It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Annoyance Over The Privacy Of Social Networking Sites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Can I just say, if this is in the wrong forum, would the mods please move it.

In light of the recent news about Facebook releasing the private details of it's customers, I saw this article. I don't know whether it was inspired by the revelation regarding Facebook however.

The article contains 6 annoyances that, mainly, social networking sites are guilty of. I don't know if the order of these things relates to how annoying they are, but here they are:
- Insisting they can't protect your private information without more information
- Tracking you wherever you are (whether you like it or not)
- Reading and censoring your private messages
- Removing your ability to say no
- Following you round the internet (whether you want them to or not)
- Making it ridiculously hard to delete anything

One of the things that really annoys me is the fact that google mail logs the IP address of the computer you used to log on to your gmail account. I know this can be good in case your account details are compromised. But I never asked them to do so and it takes a week to disable the feature.

I know the simple answer is to not use these sites and/or services, but that's just not feasible in this day and age; our entire life revolves around technology and will continue to do so until we die

6 Things Social Networking Sites Need To Stop Doing

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

yeah, its really annoying and intrusive- I have been trying to offset it by misinformation but it spooks friends
the farcebook experience is sorta like being slow boiled like a frog
yahoo and google are willing accessories too
an how about our paranoid govt's using the terrorist sky is falling call to infiltrate our god given freedoms
the anti christ should have no trouble tracking people when he shows up
y

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This kinda freaked me out so I immediately disabled it

Apparently, asking you whether you want to share your location simply isn't a thing anymore: Both Firefox and Chrome come with geolocation features turned on by default, using wireless networks to triangulate your position and bring you "personalized" search results.
Read more: www.cracked.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Yacov

This article really has opened my eyes and made me think about the security flaws that we're faced with these days

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
I know the simple answer is to not use these sites and/or services, but that's just not feasible in this day and age; our entire life revolves around technology and will continue to do so until we die

But this very statement is the problem in my opinion. We have a choice. We give these companies all of this information willingly. We can survive without doing it. There is a difference between liking something and it being vital to survival.

It is possible to live without Facebook. I know.
It is possible to live without Twitter. I am living proof.
It is possible to live without a cell phone. I lived through the time period before cell phones and made it! Even with kids! Imagine....my grocery shopping got done without a phone call from every aisle!

This is the very problem with today's society. If we all refused to participate in the very things that we KNOW takes our control away, that we KNOW invades our privacy....one of two things would happen. Either the technology would develop without impeding our desire for privacy, so that companies could woo customers back and generate profits again OR this technology would become obsolete, nobody would use it, and the original problem will no longer exist.

We are the ones that embraced all of this technology. If it was "impossible" to live without it, humanity would have been extinct long ago.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by uncuuncu

Before I saw the link that showed you how to disable it, I had a brief thought of switching back to internet explorer

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Never used them and never will for those reasons among others. Quite annoying seeing damn farcebook nearly everywhere online . Along with them putting a damn farcebook app on new mobiles - had to get the guy at the shop to remove the damn thing when bought my current mobile as it cant be deleted from the mobile like can for apps that are not wanted.. I almost didnt buy it due to the damn farcebook app... But the braindead masses will continue using farcebook. Use Baidu for my searches as wont use google either..
edit on 2-3-2011 by Expat888 because: Gremlins...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I know it is possible, but it really is an inconvenience. I never had a mobile phone until I was in year 7, which never bothered me then, but I had a friend who never got a mobile until he was 19! Trying to get a hold of him to see if he was coming out was a nightmare.

I don't use twitter myself, but I use Facebook. Not as much as most people, but I still go on for an hour or two every night to speak to my mates.

I'm not just talking about social networking sites either. Even our web browsers and email providers are at it now. What are we supposed to do, not use the internet?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

It is possible to live without Facebook. I know.
It is possible to live without Twitter. I am living proof.
It is possible to live without a cell phone. I lived through the time period before cell phones and made it! Even with kids! Imagine....my grocery shopping got done without a phone call from every aisle!

