It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the Bible teaches about homosexuality.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
There is a huge debate on going on what the Bible actually says about homosexuality. It's very clear it's against it. I have provided quotes form scripture and links to well known and credible preachers audio sermons. Let this be a start to clearing the subject matter up.

The scripture:

Genesis 2:24-25 “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.”

Romans 1:26-27 “For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.” In 1 Corinthians 6:9, Paul wrote, “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind.”

Leviticus 18:22 You must not have sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman; it is a detestable act.

Deuteronomy 23:17 "There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel"

Leviticus 20:13 If a man has sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman, the two of them have committed an abomination. They must be put to death; their blood guilt is on themselves.

Matthew 19:4-6 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Genesis 19:3-5; 23-25 But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”

By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land.

Sermons that explain the Bible position:

John MacArthur does a good job on covering the Biblical, social, and health effects of homosexuality. He quotes sources, even secular ones. He also covers transvestitism, transsexualism, etc. It's really worth listening to and will help cover the questions that people have about Christianity's views on the matter. Here is his bio Link that shows his credentials, he's well studied and trained.

They have the option to listen online or download the mp3s.

What the Bible Teaches About Homosexuality John MacArthur

God's View of Homosexuality Part 1 John MacArthur

God's View of Homosexuality Part 2 John MacArthur

Answering Key Questions About Homosexuality John MacArthur

Homosexuality and the Bible John MacArthur

In his sermons he also covers how it's been twisted that Jonathan and David are homosexuals which is untrue. He covers all angles of the matter, how people take things out of context. He's an excellent Bible scholar and preacher. He presents it in a clam and intelligent matter.

Here is a quote from the first sermon link just in case you feel the need to say it's not loving to point out this sin

If this is the worst sin, then Sodom and Gomorrah's judgment is the severest exercise of God's vengeance. And the sad thing is when the church accepts this and people accept it. You know what's sad about it? People say, "Oh, you're not loving...you're not being kind to those people." You want to know something? If you want to really do a job on them and damn them to hell forever, just tell them it's okay to do that. But if you want to help them, then tell them its sin because until they see it as sin they cannot come to God for forgiveness, right? Don't say it's unloving. Hey, we all were saved out of some sin but we were saved until we knew we were in sin and needed a Savior, right?

I will say what I will say about homosexuality and I'll say it over and over and I'll say it as often as I need to to whomever I need to say it because it's the only way they'll ever be delivered is to see it for what it is. They are sinful. They are alienated from God. And the love of their own vile sinfulness makes them want to justify it and the deepest ugliest pit of self-justification is to say that the Bible permits it or teaches it or advocates it. That is simply to pursue the path of destruction.

Now let me say something to you. There's no such thing as a homosexual in a technical sense...there are just people who choose to do homosexual sins. And some supposed new report came out and said, "Well, we now believe it's something you're born with." That's right. You're born with a wretched rotten sin nature. And because of certain temptations and certain problems, some people go that way into that kind of sin. But it is a perversion of God's design. It is not some thing that's a result of your genetic structure, it's not something you can't help, it's not the fault of your dominating mother or your passive father, although they may contribute to the temptation problem, it's a choice you make. And you choose to do it and you choose to keep on doing it or you choose to be changed.

And you know what's so wonderful, when you realize that it isn't something you're born with but it's a sin. Then you realize you can be delivered from it like any other sin. That's essentially, you know, a liberating thing.

edit on 2-3-2011 by ArchIlluminatus because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have one thing that completely contradicts anything you can throw at me about this topic:

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

P.S. I believe any anti homosexual scripture was added by egotistical and probably closeted men in power when the "Bible" was written in its current form.

Any religion that promotes love between all of gods creations, and that god loves all of his creations, but then says "this type of creation is wrong", is incredibly hypocritical.

