It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My own personal Survival Guide for the Zombieapokalypse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
We all thought at least once about this sceanrio. What would we do if Zombies were real?

My scenario includes the average zombie. It´s slow,dumb,feels no pain and of course eats human flesh.

There are 5 rules to ensure your survival.

Rule number 1: If a person gets bitten it´s over. The infected person could beg you to leave it(yes it) behind to become a zombie but that´s never a option. What you should do is step away from the person and shoot it in the head. Only a real dead zombie is a good zombie. Never try to keep infected people in the group sooner or later they will turn and attack all of you.

Rule number 2: Zombies only die when the brain is destroyed. Decapitating zombies is pretty effective too. Don´t waste your ammo on shooting limbs off. In some situation you can shoot on their legs to slow them down to escape but that´s it.

Rule number 3: Zombies are not your only enemy. Humans tend to go nuts if they are confronted with situations like a zombie apokalypse If you want to lead a group keep it small like 12 to 15 people. They are enough and shouldn´t get much attention. However be careful who do you trust. Don´t hesitate to kill people to if you have to.

Rule number 4: Avoid major cities,graveyards,morgues and justin bieber concerts.

Rule number 5: You´re always outnumbered! Try to avoid any detection as long as possible. If you have to fight don´t shoot on everything on side. You would only attract more attention to you or your group. Small groups of zombies can easily be killed with melee attacks. Keep your voices and the noise down.

Those rules above are essential to survive but i´ll add some more tipps below for the best equipment,weapons,vehicles and stuff.

Your first objective is to remain calm. Don´t panic and focus on your family if you have one if not just panic.Just kidding.
Now is the time to make tough decisions. If a person can´t move on it´s own it will slow you down the same goes for very ill people. I would rather show some mercy and kill them before the zombies get to them but that´s the way i would handle the situation. I leave it up to you.

Here is a little list for some supplies you all should have in your own place. Flashlights,batteries,food,clothes,radio equipment(walky talkies),guns,maps of the surrounding area and water are the most important things. Things you don´t need are your Tv,videogame consoles,pc(yeah i know it´s hard but you can´t save em all). Also don´t waste time collecting money,jewels or your antiquities.

Fnding the right vehicle for your escape is the second objective. I know we all would steal us a nice Ferrari,Lamborghini,Porsche and other sportscars but resist the urge to do so. Instead look for SUVs,Pick up trucks,Campers and such. You need lots of storage room for the things to come. If you have found the right vehicle get the hell out of town and avoid major cities at all cost.

The next thing you need are weapons. Loads of them. Remember if your family members can hold a gun and shoot it give them one. Make sure they know how to handle the safety and make some target practises if you got enough ammo.

However not everyone of us are going to have access to guns and ammo though i´ll list some melee weapons who would come in handy. The 2x4,baseballbat,crowbars,golfclubs and such. Sharp objects are also pretty nice to cut off their limbs(only if necessary) and heads. All kind of swords are very effective. If you have a Bow or a Crossbow use it. I know my first thought regarding the weapon issue was chainsaw too but remember you need to fuel it and it´s messy. Really messy.

All kinds of guns are strongly recommend. All calibers 9mm,357,38 or 5,67mm and such can destroy a human brain in no time. Shotguns,assault rifles and sniper rifles are also pretty handy but always remember rule number 5 if you have to use them.

Where do we go from here?

This question is not a easy one beacause no place is ever safe. Keep that in mind or you´re dead. Islands may be the first choice but don´t forget zombies can´t drown. However there is a good chance that zombies would never touch water because their is no food in it. The downside would be that you are going to run out of water and food sooner or later though at some point you need to return to the main land. But it´s your decision.

If you´re lucky and you stumble across a military bunker that´s definitly a jackpot.of course if no one found it first. They have plenty of suplies,weapons,food and water and are pretty much indestructible by zombie forces because they don´t know how to use weapons. If you find one stay until everything of the supplies is gone or look for more in the surrounding area.

If you´re not so lucky then your only shelter will be caves,farm houses or cabins in the woods. Back to nature. Keep in mind if zombies don´t find food in their area anymore there is a really big chance they will travel very far distances to find some. They never rest or die of starvation. They just keep on going forever.

Once again you make the choices. There are no laws and rules(except mine) to live by anymore.

You can only try to survive and that´s it. How long is up to you. You can´t win because they keep on coming and coming.

