It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is our galaxy or star at the center of the universe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

As the turn of the next century approaches, we again find an established science in trouble trying to explain the behavior of the natural world. This time the problem is in cosmology, the study of the structure and "evolution" of the universe as revealed by its largest physical systems, galaxies and clusters of galaxies. A growing body of observations suggests that one of the most fundamental assumptions of cosmology is wrong.

Most galaxies' spectral lines are shifted toward the red, or longer wavelength, end of the spectrum.

Edwin Hubble showed in 1929 that the more distant the galaxy, the larger this "redshift." Astronomers traditionally have interpreted the redshift as a Doppler shift induced as the galaxies recede from us within an expanding universe. For that reason, the redshift is usually expressed as a velocity in kilometers per second.

One of the first indications that there might be a problem with this picture came in the early 1970's. William G. Tifft, University of Arizona noticed a curious and unexpected relationship between a galaxy's morphological classification (Hubble type), brightness, and red shift. The galaxies in the Coma Cluster, for example, seemed to arrange themselves along sloping bands in a redshift v.s. brightness diagram. Moreover, the spirals tended to have higher redshifts than elliptical galaxies. Clusters other than Coma exhibited the same strange relationships.

source HERE

what does quantized mean?

Quantization is the procedure of constraining something from a continuous set of values (such as the real numbers) to a discrete set (such as the integers). Quantization in specific domains is discussed

source wiki

Several well-studied galaxies, including M51 and NGC 2903, exhibited two distinct redshifts. Velocity breaks, or discontinuities, occurred at the nuclei of these galaxies. Even more fascinating was the observation that the jump in redshift between the spiral arms always tended to be around 72 kilometers per second, no matter which galaxy was considered. Later studies indicated that velocity breaks could also occur at intervals that were 1/2, 1/3, or 1/6 of the original 72 km per second value.

source HERE

so how do we explain the areas between the "rings" and why would the universe order galaxies "around" us as if we were the center of everything

the idea we were the center of the solar system took a while to get rid of
how long are we going to asume we are the center of the universe?

xploder

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
aren't we on the outer edge of a spiral arm?

i don't think anyone thinks we are the center, or did i miss your point completly?

sorry, half at work here

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Something that extends infinitely in all directions can't have a center, can it? It could have an origin (which I think our solar system is far too young to be), but not a center. I would think with if the universe does extend infinitely in all directions, that would make it seem like you're at the center of the universe no matter where you're at.

However, I'm certainly no expert on the subject so I could be completely wrong.

Edit: BadBoYeed, we're in the spiral arm of our galaxy, the OP was about our galaxy or even our solar system being the center of the universe.
edit on 2-3-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Quantization of red shift implies that our current view is wrong and that it is not simply a doppler effect caused by distant objects receding from us at high velocity.

It may be that the quantization reflects the state of matter shortly after the big bang and before the Planck time. The effects we see now would then be an offshoot of quantum effects and "expansion".

It does not neccesarily imply our centrality in the universe.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
We don't even know the boundry of the universe so we have no idea of the location of our galaxy and where its at in the universe.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
aren't we on the outer edge of a spiral arm?

i don't think anyone thinks we are the center, or did i miss your point completly?

sorry, half at work here

nearly all galaxies are travelling "away" from us making us the center of where these galaxies are "running away from"

problem is the galaxies speed away from us is in steps, in an orginized way
but have speed limits
ie you can go 72 km/h or 144 km/h or 288 km/h but not 100km/h
and these galaxies are arranged in rings around us and all follow a speed limit

so the further out in these stepped rings the faster the galaxies travel away from us but the speed is limited to step increases of 72 km/h (examples used not acual speeds)

so how can almost everything race away from us in such an orginized fashion?
and why in the "steps" or quantized nature we observe them in?

xploder
edit on 2-3-2011 by XPLodER because: brackets

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Honestly, I doubt our current understanding of the universe is anywhere near correct. There's only so much we can do with calculations based on our limited knowledge of light and physics. When we've barely gotten to the moon, I doubt our ability to really understand what we see when we look at other galaxies.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

why in the "steps" or quantized nature we observe them in?

There is a theory that the universe, after the big bang, expanded at a rate that exceeded the current speed of light, and that the expansion slowed down to be at the nearly constant speed we see now.

This implies that the speed of light (the ultimate speed limit of the universe) has been reducing since the big bang.

The mechanism for this reduction in expansion of spacetime and therefore the reduction of the speed of light is that for dimensions higher than 4, they have been curved or rolled up and this has "eaten" the inertia of the expansion. This same effect implies that the virtual or zero-point energy implicit in free space has been increasing since the big bang.

So if the stars and galaxies were "flung out" from their quantum states faster than the current speed of light, we would find a reflection in their initial state "frozen into" their current state when observed at the current speed of light.

An outcome of this theory could indicate a universe significantly younger than the current 14 billion year estimate.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
i was recently watching a program about the universe, it was on topdocumentaryfilms.com. good watch. it talked about the red shift and it why seems like every object seems to be moving away from us. making us the centre of the universe. the program explained why it seems like we are the centre. had to do with something or other.

cant remember.

should check out the website though, all great and informative films / programs...for the most part.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by epitaph.one

thank you for the link
i will be watching

xploder

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
earth is not centre of universe..

we are

kx

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Only for very small universes

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by purplemer

Only for very small universes

or for very big universes....
have a look at some biocentrism..

kx

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Why would the fact that everything seems to be moving away from Earth mean that Earth seems like the center of the universe? Here's a picture of what I mean in case it's not clear:

Then again, that's also ignoring that we think the universe is infinite. As I said before, something that's infinite can only have an origin but no center right?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
yes

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
yes

Way to contribute to the discussion!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Center of universe, not galaxy....

Interesting information, am reading up on it now.
Have heard of this before and it always interest me.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
If you were anywhere in a uniformly expanding body where you could not observe the boundry, it would appear as though you were in the center.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It's not that everything is moving away from us, it's that everything is (on average) moving away from everything else.

The Universe is expanding in all directions at once and so the space in between things is expanding.

Imagine it like a balloon. Inflate the balloon a tiny bit and with a felt tip permenant marker draw a few dots here and there around the balloon's surface. Now measure the distance between those dots. Let's say it's one inch between dot #1 and dot #2, and two inches between dot #2 and dot #3, etc. Now, inflate that balloon further and measure the space between those dots again. Now the distance between dot #1 and #2 could be two inches, and the distance between dot #2 and #3 is three inches. The Universe works just like that.

So, we're not at the center of the universe (almost certainly...there has to be a center somewhere, but the odds are beyond infinitesimal), but from out point of view it looks like we are, just as it would look from every other galaxy in the Universe.
edit on 3/3/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
We don't even know the boundry of the universe so we have no idea of the location of our galaxy and where its at in the universe.

Well done! So true. I wish people would open up their minds a bit more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join