Either god loves all of his creations, or he doesn't exist as the god that the bible trys to teach us.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ArchIlluminatus

Okay, being a preacher who never trusts modern (per)versions of Scripture, I have to reply to this. I usually stick to the Physics, but I'm temporarily crossing over. Do not take English translations at face value. Ever.
I wrote something regarding this and posted it as a note on Facebook a couple weeks ago. Here's what the Bible says:

No matter what you say, someone will always be offended by it. As members of the body of Christ, if we stop speaking whenever our words might spark outrage, we would be a silent, and ineffective, witness. We cannot spread His Word with our mouths shut, or with any regard for our own sensibilities and physical wellbeing. When something needs to be said, we must say it.

(To anyone who reads this: ignore the world and its influence, if just for these next few minutes. And, perhaps more importantly, ignore the assumptions and distortions that have permeated denominationalism for centuries. “He who has an ear, let him hear.”)

Today (February 1, 2011), Illinois legalized same-sex civil unions, joining several others that stop short of legalizing same-sex marriage. In Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont, as well as in the nation’s capital, same-sex marriages are legal. In contrast, 31 states have constitutionally restricted “marriage” to be between one man and one woman.
Outside the US, ten nations have federally acknowledged the legality of same sex marriages, including Canada, and many others are currently debating the topic. Whether the union, and marriage, of same-sex couples should be recognized is a hot topic, with strong opinions on all sides. Those who know me, however, know that there is only one side I’m interested in. So, let’s take a look at what that side has to say.

Fundamentalist Christians (and, in the political arena, Conservatives – together representing the Archie Bunkers of this world) are well-known for their vocal opposition to same-sex marriage, as well as homosexuality or gender reversal of any kind. I have a significant respect for anyone who passionately bases their views on Scripture. This is a rare trait, and, not coincidentally, it is also the only way to truly know where to stand. This also leads to an important detail: where the Bible is silent, we should also be silent. As Christians, our opinions on topics such as this can only be Biblically supported if, in fact, the Bible speaks of that topic. If God saw fit to overlook certain subjects, then why should we assert our own prejudices?

What we need to do, then, is take a serious look at what Scripture has to say concerning homosexuality and related issues. If the Bible presents a side, that is the side we should take; if the Bible is silent, then we have no right to speak anymore than our own opinions. If all we have, in the end, is opinion, then we have no right to use those opinions to influence the lives of others.
That being said, there are a couple go-to passages that almost any fundamentalist/Conservative Christian will immediately recite in opposition to same-sex marriage:

Leviticus 20:13 (KJV) – “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”

Deuteronomy 23:17 (KJV) – “There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.”

Romans 1:26–27 (KJV) – “For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.”

Jude 1:7 (KJV) – “Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.”

Notice that two of these rely on an interpretation of what happened in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, which is described in Genesis 19. A thorough analysis of this event would be space-consuming, but even just an overview of that chapter leads to an interesting realization. Traditionally, we have been taught that the crime of these two cities was a grab-bag of sexual immorality. However, a re-read of what happened should reveal that this was, in fact, not what incurred God’s wrath. Genesis 19:12–13 reads, “And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place: For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it.” This judgement was following an incident in which the people of the city were hostile against Lot, and was the pivotal moment that led to their destruction. Why? Because this was an exceptional violation of a very specific commandment: “Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt” (Exodus 22:21, KJV). The sin of Sodom was not of a sexual nature (although the land did represent much of what God detested in heathen nations); rather, it was a sin of antagonism against a stranger in their land. This is confirmed by Jesus, Himself, when he tells His apostles, “And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.” (Matthew 10:14–15). Just as Sodom and Gomorrha, the sin of those Jesus spoke of was a refusal to accept His people.

Consequently, the term “sodomite” has come to refer to someone who is sexually perverse, but this term is deceptive, and its use in Deuteronomy 23:17 is, therefore, also deceptive. The original Hebrew word which is translated as “sodomite” in this case is qadesh. Note that this has no connection with the name Sodom, which is from S(e)dom. Qadesh, instead, refers specifically to male prostitutes engaging in ritualistic sex in Pagan temples. It has no homosexual connotations and to be translated as such is a distortion of Scripture.
Additionally, the feminine equivalent of qadesh, quedeshaw, is often (loosely, but more accurately) translated as “whore”. This clearly has no homosexual connotations.

