It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Town of Kariz In IRAN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
This is really fascinating and "the oldest feat of human engineering" in a city below the town of Kariz.
Thought others might appreciate this as well, as I stumbled upon it while surfing the net and hadn't ever heard of it before.

The Kish Qanat in Kariz, Iran is more than 2,500 years old and currently has been converted into an underground town at a depth of 16 meters below the surface, with an area of more than 10,000 sq m. The Qanat is an ancient system found in arid regions that brings groundwater from the mountains, following a water-bearing formation (aquifer), and emerge at an oasis, through a series of tunnels. The tunnels perhaps several kilometers long, are roughly horizontal, with a slope. This allows water to drain out to the surface by gravity to lower and flatter agricultural land. Considered to be the oldest feat of human engineering, this system can be found still working in Iran.

The ancient water provision technology can be described as the greatest contribution made by Iranians to hydraulics. This system must have been started at least 5000 years ago in Iran. The water from the qanat flowed in a natural underground stream between a layer of corals on the surface of the island. The drinking water flowed from northeast of the Island to the sea and after 10 centuries it continues to flow.

To view the pics go here...

mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.com...

PS: If someone can embed, I'd much appreciate it, thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

I can't embed for you, but that is a great find.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Very beautiful pictures and definetely a place i would love to visit.

That one is my favourite

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I’m swept of my feet, this place is beautiful, look at stone used, breathtaking and truly enchanting.
Thank you OP.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This region of the world has some of the greatest treasures of humanity but wait till the bunkerbusters hit
this place and the looting begins.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Amazing & beautiful! now if we can get our countries to stop peddling so much crap about the middle east, we'd come across and be privy to so many more awesome sights like this!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Thank you OP i have never seen that before it looks amazing . ( looks like a crypt from oblivion, sorry for a game reference ). In all seriousness those are some really good pictures, S & F from me for this

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

Very nice. The Iranians have much, much to take pride in. This is but an early representation of the startling brilliance that this part of the world has produced for us. Even today....even if that brilliance isn't exposed to us Western peons.

new topics

top topics

join