open sources.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by evilcommunist

Thank you for your contribution!
It is very appreciated!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This is probably one of my favorite space technology threads I've found thus far on ATS! Great comparisons with seeming bias free information. Terrific photos collage.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ignore my previous response. I see the date of 1886 is based on the link and not on the stamp.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

ЛАЗЕРНЫЙ ПИСТОЛЕТ С ПИРОТЕХНИЧЕСКОЙ ЛАМПОЙ-ВСПЫШКОЙ В 70-е гг. XX в. многими странами, в первую очередь СССР и США, были развернуты работы по созданию лазерных установок как мирного, так и военного назначения. Сотрудники Военной академии Ракетных войск стратегического назначения (РВСН), ныне носящей имя Петра Великого, выполнили разработку индивидуального лазерного оружия самообороны космонавта. Исследовательскую группу возглавил начальник кафедры, заслуженный деятель науки и техники РСФСР, доктор технических наук, профессор, генерал-майор Виктор Самсонович Сулаквелидзе (1919 - 1984). Теоретическими и экспериментальными исследованиями поражающего действия лазерного пистолета занимался доктор технических наук, профессор Борис Николаевич Дуванов. Конструкцию будущего оружия отрабатывал научный сотрудник А.В. Симонов, в испытаниях участвовали научный сотрудник Л.И. Авакянц и адъюнкт В.В. Горев. Конструкторы ставили цель разработать лазерный пистолет, который по весу и размерам не отличался бы от армейского огнестрельного аналога.

files.school-collection.edu.ru...

пиздата!!!! Я помню об этом в Московском государственном университете, когда я был студентом.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

The thing is the roof collapsed in May 2002, not the 90s. Was there a strong storm or heavy snowfall in Kazakhstan that day? Does it even snow there in May?

There are abandoned hangers still standing all around the world. How is possible that an active hanger which housed the Buran and other very important engines completely collapsed? The collapse killed 8 people and destroyed the Buran and the engines. I mean look at the picture. Look at the debris field. It looks more like a bomb exploded than the roof caved in.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1e901ea00d2.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 3-3-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I was intrigued by the first three photos, and reference to the "laser pistol".

Ummm....so, I did some research. Wasn't easy. Seems the claims of that "device" are somewhat exaggerated.
It apparently DID "fire" a laser beam of light....much like a modern-day laser pointer. It is, really, a prototype (and thus, large and bulky looking) of the very thing we take for granted today. Consider an analogy: The early Mobile Telephones of the 1980s.....size of a brick! (Because of the battery, mostly....)..

BTW, my sources all seem to agree the "pistol" was from circa 1984, not in the 1970s (unless, of course, it was a "guarded secret" or some such thing....). Anyway, its purpose??:

It was tested in spacemodule "Mir".
The main designation for this weapon was to destroy the optics and sensors of the enemy spacecrafts.

www.red-alliance.net...

Sorry....I really don't think it counts as a "weapon", in that sense implied.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adding, though....very informative "recent" project stuff, there. It is always amazing to me, that the Russians persist in using launch facilites in high Northern latitudes. Quite a disadvange, rotational velocity assist lost from there...but, I suppose, they have limited options, due to available territories, geography and logistics/security concerns??
edit on 3 March 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Russia is also finishing creating its GPS system analogue called Glonass - a military/civillian satellite system. Last year there was an unsuccessful launch of 3 new satellites that were supposed to finalize the system. There was a brief commentary from MoD that satellites might have been lost due to "human interference". The commentary quickly disappeared from every website. Makes you wonder yet again.

Do you think the U.S. could have an army of the next generation of these things in space ready to interfere with other country’s secret satellites or expensive launches to keep them out of space?

Visit Slayer69's Star Wars thread for more info on Pebbles.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3-3-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
With regard to the claims that Buran was simply a copy of the US shuttle, it seems that many people haven't actually read something about how both projects ended up looking the way they did, and why they share so many traits.

Both projects had to carry modules for their respective country's next generation space stations, this dictated the size of the cargo bay.