This leaves a pair of passages: those in Leviticus and Romans.
The two verses in Romans are the key Scripture used to present an anti-homosexual stand based in the New Testament. When we read them, however, two things need to be taken into consideration. The first is the context in which they were written. The second is the use of the word “nature”.
First, the author of Romans was writing at a time in which homosexuality and, to an even greater extent, bisexuality were rampant within the Roman Empire, especially within the persistent Pagan temples of those who had already heard the Word of God.
Second, what was the “nature” of those who practised this form of gender-bending? Obviously, this nature was that of heterosexuality. But, the significance of this can only be seen when we combine this with the context of the passage. When we do this, we see that the writer of Romans was not condemning homosexuality. He was, however, condemning the homosexuality present in Pagan temples, which was for the purpose of prostitution and went against the nature of those practicing it. These were “straight” men acting “gay” for the purpose of making money within the temples of Pagan gods; this was not an explicit condemnation of individuals who were (or are, even today) homosexual by nature.

Finally, in Leviticus, we have an explicit pronouncement of death should any man “also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman.” Save for the death penalty, this is a reiteration of Leviticus 18:22. Admittedly, the simplest interpretation of this Scripture, taking both the context and the original language into consideration, remains one of anti-homosexual sentiment. Here, it is clearly stated that a man who “lies” with a man as with a woman is guilty of an “abomination”. Regardless of the definition of “abomination”, the meaning is obvious, but, for the sake of utmost clarity, let’s dig a little deeper.
What, exactly, is an “abomination”? The Hebrew word here is to’ebah. This carries a connotation of Pagan condemnation, and suggests that the cause for condemnation was ritualistic uncleanness. Whether something was “clean” or “unclean” was of utmost importance to the nation of Israel under the Old Covenant.
Why was it important whether something was clean or unclean? Because the actions of the Israelites were ultimately the source of their salvation. They performed ritualistic sacrifice to cleanse themselves of sin. Anyone who was not cleansed in this way was guilty of violating the Law, as were those who brought unclean acts into the land of Israel. Therefore, anything that was unclean was called to’ebah – an abomination.
What else was unclean? Here are just a few examples:

pork, shrimp, and lobster (Leviticus 11);
menstruation, any bodily discharge of fluid, and anything or anyone these fluids came into contact with (Leviticus 15);
meat with blood, crossbreeding, shaving, and tattoos (Leviticus 19).

And this is where the vast majority of Christians fail to understand the significance of Jesus and the New Covenant. We no longer live under the Law. Today, we live under Grace, and our actions are no longer a means to salvation. Instead, our salvation rests on the death, burial, and resurrection of the Son of God. It no longer matters whether a thing or action is clean or unclean. What matters now is faith, repentance, and baptism into the Kingdom of God.

How can we effectively testify to that Grace if we spend our time and effort decrying varying definitions of gender and judging individuals who are living according to their nature (recall Romans 1:26–27)? Homosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals, and heterosexuals all live their lives by this nature, and to deny all but the social “norm” the most basic of rights – the right to be free in the mind and body they were given – is not in the job description of God’s people. This is our duty: to encourage all people to be faithful in the work God has for each of us. Anything beyond that is insolence to the Grace of God and the saving power of His Son.

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think it is important to remember that God does not hate the sinner, God hates sin.

Therefore, God does not hate homosexuals, he hates the act of homosexuality.

Every sin has its weight before God, of equal weight.

So, homosexuality is the same as lying, murder, theft, rape, dishonor of elders, etc.

We are all guilty of sin, and short comings, so should not judge others of their sin.

For we, as Christians, are commanded not to judge others – least we be judged.

I do not condone homosexuality, because my religious doctrine dictates it, yet I will not hate a homosexual.

I will love them the same as I love my brother – for God sent his Son into the world not to condemn the world, but that the world, through him, may have eternal life.

