It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the Bible teaches about homosexuality.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

the best that his gentile mind would allow.

Gentile mind? Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I will respectfully disagree with you again. I do believe that the books of the Bible were written by God through men. Now, I will give you this, if you do not believe in the God that I do, I can see why you do not think this. However, those that claim to believe in the God of the Bible, the God of the Jews, believe that he penned the words. Well, most of us do. I am not convinced that the Bible consists of every book that God has written, but that is another debate.

I try to not put God in a box. If I believe that God created everything around me, how could I doubt that he could make sure the whole of his message be preserved though time. There are many truths in the Bible that can prove this, again, at least I believe that. The Bible knew that the world was round well before the common man knew this. It knew that the earth was not the center of the universe. I could go on and on. I guess what I am getting at is that if man wrote the Bible of his own cognition, how would he have known those things. How would so many different people write of the same things that were regionally separated and over a time span of hundreds and hundreds of years?

Again, I will give you this, if you do not believe what I believe, we will disagree and that is fine. It is very clear in my belief that not everyone will come to know/believe what I do. God gave us free will for a reason and I am really not trying to be a smart ass.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ArchIlluminatus

I would listen to the Bible,.....IF....it had been actually written by GOD. But it wasn't. It was written in stages by some 25 different men, over 100 years after Christ "lived and died". Thus these men projected their own thoughts, feelings, judgings into what they wrote.

And it is also a greatly known historical fact that the current Bible has been edited over and over to fit the teachings of the times in which the Vatican can control its people with fear. The Christian/Catholic religion morphed symbols from several religions being practiced at the time in order to draw more followers.

There are 15 "books" that were part of the origional writings that are not included today.
A couple of those "books" describe the alien race that were known as the Angels from the Heaven's came..(.ie: the Anunnaki), whom created us in their image and mated with human women. The most famous woman being The Virgin Mary. Thus creating Jesus....an Alien /Human Hybrid.

And another 7 "books" which have yet to be decifered.

I am someone who seeks answers, and I do my research.

The whole argument between our 2 sides comes down to this........NOT everyone believes in religion, so to base all of your arguments with religion as your reasoning creates a stalemate. Neithere side wins. We just huff and puff at each other day after day. And we will continue to do so til the end of time.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Man, I can't take this anymore. There are so many non-Christians out there who think they understand the Bible, and yet so few actually do.

My friend i was taught the lessons of the bible from a man that knows this book better then probably anyone ont his planet... A man who keeps Gods word to the T, including the true sabbath, which is always overlooked.

And even this man had hate and intolerance in his heart....

Your bible quotes mean nothing, again...i can quote a number of story books it doesn't make them true.

The bible isn't Gods word, what jesus taught (originally, before edits) is Gods word...........And again for the hundredth time...

GOD ISN'T IN A BOOK!
edit on 2-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

You don't even believe Paul, what you talk'en about anyway, what kind of Christian are you, the selective type?
You go half way with the Word, and you preach love, well you got some of it right at least I guess.
You one strange cookie, you said you were in the Marines, were you ever in live action? Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, or some other?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkATi

There are over 1500 different Christian Faith groups in North America alone.

Apparently -- Christians are not in agreement of what Christians believe either.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dwigt
reply to post by Akragon

I will respectfully disagree with you again. I do believe that the books of the Bible were written by God through men. Now, I will give you this, if you do not believe in the God that I do, I can see why you do not think this. However, those that claim to believe in the God of the Bible, the God of the Jews, believe that he penned the words. Well, most of us do. I am not convinced that the Bible consists of every book that God has written, but that is another debate.

I try to not put God in a box. If I believe that God created everything around me, how could I doubt that he could make sure the whole of his message be preserved though time. There are many truths in the Bible that can prove this, again, at least I believe that. The Bible knew that the world was round well before the common man knew this. It knew that the earth was not the center of the universe. I could go on and on. I guess what I am getting at is that if man wrote the Bible of his own cognition, how would he have known those things. How would so many different people write of the same things that were regionally separated and over a time span of hundreds and hundreds of years?

Again, I will give you this, if you do not believe what I believe, we will disagree and that is fine. It is very clear in my belief that not everyone will come to know/believe what I do. God gave us free will for a reason and I am really not trying to be a smart ass.

i appreciate what your saying.....and no i don't believe in the God in the bible, that is not God. God isn't a being in the clouds waiting to spike a lightning bolt at me if i sin. Sin in general is a lie, you are free to do whatever you like in this life. Regardless, Karma will correct you if its needed.....You can murder and rape, lie and "sin" as much as you like with little reprecussions....but again your Karma you create will aways catch up to you in this life or the next.

