It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no comet elenin??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFuzzMonster
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

Well, if you're gonna play that game, then I'll play too. Elenin is 6 letters, cut it in half and you've got 2 sets of 3 letters (duh) like Ele--Nin. Now those three letters could be added to like so, Eleven--Nine. Woah! That's the mirror of 9/11! I dunno. I think that these days, ever since Nibiru became popular, people jump on ever space rock they hear about and start shouting, "Nibiru! Hey guys, this is Nibiru!" or something along those lines. I'm not saying that's what you're doing but I tend to be skeptical about celestial bodies on ATS. Maybe you'll prove me wrong though!
Peace!

Same line.....www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Hey thanks!!! Your pretty cool! Most people over look my pathetic cried of "Dial up, can't watch" lol

That synopsis of the video is odd... he discovered this object on such a small telescope... I got an 18 inch telescope... its... its about as useless as a telescope made out of an toliet paper roll... how could such an discovery be made with one that size? well at least my telescope is that way...

...What your saying makes perfect sense to me and is a very very plausible scenario...

I first heard about this whole comet Elenin thing... I though it would be like all other doom and gloom... nothing to it... your info.... gives meaning for me to actual pay attention...

I Star and flagged your OP and I Starred your kindness in explaining the video...

ps... ELEnin is pretty creepy... I actually overlooked it when you mentioned that in your OP and I noticed this a second ago... and when I read your OP again... you had made that point! CREEEPY

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
And what exactly was the payload on the huge rocket the u.s sent into space? explosives perhaps? nukes maybe, do u they think the "comet" is going to come uncomforably close so maybe try use explosives to knock it off its trajectory just like in the movie deep impact?.....

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

hey thanks for the stars and flags, no problem explaining it ..i want everyone to be able to join in the discussion and your right dial up is crap lol.

peace

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hi NWO and the others. I'm gonna be blunt with this: the author of the video is either a complete moron, or he's just pulling our proverbial leg.

If you want to find a comet or asteroid in the sky, you get its precise celestial coordinates from JPL or the Minor Planet Center. If astrolpatroit is as experienced in astronomy as he says, he could have done just that. Instead, he shows us the pictures of the area where Pluto is (which is nowhere near the comet), a wide view of Saturn, and crap knows what else. I told him he's looking in the wrong direction, told him how to find the comet's precise coordinates, and yet he kept looking in the wrong parts of the sky. Finally, he blocked me on Youtube.

So here's the deal: if you want to find Elenin (and have a very good telescope), you go to JPL page for the comet:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
and generate Ephemeris (which is the list of the comet's positions for each day, hour, or even minute)

Or get these positions from the Minor Planet Center:
ubasti.cfa.harvard.edu...
(If you have Google Earth installed, download the KML file from that website and it will show you the comet's positions in Google Sky)

I even made a video for him, showing how to do this: www.youtube.com...

Comet Elenin has been observed by many astronomers, there are some photos and even time-lapse animations of it moving:
www.aerith.net...
www.youtube.com...

This is the website of the observatory that discovered the comet, you can direct your questions to them: spaceobs.org...

I emailed Leonid Elenin about the size of the comet, and he estimates it to be 3-4 km in diameter, relatively small for a long-period comet. (Comet Hale-Bopp that appeared in 1997 is ~60 km).

Oh, and there's nothing odd about the name Leonid Elenin. I'm half-Russian, so I know that Leonid is a common Russian name, and Elenin is a fairly common Russian surname. It means [son] of Elena (Elena being a female Russian name, like Helen in English). Since Elenin is a Russian surname, it has nothing to do with the English words like eleven, event, level, etc. Some people have too much imagination and too much time on their hands.

edit on 2-3-2011 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
As it gets closer the less you will find on its name, but if you know it number designation c/2010x then you can find all the stuff you want like this planetarydefense.blogspot.com... and i can post more on it.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

hey thanks very much for your comment and info, ill enjoy looking through what u have provided star for you

thankyou

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
In addition to wildespace's observations, I'm going to take the liberty of doing my usual physics/math work.

The optical photo we're shown is Pluto, some other circled objects, and one object labelled "Nibiru". Judging by the brightness of the "Nibiru" object, which seems to be, at most, half as bright as Pluto, its apparent magnitude is around 17 or 18. We'll assume it's 17 to give this object the best possible chance of being a brown dwarf.

Now, the typical absolute magnitude of a brown dwarf is in the 15 range, but it is possible for cool brown dwarfs to be as dim as magnitude 19. Let's use magnitude 20 just for the heck of it.