Feel free to add more rules or anything else. Every comment is much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Is this a new movie that's come out or something?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I have one rule. Barricade yourself somewhere and wait for them to rot or be eaten by insects. Shouldn't take but a few days.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Why can't zombies drown? Don't their brains need oxygen just like the living? If the brain is the key to killing them, then it would stand to reason that it requires the same stuff that living brains do.

Just sayin'

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
"A mind...

is a terrible thing

to

Waste..."

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Unfortunately when the dead begin to walk the earth scientific reasoning gets tossed out the window. Although there is a wide variety of zombies within the common mythology it is most widely believed that zombies require only human flesh, especially brains, to sustain them. It is in fact highly suspect that zombies require any sustenance so that their craving for human flesh may not indicate a survival need but rather an intense hatred for living humans.

It is also believed that decay causing organisms may not be able to infest the flesh of the living dead due to to the extreme toxicity of zombie virus itself. While there have been reports of zombies carrying loads of maggots these are believed to be cases where the zombie was dead and infested prior to being reanimated and that these organisms where in fact trying to flee their newly reanimated host.

It needs to be kept in mind however that the exact specifics of any zombie outbreak are entirely dependent on the cause. While there would seem to be many general guidelines any specific rule must be weighed against the evidence on hand during any outbreak.

Good luck

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Thank you for your well thought out response. I guess I hadn't be fully schooled on the zombie mythos as I believed I had been.

I'm going to consider to have expert level knowledge on such matters.

With the destruction of the brain being key, are we talking about a little brain scrambling .22 (if it can even break through the skull) or do I need to focus on real stopping power, like a .38, .44, etc.?

Thanks

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
You guys might like this:

www.amazon.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
seems like you just compressed max brooks' zombie survival guide into one post. aside from a few points. you obviously didn't search for zombie threads.

baseball bats and 2x4's are virtually useless and only take up space. you have to remember, to kill a zombie with a bludgeon you actually have to completely destroy the brain, which means completely crushing the skull. the amount of pressure it takes to do this would render a wooden bludgeon useless after 2 or 3 kills. even aluminum bats would only last a handful of fights before they were so bent and misshapen they'd be useless. if you want to use a bludgeon, might i suggest something similar to the "specialty" items offered by COLD STEEL. the smasher and crusher, along with the blackthorn are made of polypropylene and are virtually indestructible. i myself own a blackthorn.

as far as you basically saying "pretty much ANY sword". wrong. the majority of swords on the general market are either display models, theater models or are basically toys. these weapons could get you in a huge bind. imagine trying to decapitate a zombie, turning around to take out a second only to find that your blade has been left in the neck of the first, because you've chosen to take up space with a cheap dime store model, and the handle has popped off. for long blades, a machete, though cliche in horror flicks is, in general, your best option. the size, weight and durability of a good solid 'chete just can't be beat. i own two magnum kukri machetes, also from cold steel. i've altered the cordura sheath on one, adding a harness so that it can be worn on my back, under a jacket.

and as far as firearms, i know it seems really macho to be able to walk down the road with an ar, ak, or even an mp5, just mowing down walkers, but the thing you have to remember is weight, while they are all good guns ammo is heavy. something to keep in mind. i'd suggest combing your side arm and long arm into the same caliber, whether it be 9mm or .45. the carbine version of these calibers are usually fairly accurate at a distance, depending on manufacturer, of course, and silenced easily, if you know how.

another thing to remember about firearms, is training. shooting a moving target the size of a human head is hard enough under normal circumstances, especially considering the average person doesn't possess that kind of accuracy under optimal conditions. now, add lack of sleep, food, the fact that that head sized object is now ACTUALLY a head, complete with human face, possibly a loved one, stress and the fear that they could be eaten alive if they miss. those things only add up to one thing. lunch. well, two things.. lunch, and more ammo and weapons for me.

but, hey.. that's just my opinion... my apologies if i offended ya...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CoincidenceX

in theory, insects and animals will be able to tell the difference between us normal folks and the infected and they will will avoid it, well.. like the plague.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

actually, in theory ghouls require no oxygen, the brain is considered an independent organism, the bodies of the dead would sink for a short period, but then float due to the build up of gasses from the rotting flesh. then later, they would sink due to being completely water logged, and would simply walk the sea floor until they rot away to nothing..

