It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Prices Have Gone Up In Ontario, Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Today i have gone shopping for food in our major grocery retail Highland farms, and guess what the food prices have jumped higher, i have noticed apples in a bag, now cost around 4 dollars plus 5 dollars with the canadian taxes, and also i have noticed people were less at the grocery due to the high food prices, and yes even the green friendly vegetables cost alot more then they were last year.

I wonder when will other Canadians on ATS here noticed it? i thought the prices were pretty much ridiculously.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I've noticed. Starving Canadian here.

I spent $2 on 1 pepper today at the store. I'm also noticing that volume size of containers are getting smaller while the prices go up.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Today i have gone shopping for food in our major grocery retail Highland farms, and guess what the food prices have jumped higher, i have noticed apples in a bag, now cost around 4 dollars plus 5 dollars with the canadian taxes, and also i have noticed people were less at the grocery due to the high food prices, and yes even the green friendly vegetables cost alot more then they were last year.

I wonder when will other Canadians on ATS here noticed it? i thought the prices were pretty much ridiculously.

In British Columbia, Canada, I noticed a gallon of milk go up from $4.79 a 2 months ago to $5.19 for that same gallon of milk this past week. Do the math and you will see a price increase of 8.35%. Should the trend continue at about 4% a month...in a years' time that gallon of milk will cost $7.00 CDN.

It looks like we're going to have to buy our own dairy cows and produce our own milk in the future!

edit on 2-3-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The same here in the UK.

The press however are saying that our large supermarkets are simply ripping us off and just profiteering. Here also the petrol / gas prices are rises faster than anywhere else with out government rubbing their hands in gleed as 70% of UK gas prices are TAX! This is passed onto the food prices by the supermarkets.

We are all being robbed left right and centre! Was there not a thread on ATS last week on how Canadian Islanders were being charged $7 dollars for a bag of breaded frozen chicken. Crazy world run by insane people!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I think maybe you are lucky to be in Canada.

Here in NZ our food prices have gone through the roof in the last year and now we are about to enter a double recession because of the devestating Christchurch earthquakes, so people will have even less money, and all the time food and petrol is going up up up.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
So Canadians eh whose up for our own little style protest? i think its time, after all while our local news media sadly are becoming like the mainstream news, the local news dont talk the issue of our rising prices at our stores rather they talk about the William and Kate.

I guess us Canadians dying off food doesn't ring a bell to the local news channels.

So when should we rise up? and also why are canadians still loving the queen? what good did she do to canada anyway? she doesn't even care about us people.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I've been gearing for a good protest. The HST is the biggest crock. In BC, we were forced to take it and now we are in an uphill battle to try and overturn it.

Canadians need to rise up, we have become far too complacent.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Well as much as I hate to say it complacency is not just a Canadian problem.... we here in the US are suffering from it as well and I've been wondering when, either Canada or the US, will finally reach the pressure point that we start to see some kind of protests starting up.

I cannot speak for Canadian food prices (even though I can see Toronto on a clear day across the lake) but here in the US I've seen a steady march of increasing food prices too. In order to combat this I've taken to growing my own garden and supplimenting what I cannot grow with items from the farmers markets when in season. I have also become 'friends' with local farmers who raise beef, pigs and chickens for food consumption and freeze/home can all that I have in excess. I've been doing that for some time now so that fortunately I have a nice little pantry saved up which is now helping to keep my food costs to a minimum. But that still has me going to the market for things like milk, butter and eggs....and let me tell you it's nothing less than highway robbery with the prices they are charging. The thing is, I just don't see it easing up any either. With all the unrest in the ME and oil prices continuing to go up and up, this will be used as an excuse for increasing food prices even more due to increased transportation costs.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

I've noticed. Starving Canadian here.

I spent $2 on 1 pepper today at the store. I'm also noticing that volume size of containers are getting smaller while the prices go up.

Good catch, if you look you will see the price of many items has gone up AND the weight/ qty has been reduced, most recently dog food has been hit by this trend.
First the knife goes in, then they twist it for you.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

BP recently posted a 34 billion dollar quarterly profit, that's BILLIONS in a single quarter. I read last year that the posted profits were "obscene" and yet it continues. Do you think maybe they are over charging?

new topics

top topics

join