I never trusted Facebook or twitter or any site I can not post to without giving out name and E-mail to.

If I absolutely have to, I use my "Spam" e-mail address and a false name. I also do not use microsoft or credit cards.

Anything to make it harder and stay off the radar

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I have to agree with you.

It seems nowdays everyone has issues.

It's very easy to go and do whatever we want, pretending we're invisible online... when that crap turns back to us, we get angry....

Let's analyze this thing:

Problem - Insisting they can't protect your private information without more information
Solution - Do not put your privete/personal information online.

Problem - Tracking you wherever you are (whether you like it or not)
Solution - Log out before anything. Change your IP, connect to a different Provider, use a proxy, lot´s of solutions here...

Problem - Reading and censoring your private messages
Solution - Do not post private messages online.

Problem - Removing your ability to say no
What? Even torture can't get this 100%...

Problem - Following you round the internet (whether you want them to or not)
Solution - See number 2.

Problem - Making it ridiculously hard to delete anything
Solution - Do not post....

Disclaimer: I´m 29, I use the internet since I was 11 or 12... I have NEVER had any problem whatsoever about privacy online. I currently work with IT, and do a lot of online business. I have NEVER had any problem whatsoever about privacy online. I buy a lot of things online like computers, eletronics, even food. I also pay all my obligations online, and I play online poker. But guess what: I have NEVER had any problem whatsoever about privacy online.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
TIP 1

Here s a little help with who ever is running our
...oops a FB account

1 ) Book mark this link ( www.reclaimprivacy.org... ). Place it above were your browser opens tabs ( ie, Most Visited, Getting Started, Latest Headlines, etc....)

2 ) Log into your FB account

3) Once logged in press the Book Mark link and it will show you how and who is able to share your personal info, that being either a friend or anyone you have chosen or have not realized the access you have supplied them with.

If you encounter any problems, simply post up or u2u me

Sincerely
tristar

edit on 2-3-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
TIP 2

Some may be aware and some may not, either way another simple tip for all you fb fans.

To block outside businesses and websites from accessing your personal info on fb you must opt-out.

Instructions and steps needed to be done:

1. Click on the "Account button" in the upper right corner of the fb interface

2. Select "Privacy Settings"

3. Select "Applications and Websites"

4. Go to "Instant Personalization Pilot Program" and click "Edit Setting"

5. At the bottom of the screen, uncheck the box to opt-out from allowing these outside sources to access your personal fb info.
edit on 2-3-2011 by tristar because: fixed the " "

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

You can turn it off on FF, but if you use Google, you cannot turn it off. Google specifically says they don't offer the option to turn it off, because they want to "help you" by giving you the best search results.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

That's why you should use FF

Plus why use Chrome...I was surprised to find out it actually uses MORE memory than FF.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Chrome also keylogs you and sells it to advertising companies

Chrome lets google log user key stroke

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

You know... there is ONE simple solution!
Dont join these dumbass sites and if you have already, then leave them.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by uncuuncu
This kinda freaked me out so I immediately disabled it

Apparently, asking you whether you want to share your location simply isn't a thing anymore: Both Firefox and Chrome come with geolocation features turned on by default, using wireless networks to triangulate your position and bring you "personalized" search results.
Read more: www.cracked.com...

It's been happening a while, local services being advertised to you, usually "find local girls in ... " ads while you browse news websites or forums that have ads at the top of the boards.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

If you'd read the full post and others in this thread, you would have seen this

Instead of posting your knee jerk reaction

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I do, but I use Google on FF, which still tracks your location. I followed the instructions to disable it on FF, but when I search, I can still see my location.
edit on 2-3-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Great post...

Originally posted by Griffo

but oh so very wrong.

How could you willingly and knowingly submit your life details to a CIA harvesting operation? None of it is necessary. Life is better without these sites.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join