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I haven't come upon much research to indicate how much the brain must be damaged in order to kill the zombie. Strictly speaking it is believed that the brain stem must be destroyed in order to effectively stop a zombie however evidence in the field would seem to indicate that any damage to zombie brain tissue is enough to lay it to rest.

My own personal experience is that a non hollow point .22 may ricochet within the skull at relatively close ranges causing more damage than a larger caliber's thru and thru wound channel.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

sorry bro, but, at the risk of getting off topic i have to disagree. it's rarely been insinuated that zombies actually have to eat. the eating of the flesh is simply instinct. they are dead, thefore no digestion, and no digestion means no nutrients can be carried. they vaguely remember eating being necessary. and so, they do. actually in romero's original night of the living dead, as well as in tom savini's remake, they ate worms and mice. human was just the most abundant and easiest to get, so to speak.

and really, the only times brain eating was really discussed was in dan obannon's movies, the return of the living dead films, and the whole theory was the introduction of endorphines killed the pain the felt from their flesh rotting off the bone.

and as far as hate, nehh... the living dead have no emotion, just what little instinct remains in the "reptile" part of the brain.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm a huge zombie fan! You could say I think they're "dead good!" As someone said earlier above, there are very different types of zombie... The real type, originating in Haiti, are simply brain dead individuals who have been fed a concoction of natural drugs which mimics death. Then, once they are buried the bokor (witch doctor) comes along and feeds them a paste which brings them back but unfortunately removes the memory and can, in most cases, cause brain damage... The only film I can think of that showed zombies like this is, I Walked With A Zombie made in 1943. It was the genius that is George A Romero who brought us the horror of flesh eating walking dead, but they were slow and easily dodged unlike the ones in the remake of Romero's opus, Dawn Of The Dead, which were quick and could run for ever as they never seemed to tire. These new fast moving zombies are now the norm and have appeared in such movies as Dead Set, Zombieland, and the excellent, The Horde.
Zombies can't drown as someone wondered before. There's a classic scene in, Zombie Flesh Eaters which has a zombie bite chunks out of a shark, and in Land Of The Dead (Romero) the dead actually walked below a river to attack the living.
Some die to a blow to the head, some have to be beheaded, others appear to live on even when they are cut to pieces...!
Oh yes, and the biggest mistake made by horror movie buffs.... 28 Days Later is not a zombie movie...They are plague carriers...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofast

I don't disagree. There are as many zombies as there are story tellers and I think room for any one argument to be taken in any direction you might care to. My own understanding comes from those stories I may have read which although may be extensive is still far from comprehensive.

I enjoy all aspects of the different zombies and I suppose simply pick and choose those that suit my own personal fancy for my own retelling. I have often found that even within one story line the facts to be contradictory to themselves.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

R

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
My own personal experience is that a non hollow point .22 may ricochet within the skull at relatively close ranges causing more damage than a larger caliber's thru and thru wound channel.

if this did go down i would prefer a 1500fps .22 pellet gun with hi-velocity pellets nd a home made silencer, or a 180lb crossbow with 3-12 by 50 scope for long distance, that way even if i do have to fire i dont give my position away, i am an excellent marksman with guns and hit the range atleast once a week, but i still wouldnt want to use a gun, let alone have one with me, it would be to tempting.. but if i did i would want one of these
www.henryrepeating.com...
idk what it is but i just love these lil things,i would prefer it even over ma sooped up super expensive ruger10/22, because of weight size, and i can hit anything anywhere with peep sights like these.

and a .22lr will definetly have the velocity to enter the human skull, but not even an FMJ would "ricochet" in the skull, if it had enough energy to make it through the front of the skull, the brain, and reach the back of the skull, it would either loge its self into the skull, or come to a complete stop and bounce (if anything) 1/2inch not doing mitch more damage, the wound channel would only be as wide as a pencil, and even less than that at the point of entrance.. there fore a large calliber rifle (sutch as a 30-06, 7.62 (39, 51 or 54), 45-70, 7mm-08, 7 57mm mauser, 280 rem., 7mm mag, 30-30, 300, savage, ect.. ican go on for days.lol) would do mutch more damage because the entrance wound would be small but the exit wound would be the size of a baseball and if you have ever shot a n animal in the head with a .308, you will see that the velosity of the bullet instantly turns the entire brain to jelly.lol.