So we can agree to disagree, but realize there is only one God...The system that was created on earth is perfect which is why God doesn't intervien in human affairs....Karma will teach you what you need to learn...

The people who wrote the bible...did...not...know...God, aside from one man which was Christ.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawaii50th
You don't even believe Paul, what you talk'en about anyway, what kind of Christian are you, the selective type?

I have said often enough, I am not a christian. I am merely a follower of Christ. He is within me as he is with the father. I do not need a label for I follow no one else but the father.

Originally posted by hawaii50th
You go half way with the Word, and you preach love, well you got some of it right at least I guess.
You one strange cookie, you said you were in the Marines, were you ever in live action? Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, or some other?

Love is the whole of the Law my friend. Christ told you, Love one another.

I never saw any combat, in that I was blessed. I did a tour to Djibouti, Africa which counted as a Combat tour, but I never took fire nor returned it. This is not to say I have not seen the horrible effects of Man waging war on each other.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mizbeach40

I would listen to the Bible,.....IF....it had been actually written by GOD. But it wasn't. It was written in stages by some 25 different men, over 100 years after Christ "lived and died". Thus these men projected their own thoughts, feelings, judgings into what they wrote.

What you claim is blatantly false. The Bible has over 44 authors, not 25. Secondly, the only book written after 70 A.D. was Revelation which was penned in 90 AD. The year of Paul and Peter's martyrdoms are historical record. And none of their epistles makes mention of the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in 70 A.D.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Who Wrote the Bible?

Many people contributed to the writing of the Bible. Actually the Bible is a collection of writings from about forty contributors, thirty in the Old Testament and ten in the New Testament. For example, the Psalms are a collection of the works of several authors, of whom David, the "sweet singer of Israel", is the best known. But psalms were also written by Moses, by Asaph, by a man named Ethan, and by the sons of Korah.

The accounts which have been preserved in the Old Testament date from the earliest times and were both written down and transmitted orally. As time passed they were collected together and received by the Hebrews as coming to them by God's mandate. The prophets transmit God's message to humans, while many of the Psalms articulate cries of people to God. Yet these psalms are also preserved in the Bible as part of God's message to mankind.

The New Testament stories and teachings were widely circulated among the early Christian churches. The letters of Paul to the Christians in several cities were likely the earliest writings now found in the New Testament. But many other letters and epistles were circulated as well. Gradually it became clear to the early churches which writings were truly inspired and which were spurious or simply edifying messages from pious authors.

It is truly amazing that all forty of these authors, spread out over 1600 years, have such a unified message in spite of their great diversity in language, culture and time. There is a reason for that! The reason is that these forty or so writers are all secondary authors. There is actually only one primary author, the one who inspired all the human authors, the eternal God.

Christians believe that the Bible came to us from God himself, who used all these human authors to give us his message, through the presence and inspiration of his Spirit. He did not simply give dictation to these authors, because we observe their unique personalities and varying styles of writing shining through. But God's message, God's authorship, is always there, providing in the end through all the years, exactly what he wanted us to have. In this way the Bible is our own ageless treasure.

www.biblica.com...

Is the Bible inspired?

Is the Bible inspired? And what does that mean? Christians do believe that the Bible is inspired, but not nearly everyone is clear as to what that means. The Bible itself says in 2 Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."(NIV) Did you catch that word "God-breathed"? That's the biblical term to describe what is meant by the inspiration of God's Word. But how did God "breathe", that is, just how did he give the writers of the Bible his message?

Some Christians believe that God dictated the Bible word for word in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, and that the writers were simply secretaries who recorded those words. But there are two big problems with this view.

First of all, as we look at the writing styles of the various human authors, it is clear that their personalities are very much in evidence in what they write. There is no mechanical word-for-word dictation going on here.

For example, the apostle Paul wrote with long, complicated sentences, and our English translations generally put them into shorter sentences so we can more clearly understand them. However, Mark wrote his Gospel using short, action-packed sentences that race along in a much different way.

While the Gospel of John also covers the life of Jesus, his description of Jesus' life, words, and deeds comes from a much different point of view than Luke. Yet both were transmitting the inspired message which God gave them.

