It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Speech in Westboro Baptist case upheld by SCOTUS 8-1 Continue reading on Examiner.com: Free Sp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Free Speech in Westboro Baptist case upheld by SCOTUS 8-1 Continue reading on Examiner.com: Free Speech in Westboro Baptist case upheld by SCOTUS 8-1 - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com www.examiner.com...

www.examiner.com

Finding that "[t]he First Amendment shields Westboro [Baptist Church]", the Supreme Court of the United States ruled 8-1 against a father of a Marine who had been killed in Iraq, and for the controversial church and its founder, Fred Phelps.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is so wrong.

I hope SCOTUS can live with the idea that somebody at WBC is going to seriously hurt or killed sooner or later. I know I can!

I guess it's ok now to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater, huh?

There should be term-limits on SCOTUS. Talk about out of touch.

This is so wrong.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
ALRIGHT!

Everyone in the military, when your hitch is up Do Not Re-enlist.

If this lousy ass country won't stand up for YOU, then why the hell should you stand up for IT?

Oh those pampered pieces of excrement in Washington..

EDIT: Mods this probably belongs in "US Govt. Madness" so feel free to move it please; I am so stirred up I'm almost cross-eyed and put it in the wrong place. Thanks.
edit on 2-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: Note to mods

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
This is so wrong.

No it's really not. I despise Westboro Baptist Church as much as anyone but they have a right to say what they say. The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States is very clear.

"Congress shall make no law [...] abridging the freedom of speech"

The government CANNOT make speech illegal. It is unconstitutional. It doesn't matter whether you or I agree with what Westboro Baptist Church says. They have a right to say it.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The only justice to see through this is Justice Alito. I understand the 1st amendment thinking and the slippery slope but his finding that this is 'Fighting Words' not covered by the 1st make a lot of sense.
Being from North Eastern Kansas, I know the antics of these cretins probably better than most. They have been a thorn in the side of the states residents for 30 years and sooner or later someone will meet out some 'Prairie Justice' on their inbred lawyer family and those 60-70 followers of their insane patriarch! I can almost garrrrunnnnnteee that!!!

Zindo
edit on 3/2/2011 by ZindoDoone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Breaking News story here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and US Political Madness
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since this thread is a duplicate, it is now closed.

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion(s).
Thank you

for future reference:
Search ATS

edit on Wed Mar 2 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
People can argue the morality of this judgment all they want. That is fine. But as far as the legality goes, there is no argument to have. What Westboro Baptist Church does is legal. Period.

Like I said, I despise them as much as anyone. And I wouldn't mind seeing a little vigilante justice against them. But the federal government upholding their right to freely speak is important, not just to them, but to all of us.

A lot of you people are thinking about this issue emotionally. Lets think about it logically.

top topics

join