It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High court rules for military funeral protesters

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I cannot believe this. Seriously. I've about had it with this country.

I get free speech. I understand that it's important. But, for Christ's sake. This is taking it too far.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

"Congress shall make no law [...] abridging the freedom of speech"

But is this what the founding fathers had in mind?

It is just wrong in ever sense of the word.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by weareclouds
This is taking it too far.

No it's not. Stop thinking about it emotionally and start thinking about it logically. They have a right to say what they want to say regardless of what it is.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
But is this what the founding fathers had in mind?

Once you make saying one thing illegal it opens the flood gates for every unpopular, politically incorrect speech to be made illegal as well. Either all speech is legal or none is legal. Pick one.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

But when does free speech become hate speech, and where do you draw the line?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
But when does free speech become hate speech, and where do you draw the line?

No line needs to be drawn. If you don't like what they say, ignore it. Or deal with it yourself. Don't run to the government pleading them to take away people's civil liberties. "Hate speech" is a term made up to push the agenda for censoring speech people don't find appealing or don't agree with.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

"Hate speech" is a term made up to push the agenda for censoring speech people don't find appealing or don't agree with.

Not necessarily true, Their carrying of signs that say god hates fags is hate speech.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It is hard to win a case for damages by this group when the only damage was done to your feelings. Damages have to be awarded to injured parties but it is just hard to extract a financial claim in a case of hurt feelings. I do despise these attention whore rednecks at Westboro Baptist and would happily shout right back at them if they showed at a funeral I was attending. I like to think of the ADS being deployed at them when they are at a military funeral but I guess that would be wrong as well. Makes for a amusing mental image though.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

So what, this is not europe. The KKK does the same, and it is thier right to bigots, or not. You can not punish someone for a belief...no matter how much you dislike it.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I agree. These viruses are protesting schools now. Not only high schools and colleges, but elementary and middle schools as well. That crosses the line to me. When they are carrying those signs and shouting those obscenities at children, a line has been crossed in to illegality. I am so hoping a parent will have their sorry carcasses arrested for verbally abusing one of those school kids. I also think going at it from the assault angle of the law might fly in court, I don't know. If he'd brought a legal case (assault) first, then the tort case might have turned out differently.

Assault: At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.

I have kids and I know seeing and hearing these festers on the butt of the human race would scare any child, even a preteen. I'm expecting a 17 year old high schooler to punch one of them in the face any day now. I just hope I'm able to see it.

In the meantime, maybe a meteor will fall on their house/church on 12th street. Tornado season is coming up, maybe something will suck them off the face of the earth.

Until then, we just have to put up with these bad apples. I'm glad Anonymous hacked them. I really am.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
After all is said and done, I just hope these wackos realize that there is a pretty good chance that at least some of the people who fought so that they could have that "free speech" , were probably gay.

Amen.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
While I have agree free speech was upheld (thank goodness), I find it despicable they protest the funeral of someone who died to defend that right of protest. Such hypocrosy on the part of that church.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's just been reported that the father now must pay for the Phelps lawsuit and any other court costs. Now ain't that a kick in the mouth ?
This man has very little left to loose. I would be contemplating that real seriously if I were a Phelps for the foreseeable future! Prairie Justice can be swift and deadly! Just sayin'!

Zindo

edit to add: the cost of this trail is reported to be $100,000 +!
edit on 3/2/2011 by ZindoDoone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Fox News host Bill O'Reilly will pick up the legal tab of the father of a fallen U.S. Marine after a judge ruled that he must pay the court costs incurred by the members of the controversial Westboro Baptist Church, whom he sued for protesting his son's funeral.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV

So what, this is not europe. The KKK does the same, and it is thier right to bigots, or not. You can not punish someone for a belief...no matter how much you dislike it.

How is it punishment?

The world I grew up in wasn't like this.
edit on 113131p://bWednesday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Holy crap!!! Bill O'Reilly did something for someone other then himself. I am impressed. Let's just hope he doesn't bomb out on this one like he did on the Bush thing. I still remember when I had some fleeting respect for the man and he said on ABC's Goodmorning America "If there are no weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq I will personally call for the impeachment of George W Bush." Then of course when nothing was found he backtracked and claimed he still didn't see any proof they hadn't been found etc. And yea never heard from him again on the matter.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

That's from the ORIGINAL case he lost. The bill in that case was almost 600,000! This last one on the appeal is another 100,000. Huffington-Puffington is stating an article 5/31/10! Please read the date that was printed! O'Reilly might pick up this last one also though! he was pretty incensed like many here over the antics of these cretins so It's not out of the realm of consideration that he picks up this cost!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

OH , I assumed it was an article related to what he said last night on his show, he offered to pay for it last night.

edit on 043131p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Sorry Amigo, I didn't get to watch his show last night! Well at least this travesty has a bit of silver in it's lining!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

This is exactly what they had in mind. Popular speech doesn't need any protection, despised speech however does. I think it was jefferson that said something along those lines.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join