That is why most Christians conclude that God provided the precise thought to the human author, and he then wrote it down in terms of his own vocabulary, culture, education, and writing style. So we have here no wooden, single-colored document, but a many-faceted and dynamic book.

The second problem with the word-for-word view of inspiration is that many of the Psalms (and other passages) are the cries of imperfect, suffering people, who are voicing their own complaints or praises to God. They are words and thoughts emanating directly from the hearts of God's people, which he in turn allowed to be placed in the Bible so we could identify with these complaining, suffering or rejoicing people who are so much like us. God used their words and thoughts.

For those reasons many Christians believe that inspiration should be described as thought-for-thought rather than word-for-word. The human writers provide God's message in terms of their own personalities and historical circumstances, and yet they transmit the message fully and exactly as God desired. So we can call this view of inspiration "dynamic", as well as "verbal" (extending to the very words of the writer) and "plenary" (meaning that the Bible is fully and totally inspired.)

There's a third view of inspiration, too. This view asserts that the writers of the Bible were indeed inspired, but so were many great artists, musicians, and authors. Some superhuman, transcendent, divine aura possessed them and they produced works of sheer genius.

This is not what most Christians mean when they refer to inspiration.

Rather, Christians believe that the message God gave us in the Bible is unique, and in fact, infallible.

It is the work of the Holy Spirit who so guided the writers of the Scripture that they gave us, in their unique manner, exactly the message God intended.

So we can say that the Bible is a very human book, for we see in it both elegance and lack of polish, both finesse and struggle. But it is a divine book as well, for it is the only book in all the world that is truly "God-breathed". It is humanity's precious gift from God. Is it your guide for time and eternity?

www.biblica.com...

Here is more Bible FAQs www.biblica.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

This is from the NIV isn't it? In Romans "abusers of themselves with mankind", this English translation comes from the Greek word arsenokoites. The popular translation of which is homosexual, but that doesn't make any sense because the Greeks already had a word for homosexual and that was androkoites. So it may have another meaning. Leviticus is pretty straightforward though, however it has been argued that a homosexual can't lie with a man as he does with a woman because he doesn't lie with women at all. In that case, this would be a condemnation of the sexually hedonistic philosophy that "a hole is a hole". I personally think this is a lame and flimsy argument, but you can't blame them for trying. Still, I really disagree with the guy you keep posting, he's judgemental and obnoxious. Also, I would like to add that moral outrage is a confession of sorts, so the homosexuals are not to far from the truth when they call these guys "closeted". Every saved person knows that they have been reprieved from a law that would have damned them and we must show the same mercy to others as we have shown. If we judge others according to the law, so shall we be judged. I suppose it's not a bad idea to point out possibly sinful behaviors, but in the end, personal iniquities are between God and the individual and we only serve to push people away from God by showing them only judgment instead of mercy. Remember:

MATTHEW 12: 31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come"

It is more important that we show homosexuals that God loves them, because disenfranchising them will most certainly damn them. I want to cry every time i hear a homosexual say "I don't want anything to do with your bigoted God". The bigots have a lot of blood on their hands and a lot of wayward sheep to answer for.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
reply to post by Dwigt

You've got to be playing by the rules to be in the game so going against the basics like men being with women to reproduce(the whole point of attraction and a relationship)you aren't apart of the whole ''don't judge'' thing.

Yes, you are right. I know what you are getting at here. Those that choose to continue to live in sin most likely do not share my Christian faith. However, we live in a broken world, very, very broken. There are many Christians that do follow Jesus and are gay, it happens. There are also many Christians that are very hateful or prideful as well, I do not go around jumping on them either. Those that are close to me in my life know what I believe and they know my stance on things. I fall off the old sin wagon all the time though and if I condemned someone for their actions, what would that say of me?

edit on 2-3-2011 by Dwigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by mizbeach40

What you claim is blatantly false. The Bible has over 44 authors, not 25. Secondly, the only book written after 70 A.D. was Revelation which was penned in 90 AD. The year of Paul and Peter's martyrdoms are historical record. And none of their epistles makes mention of the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple in 70 A.D.

People you're missing the point...........

God didn't write the bible..... that is a fact if nothing else. It doesn't matter who wrote it! WHO CARES!!

There is one man in the bible whos word can me taken as complete truth....and he preached love for all men.

The rest is moot...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

God didn't write the bible..... that is a fact if nothing else. It doesn't matter who wrote it! WHO CARES!!