The equation for finding distance from apparent and absolute magnitude is:

m = M + 5(log[d] - 1)

where m = apparent magnitude
M = absolute magnitude
d = distance, in parsecs

Plugging the numbers in, we get:

17 = 20 + 5(log[d] - 1)
0.4 = log[d]
d = 10^0.4 = 2.5118864315 parsecs

This is equal to 518,114 AU.
This is the closest a brown dwarf could possible be to look the way it does in the image.
Obviously, there is no possible way for a brown dwarf this dim to be anywhere near our solar system.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Interesting!

Some fuel for the fire (see my sig)

E xtinction
L evel
E vent
N ibiru
I s
N ear

!!
!!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

we shall see come sep oct, but this is not the only one neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

So the comet is 333.33 miles diameter. or what. 1 km = 1.5 miles 500/1.5= 333.33 repeating. That is equivelant to, hmm i wonder what state is 333 miles across.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It seems people mostly agree that "something" is out there, but do not agree with what "it" is.

With multiple possibilities of what "it" could be, when would we be able to see it with our own eyes. Whether it be by reflection or just the sheer size of it. I know the size of it would make a difference, but from our perspective here on earth, how close depending of the size or other variables would it have to be in order for it to lets say appear to us the size of a dime.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There are many things wrong with that video.

First, the telescope the guy is using is clearly not bigger than 18":

Given the eyepeice says "Meade" on it, it's very likely it's a Meade telescope. And it looks very much like this model, the Meade ETX-70:

Note that this scope has an aperture of 70mm. That's only 2.8 inches. An 18 inch scope would have over 41 times the light-gathering potential. Later in the video, his screen captures actually reference a Meade ETX-70, so we can be pretty sure this is the telescope he's using.

Then he says he's looking near Pluto for Elenin. Assuming this video was made around the date it was posted on YouTube, February 16th, or any time since Elenin was discovered in December, the angular separation between Elenin and Pluto would be over 95 degrees. Literally, they're in opposite sides of the sky. So why is he looking anywhere near Pluto for it?

Then he looks around Saturn. While Elenin would be much closer to Saturn at this time, there are still over 15 degrees of separation between the two, too much to get both in the same frame at such high magnification as used in the video. He's zoomed in close enough to see Titan, which would have about 0.04 degrees of separation from Saturn.

He then shows this image, which makes it look like Pluto, Neptune, and Eris are all close to each other in the sky:

Again, Neptune, Eris, and Pluto are nowhere near each other in the sky at this time. Neptune is separated from Pluto by about 50 degrees. Eris is separated from Pluto by about 105 degrees and separated from Neptune by about 54 degrees.

So, in essence, we can say that this guy is talking complete nonsense. It is literally astronomical gibberish.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
Hi NWO and the others. I'm gonna be blunt with this: the author of the video is either a complete moron, or he's just pulling our proverbial leg.

If you want to find a comet or asteroid in the sky, you get its precise celestial coordinates from JPL or the Minor Planet Center. If astrolpatroit is as experienced in astronomy as he says, he could have done just that. Instead, he shows us the pictures of the area where Pluto is (which is nowhere near the comet), a wide view of Saturn, and crap knows what else. I told him he's looking in the wrong direction, told him how to find the comet's precise coordinates, and yet he kept looking in the wrong parts of the sky. Finally, he blocked me on Youtube.

So here's the deal: if you want to find Elenin (and have a very good telescope), you go to JPL page for the comet:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
and generate Ephemeris (which is the list of the comet's positions for each day, hour, or even minute)

Or get these positions from the Minor Planet Center:
ubasti.cfa.harvard.edu...
(If you have Google Earth installed, download the KML file from that website and it will show you the comet's positions in Google Sky)

I even made a video for him, showing how to do this: www.youtube.com...

Comet Elenin has been observed by many astronomers, there are some photos and even time-lapse animations of it moving:
www.aerith.net...
www.youtube.com...

This is the website of the observatory that discovered the comet, you can direct your questions to them: spaceobs.org...

I emailed Leonid Elenin about the size of the comet, and he estimates it to be 3-4 km in diameter, relatively small for a long-period comet. (Comet Hale-Bopp that appeared in 1997 is ~60 km).

