It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do birds leave before earthquakes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
This is something I am really wondering about and I can't come up with any answers.

I can understand why earthbound animals leave - but birds are in the air, so they won't be hurt.

Is there some poison in the air after an earthquake?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I always believed that when 2 plates shift it would displace the air like an explosion would.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Just my opinion....so dont hate on me..

Many many species of birds have nerves in the legs that allow them to feel/hear worms move in the ground, from a fairly great distance.
That said, birds are not aorborn 100% of the time....so its my theory, if they can feel/hear well enough to feed on insects that are not visible...it makes sence to me they would sence hear/feel minor signs way before humans.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Even from that deep down - and no-one noticed?

Maybe the animals and the birds did.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday

Just my opinion....so dont hate on me..

Many many species of birds have nerves in the legs that allow them to feel/hear worms move in the ground, from a fairly great distance.
That said, birds are not aorborn 100% of the time....so its my theory, if they can feel/hear well enough to feed on insects that are not visible...it makes sence to me they would sence hear/feel minor signs way before humans.

That's a good idea. Maybe weird vibrations mess with their sense of direction, too. I've also heard of other animals including pets acting strangely before an earthquake.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Thanks, Doc,

Interesting fact about their legs - but they can still fly away - and not get damaged - so why do they hate quake areas?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I dont have a good answer all I can do is give my best guess...
To me its like a malfunctioning stop light....would you stand in the intersection? why would birds stay in an area of danger...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
All animals sense danger before they occur. Keep in mind that when we humans, hear the bird singing we automatically relax. When the birds stop their singing it is when we start worrying.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I always wondered this but just put it down to an animals instinct, just like how ants always seem to invade my house before the rain comes. Maybe the birds have super hearing that can hear a certain frequency or something I dont know.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I truly believe it is possible that animals may have other senses that we do not. They seem more in-tune with the planet than us.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
First we need to establish that birds do, in fact,flee before an EQ. If they do, then this should be an obvious early warning method that scientists must have overlooked since they still can not predict an EQ.

That being said, IF birds do flee before an EQ, then it is likely due to geomagnetic disturbances, as birds (migratory birds anyhow) can see magnetic fields. Sensing disturbances in the magnetic field could perhaps cause birds to flee to areas where the magnetic field is not distorted.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Because they can feel the earth moveing before humans can. same as cats and dogs they get anxious just before an earthquake

new topics

top topics

join