It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about a new category for media spread BS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Most of us older folks Remember CBS being made to admit they just simply made up news stories, the reason why News anchor Dan Rather left.... no facts just titillation... lately we hear a lot about america guns used in the drug war down in mexico

You've heard this shocking "fact" before -- on TV and radio, in newspapers, on the Internet and from the highest politicians in the land: 90 percent of the weapons used to commit crimes in Mexico come from the United States.

but in real life it's like 16% of all weapons found can be traced back to the US...

well there's hundreds of cases where the Media blow's things way out of proportion and I was thinking... shouldn't that be worthy of its own category???

I dont have a title for it... Maybe.... Media Dis-info?

wha-da-ya think????

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Well there is already the Education and Media Forum, surely that would suffice?

Education and Media: This forum is dedicated to the discussion of and speculation into methods of thought control and double speak used in education and mass media. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
We've got Deconstructiong Disinfo & Deflection

Deconstructing Disinformation: This forum is dedicated to research and speculation on organized disinformation and deflection efforts by governments, covert agencies, and organizations. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com\'s tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals.

I'd say news orgs and the media fall under "organizations".
Have at it.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I guess your right
after all we all know most of that dis-info starts in some governmental back office and quietly passed on to the forth and fifth estates for distribution

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

There are an awful lot of topics that would fit in more than one forum. I love the idea about focusing on the misinfo (disinfo?) spread by the media. I can remember when CBS was the "Tiffany Network" and Cronkite was "the most trusted man in America". Now, maybe that was all more style than substance, but we sure believed it then.

What I do know, and I don't think anyone can dispute, is that organizations like CBS used to treat the news department as a sacred cow. It was serving a higher calling, and no one really noticed how much money the news departments spent, or generated.

Those days are over. Budgets are tighter, competition is much more pervasive and varied, and the news department is as responsible as any other entity for turning a profit. The fact that there are now uncountable avenues to retrieve info doesn't help. In the big picture, that may be a good thing. It's almost impossible to keep anything under wraps for long. Info will get out. The bad side is that there's so much white noise and vested interest, you can't tell what's right and what isn't. Uncle Walter isn't here to tell us anymore.

By all means, any thread you can start in any appropriate forum about news bias or outright falsehood will be more than welcome, and read by a lot of people.

[Edit to add]

LiveForever8's suggestion above is excellent. Either way... press on.
edit on 3/2/2011 by yeahright because: ETA

new topics

top topics

join