Any Christian who hates homosexuals is a bigot and does not understand their own religion.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Its a sin! ( sarcasm ) , we are all a sin! We are all doomed and destined to Hell! ( sarcasm )

In all seriousness though, who cares what the bible or any other religious nut says about Homo's? The fact is that religion is been the cause of more famine, plagues and war in history! Don't believe me? Read about the crusades! Case closed~

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Its a sin! ( sarcasm ) , we are all a sin! We are all doomed and destined to Hell! ( sarcasm )

In all seriousness though, who cares what the bible or any other religious nut says about Homo's? The fact is that religion is been the cause of more famine, plagues and war in history! Don't believe me? Read about the crusades! Case closed~

You are ignorant of history.

The crusades were started by Islamic groups killing Christians as they journeyed to Holy sights.

The English crusaders were sent in to protect the Christians traveling to the "stomping grounds" of Jesus and other important religious figures.

Do your homework.

Besides, Obviously the OP cares about what the Bible says about homosexuality - so perhaps we should honor his wishes in his thread and comment on the topic at hand instead of trailing off on a rant.
edit on 2-3-2011 by MentorsRiddle because: spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Here's my beef. The bible is against it, although I have seen debate that the context is questionable. What does this have to do with anything? I mean, Christians can't be homosexual..fine.. But this has nothing to do with our daily lives in the Western world unless we are Christian.

My distaste for these sorts of things stems from the fact that Christians are trying to impose their "morality" upon everyone regardless of religious or spiritual bias.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm just trying to clear up the debate on the subject. I see a lot of people taking things out of context and keep going around in circular arguments. John MacArthur covers the topic throughly in the above linked sermons.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Here's my beef. The bible is against it, although I have seen debate that the context is questionable. What does this have to do with anything? I mean, Christians can't be homosexual..fine.. But this has nothing to do with our daily lives in the Western world unless we are Christian.

My distaste for these sorts of things stems from the fact that Christians are trying to impose their "morality" upon everyone regardless of religious or spiritual bias.

Christians can be homosexuals.

That’s like saying a thief can’t be a Christian – or a liar can’t be a Christian.

We are called to a higher purpose.

Should you have desires to steal – God would ask of you to suppress those desires and do what’s right and what he commanded.

Same for homosexuality – God would ask you to suppress the desires for those of the same sex as you and do what’s right and what he commanded.

Most of this debate about homosexuals spawns from ignorant minds who want to attack anything they disagree with.

When, in reality, the Bible preaches love and forgiveness over violence and hatred.

Also, as far as Christians trying to impose their thoughts.

We are not called to "Save" people, but to plant seeds - through our words, actions and deeds.

God calls you to be saved - should you have the desire.

Christian means to be Christlike.

Christ walked the streets preaching and those who would came. He didn't barge into homes and demand an audience.

His works and deeds caused people to desire him and his knowledge.

edit on 2-3-2011 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

You are ignorant of history.

BWAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

I think it is you who needs to do their home work! BWAHAHAH

The Crusades were a series of Holy Wars launched by the Christian states of Europe against the Saracens. The term 'Saracen' was the word used to describe a Moslem during the time of the Crusades. The Crusades started in 1095 when Pope Claremont preached the First Crusade at the Council of Claremont. The Pope's preaching led to thousands immediately affixing the cross to their garments - the name Crusade given to the Holy Wars came from old French word 'crois' meaning 'cross'. The Crusades were great military expeditions undertaken by the Christian nations of Europe for the purpose of rescuing the holy places of Palestine from the hands of the Mohammedans. They were eight in number, the first four being sometimes called the Principal Crusades, and the remaining four the Minor Crusades.

The reason for the crusades was a war between Christians and Moslems which centered around the city of Jerusalem. The City of Jerusalem held a Holy significance to the Christian religion. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem commemorated the hill of crucifixion and the tomb of Christ's burial and was visited by Pilgrims. In 1065 Jerusalem was taken by the Turks and 3000 Christians were massacred starting a chain of events which contributed to the cause of the crusades.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Christians can be homosexuals.