Both projects needed to be able to do emergency landings far away from their planned landing runway, this dictated the double delta wing as well as the large vertical stabilizer. The tail for manouvrability and the double delta for range. Since the double delta wings required landing at high speed and high angle, the pilots had to be placed very high up in the craft to improve visibility.

Both projects needed a large space for on-board computers. The US because it wanted a networked computer complex with onboard data acquisition, evaluation and decission-making ability. The USSR because it wanted a simple, rugged onboard computer complex which could be remote controlled.

Both projects needed to use a light weight reusable heatshield technology to be even remotely viable.

With those fundamental design choices of both projects, it's hardly surprising that the projects look very similar. If you think that the Buran was a mere copy, then try to design your own space shuttle on a piece of paper, using the constraints outlined above, but remember, it still must be able to descend from space and glide to a landing and it must use the technology of the day.
edit on 3-3-2011 by aaa2500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

They started working on it in the 70s. Wish you could understand my link weedwhacker! Google translate isn't too good with scientific translations :-P
edit on 3-3-2011 by RustyShakleford92 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2011 by RustyShakleford92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

And to add, we launch where we do because it's a long, long way from any of the nuclear weapon launch facilities.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

UMMMM...you posted at 15:54, my timezone. Mine was finished only a few minutes later. Obviously, I was composing and writing it, and didn't see yours!! (Until now...).

I think I can paste it into Google and get a translation......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is what Google made out of the Cyrillic text:

LASER PISTOL with pyrotechnic flashlamps

In 70-ies. XX century. many countries, primarily the USSR and the U.S. were initiated work on the creation of laser systems of both the peaceful and military purposes.

Employees of the Military Academy of Strategic Rocket Forces (RVSN), now named after Peter the Great, completed development of individual self-defense laser weapons astronaut. Research group led by the head of department, Honored Scientist of the RSFSR, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, Major-General Victor Samsonovich Sulakvelidze (1919 - 1984). Theoretical and experimental studies of the harmful effect of the laser gun worked Ph.D., Professor Boris Duvanov. Design of future weapons practiced researcher AV Simonov, in the trials included fellow LI Avakyants and Adjunct VV Gorev. Designers aimed to develop a laser gun, the weight and size did not differ from the army to fire counterpart.

In the first stage of the future authors of the present invention have found that for the decommissioning of sensitive elements of optical systems, the enemy need not too high energy radiation - within 1 - 10 J. This is because the eyes and lenses focus the beams, increasing the density of radiation in the hundreds and thousands times. Elements of any laser is an active medium, pump source and a resonator. To solve this problem required a compact source of optical pumping, hosted in the cavity of the cartridge holder.

The authors decided to use the development of disposable pyrotechnic flash lamp filled with oxygen and the metal in the form of foil or powder form. Set on fire by an electric spark, it burns for 5-10 ms at a temperature of about 5 thousand degrees C. (involuntarily reminded of the pyramid of the hyperboloid of Engineer Garin). In this case, all components must be non-toxic and not prone spontaneously detonate. To increase the pump energy, it was decided to use a zirconium foil instead of conventional magnesium, which is 3 times increased the specific light energy. Additive metal salts allowed to "adjust" the lamp radiation to the absorption spectrum of the active element.

All the experimental work carried out directly by the authors develop. The first home-made lamps were in the form of cones 1 cm in diameter, located inside the tungsten-rhenium filament coated with a paste for the ignition of combustible pyrotechnic mixture (zirconium in oxygen). Eight flash bulbs placed in a holder. After each "shot" spent light is thrown as a sleeve, and the next fed into an illumination chamber. Ability to dazzle and burn beam retains up to 20 m. Various modifications of the device can be used not only for self-defense, but also as a medical tool.

Work on the creation of individual laser weapons was devoted to educational and popular film "Dangerous beam, created at the studio of the Ministry of Defense. Currently, the laser gun is kept in the Museum of the Strategic Missile Forces Military Academy named after Peter the Great.

VI Angles

I know you didn't seem to like the Google translation....but, if "pyrotechnic" is accurate, I would have had great concern about such a device in a 100% oxygen atmosphere......
edit on 3 March 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join