Really? The book is prophetic, meaning only an entity that exists outside the spacetime dimension could have authored it. The author is the Holy Spirit, the people writing the books only held the pens.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Akragon

Really? The book is prophetic, meaning only an entity that exists outside the spacetime dimension could have authored it. The author is the Holy Spirit, the people writing the books only held the pens.

Too bad prophets don't exist nor have they ever....the book has good moral value, but it was not written by God. Men inspired by God doesn't mean God, theres been men who were "inspired" by God that have committed the most horrible attrocities all through out our history....

IF you think God wrote this book, you're only fooling yourself....

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

We are all children of god and it is gods will that some of us will be homosexuals. Its just the way things are. God created us all including homosexuals. Jesus hung around with a bunch of men and some of the things he said to them was very homoerotic.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

How do we know the bible is true, because the church says it is?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

They never existed? Are you kidding me? Their words were written is scrolls hundreds of years before the events they prophesy came about. The book of Daniel was so perfectly accurate that skeptics for centuries claimed it was written hundreds of years later, but oooooops, when the Dead Sea scrolls were discovered lo and behold there were copies of Daniel.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Originally posted by Dwigt
reply to post by Akragon

i appreciate what your saying.....and no i don't believe in the God in the bible, that is not God. God isn't a being in the clouds waiting to spike a lightning bolt at me if i sin. Sin in general is a lie, you are free to do whatever you like in this life. Regardless, Karma will correct you if its needed.....You can murder and rape, lie and "sin" as much as you like with little reprecussions....but again your Karma you create will aways catch up to you in this life or the next.

So we can agree to disagree, but realize there is only one God...The system that was created on earth is perfect which is why God doesn't intervien in human affairs....Karma will teach you what you need to learn...

The people who wrote the bible...did...not...know...God, aside from one man which was Christ.

Okay, I have to get a few things straight. You don't believe in the same God I do, the God of the Bible. However, you still believe that my God is a being in the clouds waiting to spike lightning bolts in sinners. Well, I see that you have been taught by a Biblical scholar, so you know your stuff, but where on earth did this come from? You talk about fairy tales being more accurate than the Bible, but this little scenario sounds like a fairy tale from hell! If your teacher knew what he was teaching, you would know that God considers us ALL sinners. In an effort to not come across as a smart ass, I will say you were joking about the lighting bolts, but does that still mean we should all be dead right now? According to the Bible I know, there has never been a full human on earth that was void of sin.

Secondly, I just want to get it straight. You believe that what I believe is silly, but you believe in Karma?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Its a sin! ( sarcasm ) , we are all a sin! We are all doomed and destined to Hell! ( sarcasm )

In all seriousness though, who cares what the bible or any other religious nut says about Homo's? The fact is that religion is been the cause of more famine, plagues and war in history! Don't believe me? Read about the crusades! Case closed~

You are ignorant of history.

The crusades were started by Islamic groups killing Christians as they journeyed to Holy sights.

The English crusaders were sent in to protect the Christians traveling to the "stomping grounds" of Jesus and other important religious figures.

Do your homework.

Besides, Obviously the OP cares about what the Bible says about homosexuality - so perhaps we should honor his wishes in his thread and comment on the topic at hand instead of trailing off on a rant.
edit on 2-3-2011 by MentorsRiddle because: spelling
Actually that's only half true. You see the Crusades essentially started with, like you said, complaints about pilgrims being persecuted in the holy land, but the real reason is because of Constantinople. At this time, the Byzantine empire was crumbling and under attack by Islamic armies, so the Emperor of Constantinople sent a plea of military support to the Pope whose empire (Europe) was more stable. The Pope used this as an excuse to invade the holy land and take it for himself. They murdered men, women, children, Jews, Muslims, and fellow Christians. Meanwhile the Eastern Orthodox didn't take part in the crusades, following Ya'hshuah's call to pacifism. In retaliation, the Crusaders sacked Constantinople in 1204.

So there's no reason to make apologies for the Crusades, because it did not involve all of "Christendom", nor was all of "Christendom" involved in the Spanish Inquisition or Witch Burnings. So, you and the poster you replied to are both only half correct. Christianity is not responsible for the Crusades, nor is Christianity the cause of all woes and murders. The simple truth is that the Roman Catholic Church, for much of it's existence has been flat out evil.
edit on 2-3-2011 by kallisti36 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join