That’s like saying a thief can’t be a Christian – or a liar can’t be a Christian.

We are called to a higher purpose.

Should you have desires to steal – God would ask of you to suppress those desires and do what’s right and what he commanded.

Same for homosexuality – God would ask you to suppress the desires for those of the same sex as you and do what’s right and what he commanded.

Most of this debate about homosexuals spawns from ignorant minds who want to attack anything they disagree with.

When, in reality, the Bible preaches love and forgiveness over violence and hatred.

Listen to the first sermon link I posted. He covers that a Christian can't be homosexual. Here I will post the transcript of that portion

It goes with apostasy and that's what I want you to note. It goes with rebellion against God. The thought of a Christian Gay person is utterly ridiculous. Now I suppose there could be a Christian who just like any other sin committed an act of homosexuality and for a Christian the Lord would forgive, wash it clean. But there couldn't be a Christian who went around defending that as if it were a righteous life style. And there's a big difference.

Look at 1 Corinthians chapter 6 and see the next passage that deals with it. Verse 9, Paul says, "Don't you know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the Kingdom of God? Be not deceived neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor effeminate--that could well sort of pull together the transvestite, transsexual thought--nor homosexuals." The Authorized says abusers of themselves with mankind. And, boy, that's really graphic terminology. And here Paul condemns it again.

And then in 11, "And such were some of you but you were washed," why? Because that stuff was filthy, you see. You had to be washed from that, sanctified, justified. It is an incredible thing that the church could exist in a day when people say this is a righteous kind of life style, an alternative. Paul says you've got to be washed of that stuff. I mean, imagine, the parents and friends of Christian murderers or the parents and friends of Christian fornicators...wouldn't that be a nice organization? The parents and friends of Christian fornicators is having a luncheon...the parents and friends of Christian adulterers is having a picnic.

First Timothy chapter 1 verse 10 says, "The law of God is made to condemn and the ones that its made to condemn--verse 10-- are fornicators." And the next one, "Those that defile themselves with mankind," that's homosexuals. Fornicators and homosexuals..."And any other thing contrary to sound doctrine." The root for that term there is...it's actually sodomites, the root means to go to bed with a man. And that's contrary to sound doctrine.

People please listen to those sermons before posting.
edit on 2-3-2011 by ArchIlluminatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The bible doesn't teach about homosexuality, it only tells you not to like it and consider it as a crime.

Sexology can teach you about homosexuality.
edit on 2-3-2011 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I listened to your links.

But, it's not true.

He is only a man and is misunderstanding the faith.

Men are prone to folly.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

But, it's not true.

Men are prone to folly.

You're going to have to do better than that. Quote sources. Just saying 'it's not true' doesn't make it so. Back up your statement.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArchIlluminatus

But, it's not true.

Men are prone to folly.

You're going to have to do better than that. Quote sources. Just saying 'it's not true' doesn't make it so. Back up your statement.

I did better than that, a couple posts after your OP.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I don't have to back it up - the Bible does.

Here is a few scriptures for you:

1. Judge not least ye be judged.

2. God sent his son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world through him may have ever lasting life.

3. All are called but few are chosen.

I think Jesus's opinion is more important than his opinion. After all the faith is centered around Jesus and not that man.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

John MacArthur refutes that view point in the sermon links I provided.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

It's not judging to point out what is sin. I added a quote to my original post to cover that.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ArchIlluminatus

What single point did he refute, exactly? I believe I posted an entire Scriptural analysis.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

I know you are passionate in your belief that any "anti-homosexual" scripture was added by a homophobe later on and not intended by God to be in the Bible...but there is simply no evidence of such a conspiracy.

The truth is just as was stated by the author of this thread. You can disagree with it if you want but you can't debate the documents given based upon your feelings, or your suspicions that verses were added by people later who didn't like gay people...you simply don't have the evidence to support such a claim.

Its historical record that homosexuality has always been understood as a sin by both orthodox Jews as well as the Christian church.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join