It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Powerful Optical Microscope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
At the moment I am studying Biological and Medical Research and doing a course in Microbiology so I was thrilled to read this, this morning.

World's Most Powerful Optical Microscope: Could 'Solve the Cause of Virusses'

Scientists have created a microscope which shatters the record for the smallest object the eye can see. With this microscope they can see 20 times smaller under normal lights. This is actually beyond the theoretical limits of optical microscopy.

Electron microscopes can see much smaller objects, however they can only show the objects surface and not the inside structures. Also you're not able to see living specimens with electron microscopes due to the treatment the specimens have to undergo before they can be seen under an EM.

With this new optical microscope they will be able to see living cells at scales never seen before allowing them to be able, amongst other things, to examine "living" virusses!
edit on 2-3-2011 by Anodyne because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-3-2011 by Anodyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
This is amazing,

I only wish they had a diagram or something to explain how it works, or have explained further what the
"microsphere" actually is.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Here's a small part of an article and an image I found describing the workings of the microscope more technically.

Optical Imaging at 50nm

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Anodyne

Thanks for this, S & F.

Sounds like a very exciting new tool for biology in general and medical research specifically.

top topics

join