oh and driving will be imposable, because cars and acidents will be allover the streets, and suv's are loud and let all the walkers know when you are coming and where you stop.. wich wont be far from were you started because of all the acidents, even if the streets were clear, when you stoped to look for gas or to syphen gas out of other cars, the zombies would not only see you roll up but hear you and go strait to your position.. where you are standing.. out of your veicle.. out of gas, and with only a plastic gas can and a hose in your hands.. bad idea.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mindfreak21

thanks mindfreak21 good advice I've often thought that with many zombies silence is golden

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
personally i would just barricade myself somewhere they cant reach, and if one tryies to kill them silently, give it a couple of weeks and they will all rot away, or at the least you will die from no food, so you won't have to work

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Always assume the worst when talking about zombies, assume that they can run and are strong at the very least, that way if they aren't different you have an easier task than you thought you where facing. Also, assume zombies will decompose at a different rate, because the desease will certainly affect the bacteria that normaly carry out decomposition.

Also, when comes to guns, use semi-auto .22 weapons, using subsonic ammunition, and if possible, get a surpressor or find some other way of making it as quiet as possible. The .22 is fairly quiet, and when aimed at the head if it enters the skull the brain is pretty much f****** because the bullet will bounce around in the skull and destroy the brain. When firing a gun try to fire as little as possible, to avoid attracting attention. The bow and crossbow are also excellent weapons, however they are relatively slow to fire and hitting the brain and causing sufficient damage is tough with the bow. Also (assuming that it is legal) try to aqquire suppressors for as many of your weapons as you possibly can, in order to minimise the amount of attention you attract when firing.

For melee weapons, if you have the streangth blunt weapons are ok, but otherwise use a sword that is intended for combat (not like the modern fakes out there). A good machete or kukri would be a good weapon to use because they are designed to be tough and take a lot of abuse.

As for groups smaller is usually better. Less than ten people is ideal (but at the least 3) because there is generally less time spent on desision making and the smaller the group, the less food and noise they make. Larger groups are usually slower than smaller groups and attract much more attention.

When traveling use a bike as bikes are much faster than a walking person but quieter than a moter powered vehicle. Mountain bikes are preferable because you should probably avoid the roads and they are designed to take a significant beating and still function.

When baracading, make sure there is at least one extra way out, because otherwise if you are stuck by a large group (30 or more) you will have a hard time fighting free.
edit on 2-3-2011 by JDBlack because: add stuff

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
Always assume the worst when talking about zombies, assume that they can run and are strong at the very least, that way if they aren't different you have an easier task than you thought you where facing. Also, assume zombies will decompose at a different rate, because the desease will certainly affect the bacteria that normaly carry out decomposition.

Also, when comes to guns, use semi-auto .22 weapons, using subsonic ammunition, and if possible, get a surpressor or find some other way of making it as quiet as possible. The .22 is fairly quiet, and when aimed at the head if it enters the skull the brain is pretty much f****** because the bullet will bounce around in the skull and destroy the brain. When firing a gun try to fire as little as possible, to avoid attracting attention. The bow and crossbow are also excellent weapons, however they are relatively slow to fire and hitting the brain and causing sufficient damage is tough with the bow. Also (assuming that it is legal) try to aqquire suppressors for as many of your weapons as you possibly can, in order to minimise the amount of attention you attract when firing.

i totaly agree about assuming that they will be very fast, smart, and strong so you are ready for anything.. but omg! no .22 bullets wont bounce arround in the brain! thats a common mis conception. nit even a steel plate would be strong enough to bring the bullet to a complete stop and redirect the energh in the opposite direction with enough force to propel the bullet back through the brain which is a solid mass, and even if they did have enough velocity to do that, it would just simply go in one side of the skull and out the other because the human brain isnot strong enough to hold up to that much force(wich it doesnt have). also, cross bows have alot of energy and are just as effective at killing as .22lr and if you add some sturdy broadheads(not the ones with the blade inserts or the coladsable ones but the ones that are one sturdy pice of metal) you can do some real damageeven if it doesnt hit the head.and they can be deadly acurate.. i wood rather have a crossbow with a scope than a pistol with a silencer due to the acuracy of the bow.

oh and unless you just got robbed tou shood have way to much gear to have on a bike,, i wood say one of those big trikes i see the gangsters ridin, they got space to put things inthe back, but those go really slow..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join