Oh, and there's nothing odd about the name Leonid Elenin. I'm half-Russian, so I know that Leonid is a common Russian name, and Elenin is a fairly common Russian surname. It means [son] of Elena (Elena being a female Russian name, like Helen in English). Since Elenin is a Russian surname, it has nothing to do with the English words like eleven, event, level, etc. Some people have too much imagination and too much time on their hands.

edit on 2-3-2011 by wildespace because: (no reason given)
NWOnoworldorder says 500km and this guy says 3-4 km so what is it. COME ON NOW PEOPLE, SO i am to assume it is between 3-500 km ? WHO, is right, better change your so called facts.
edit on 2-3-2011 by heydude because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Spot on and well summarized, that is indeed a Meade ETX-70. Spotting pluto is well beyond that scopes capabilities. The images he shows in that video are in no way related to the images that scope has the ability to capture. The whole video is fabricated.
Another one for the HOAX bin.

www.scopesnskies.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
Hey fellow ats'ers, well i had the day off today so thought id catch up on some info about comet elenin seeing as its supposed to be breaking through the eleptic plane on the 4th of march, and theres not really that much information regarding comet elenin especially from actual astronomers even nasa they dont tell of its size, i just cant seem to find out its size at all, i mean we have its trajectory, the speed its going but its size still eludes me.

anyway while i was hunting for more information i came across this video which claims that comet elenin..is in fact not a comet at all, now leonid elenin (the man who found the comet) found it on an 18" telescope...

the person who uploaded this video used a bigger and better telescope but just couldnt find comet elenin anywhere, BUT where comet elenin should be...in its place he found a brown dwarf, u couldnt see it until he puts it on infrared then u see its heat signal...now surely a comet u would see it without infrared and u would certainly see its tail, but it was nowehere to be found.

have a look at the video..just scroll down...

www.godlikeproductions.com...

I would embed but havent figured that out lol..if someone could embed for me id be extremely gratefull.

So we have that..then we have hilary clinton having and i quote "An unprecedented meeting" of all the U.S ambassadors..what this meeting was about i have no clue and i doubt any of us will either, but all very odd to say the least.

We also have the possibility or we have had the "heads up" that beetlguise could be on the verge of exploding which will give the illusion of a second sun in our skies...hmmmm really? or could this very well be a cover story for something else that may be appearing in our skies in the near future such as maybe...oh i dunno...a brown dwarf?

Im not claiming to know exactly whats going on here, the name elenin itself is somewhat creepy E.L.E nin

E.L.E extinction level event such as the name of the comet in the movie deep impact where the excellent actor morgan freeman played our president....

These are my thoughts on this whole situation...what are yours?

thankyou.

edit* i found out on a thread on here that its size is around 500km?!?! is that right can anyone verify this?
thread ; www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2-3-2011 by NWOnoworldorder because: (no reason given)

Is that right, can anyone verify this? seems you looking for answers.Go find them. back your story up yourself. Or is that what you wanted, others to find the info. for you.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
astrobiology.nasa.gov...

When comets or asteroids are first discovered, their orbits are quite uncertain; usually it takes several months of observations to firmly establish the orbit. Elenin's perihelion (closest to the Sun) is in early September 2011 at a distance from the Sun of 40-45 million miles. It will be closest to Earth on about 16 October, at a distance of about 21 million miles, which is nearly a hundred times farther than the Moon. The comet never comes close to the Earth, but it is expected to be visible in binoculars during August and October. Part of the Internet chatter concerns its size. Comets are exceedingly small and enveloped in a tenuous cloud of gas and dust, so the only way to be sure of their actual dimensions is to visit with a spacecraft. Half a dozen comets have been the target of spacecraft missions, and all of them (even Comet Halley) are less than 10 km in diameter. There is no reason to think Elenin is any different. This means its mass is less than one billionth the mass of the Earth. Needless to say, we will not be aware of the tiny gravitational pull from Elenin. In spite of these simple facts, some websites (such as godlikeproductions) are making wild claims that Elenin will hit the Earth, or disturb our orbit, or cause tides, or interact with our magnetic field. Such claims are pure fiction. One of the worst examples is a video that someone posted on the NASAbuzzroom website that claims that the magnetic field of the comet will cause a large shift in the rotation axis of the Earth and produce mega-earthquakes on March 15, 2011. It is hard to imagine anyone would take this seriously. Comets don't have magnetic fields, and magnetic fields can't change the rotation axis or cause earthquakes no matter how large they are.

So far this makes the most sense to me.
Some people don't want sensible though, so make of it what you will....
edit on 2-3-2011 by snowspirit because: just because

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
well it is a commit, so one site says any way ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... i will try to find more.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Let me guess...we all stayed at Holiday Inns and that's why we think we're astronemers.I can't believe anything on this site anymore. I wonder if The National Enquirer has a website.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by heydude

if u note at the bottom of my OP i did an edit*...i did find info in a other thread stating that it was 500 km in size...i asked if anyone knew the size...pardon me for thinking this was a site for sharing information, i darent ask again..in case u crop up in my threads giving me a ticking off for not doing research on my own....

heydude : registered the 28/2/11.....hmmm newbie troll?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join