It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Powell Ticket in 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Assuming Bush wins (assuming) Cheney has no chance of running for president in 2008. To many skeletons, bad health etc.

What about a McCain / Powell ticket in 2008 for the republicans?

You have an independant speak my mind western conservative in the Goldwater mold, combined with a super moderate republican with huge name regognition and positive image in Powell. Or if not Powell mabu Rudy J.?

Could the dems come up with thier own dream team to counter? Besides rolling out the Hillary "there are no skelatons in my closet" Clinton.....

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Stick a fork in Powell. He's done.

Why do so many people think that Powell is a moderate and give him such a glorious reputation?

I for one will never forget his shameful display before the UN security council in the lead up to the war. Nor will I forget Villepin's presentation that garnered an standing ovation!

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Wow! A McCain/Powell ticket would win the US Presidential election in a landslide, IMO... If this is the way things turn out, then the Democrats are going to have to wait at least 16 years before they get a chance to be in control of the White House again. How different of a place could the world be by then?

2000 - 2004 ... President Bush, Vice President Cheney
2004 - 2008 ... President Bush, Vice President McCain
2008 - 2012 ... President McCain, Vice President Powell
2012 - 2016 ... President McCain, Vice President Powell
2016 - 2020 ... President Powell, Vice President ???

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

I agree. It seems to me that Powell wants to give up the public life. The Bush administration really beat the crap out of him.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The thing is, by 2008 both McCain and Powell will be nearing their 70s or in them already. The only Presidents who were elected at that age (Harrison at 67 in 1840, Reagan at 69 in 1980) ran against unsuccessful incumbent Presidents from the opposite party. If Bush did win and the Dems ran John Edwards, then 55, as a candidate, McCain and Powell, respectively 72 and 68, would look like the dowdy heirs to a tired administration by then.

To the poster who suggested President Powell in 2016, he would be 76 by then...

I personally think that the alternance of power between two parties is very healthy. Those who would see the Republican party or the Democratic party in power for 30 years uninterrupted should remember that it often produces a government that's closer to a single-party state (like the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany).

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
i'd vote for that ticket, although i don't see it happening (mccain maybe, powell i think wants to quietly retire after this election). i usually consider myself a democrat, but those two people are the ones imo best suited to run the country

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
I personally think that the alternance of power between two parties is very healthy. Those who would see the Republican party or the Democratic party in power for 30 years uninterrupted should remember that it often produces a government that's closer to a single-party state (like the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany).

You do have a point there Hence the 22 ammendment. I always like to see the party that controlls the executive , not have total controll over the legeslative. If both side play nice it means little gridlock, and compromise bills hopefully come to pass

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Cheney will probably step down before the end of the next term. He may even exit earlier, perhaps before the repub convention, but that would be a surprise.

Maneuverings suggest McCain may very well have been offered the crown, and if Cheney steps down, McCain would be a pretty easy V.P. to get confirmed.

Powell does seem ready for the door, possibly not riding out a second term as SoS. We'll see.

It's looking more to me like McCain/Rice in 2008, but my crystal ball keeps saying "Reply hazy, ask again later".

Prophecy and politics don't mix well.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Why do so many people think that Powell is a moderate and give him such a glorious reputation?

I for one will never forget his shameful display before the UN security council in the lead up to the war. Nor will I forget Villepin's presentation that garnered an standing ovation!

I'll tell you why...because Powell is one of the ONLY halfway respectable black men in big time politics. That's why everyone wants to see this guy in office. They don't care if he'll be good or not. It's just because he's black. Just like a lot of people would vote for Hilary Clinton if she runs for president.

God I hate this society.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Otts Those who would see the Republican party or the Democratic party in power for 30 years uninterrupted should remember that it often produces a government that's closer to a single-party state (like the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany).

well it has never happened before so you dont know if that is true or not.

[edit on 19-7-2004 by namehere]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Powell McCain? Hell yeah, Id vote for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about Schwartzenegger/Willis in 2008?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Powell McCain? Hell yeah, Id vote for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about Schwartzenegger/Willis in 2008?

ha ha ha....not.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Why not Condeleeza Rice people! She's qualified! A woman will be VP before a woman is Prez for sure, why not Rice! She's smart and appeals to many people.

new topics

top topics

join