It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with SETI@Home Software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I expect this question has been answered before, and I must admit - I have not searched ATS for a thread with an answer.

I have just downloaded SETI@Home, once installed I chose to create a new account - entered details, chose to connect now; but it wouldn't. I got the error "Cannot open file" and then SET@Home just closes.

My OS is Windows XP Professional SP1 - and I have a Broadband ADSL Internet connection using a Netgear ADSL Router - does the router make a difference, is there any ports I need to forward? My firewall is not blocking the outbound connections.

Anybody got an answer? I am not new to SETI@Home, I used it about a year ago for a long time - (Had dial-up Internet then, only difference since then).

Is there a problem SETIs end?

[edit on 18-7-2004 by MetalHead]

[edit on 18-7-2004 by MetalHead]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think there is a problem with SETI again at the moment. I keep getting an "unknown fatal error 1" message at the moment when I try to connect up, and from the looks of the message board on the SETI site there are a few others with the same problem. It looks like someone there has a possible solution, but when I try to read the thread
setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu...
I'm getting a website not responding message.
So if anyone else manages to read the thread, can you post any info on it please

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I can't seem to read it either
Oh well. I got a message just now from the program saying that maybe the SETI@Home server is down - so I guess it is that.

RR

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MetalHead
I can't seem to read it either
Oh well. I got a message just now from the program saying that maybe the SETI@Home server is down - so I guess it is that.

Same here.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My SETI classic CLI computers are failing to send/receive work since late Saturday. The SETI servers seem to have problems over the weekends sometimes, so my guess is maintenance work. They are usually up by Tuesday morning.
I am glad I upped my cache size, but I am still going to run out of work this afternoon.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Oh, in case you hadn't tried SETI is back up today and handing out work again. I actually tried some mental math to predict how much work I would need to keep to calculate through a weekend outage so maybe I can pull in enough this time.

new topics

top topics

join