It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks, 'the Internet' among record number of Nobel Peace Prize nominees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

WikiLeaks, 'the Internet' among record number of Nobel Peace Prize nominees

www.rawstory.com

OSLO (Reuters) - Anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks, the Internet and a Russian human rights activist are among a record 241 nominations for the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said on Tuesday that the 2011 field includes 53 organizations and tops last year's 237 nominees.

Known nominees also include Afghan rights advocate Sima Samar, the European Union, former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, Cuban dissident Oswaldo Paya Sardinas, Russian rights group Memorial and its founder Svetlana Gannushkina.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-3-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well, after handing the prize over to M.I.C. stooge OBushma, I'm not holding my breath that any nominee actually WORTHY of the "prize" will actually get chosen.

But even the choice of wikileaks, in its current dynamic---Is it actually creating peace, or is it actually stirring hornet's nests and getting a lot of folks hurt in these uprisings and upheavals? I wouldn't say it's anything LESS deserving than our current war EXPANDING potus, but for some reason, and I guess I am old-fashioned and out of touch with the qualifications---But I always picture someone like Ghandi or MLK who ardently speak out against war and violence of any kind?

Interesting that the social networks are getting nominations as well...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

On past form shouldn't it go to Gaddafi??

I and I think many others, have lost respect for nobel prizes...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to any Nobel Prize that doesn't have to do with science. Especially the "Peace-Prize". Obama winning the peace prize just goes to show how ridiculous it really has become- Hell, if they were around in the mid-30s, Hitler would have gotten the Peace Award and Stalin the economic award.

That being said, I do think that the internet has been a vital role in the promotion and spread of peace- If it weren't for the internet, the mid-east protests probably wouldn't have happened. I'm not too sure about wikileaks though... whether or not it has caused any real peace or geo-political changes remains yet to be seen.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

I'm not too sure about wikileaks though... whether or not it has caused any real peace or geo-political changes remains yet to be seen.

Why does that matter?
Obama got his for what he had not done yet, and probably never will...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

It's not creating peace atm. It is the best attempt to do that thought. Those who dont want peace are just too powerfull. Just look how they've used media to turn the issues that are against them around so the messenger is the bad guy.
edit on 2/3/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

The Noble Peace Prize has become a joke. Lets face it, Barack Obama got it simply for being the first black president, and before anyone calls me a racist, i don't give a damn what colour someone is i'm just making the very obvious point that a black man becoming president was a big thing in the USA and so the Noble prize reflected that. So no i don't hold out much hope for whoever it goes to, but in the end the prize has been undermined. Off the top of my head i can think of at least 8 people who deserved it more than Obama in that year.

But no i don't think wikileaks should get it either. While i support the actions of wikileaks, believing that open democracy is fundamental for a stable and free society, the actions of wikileaks have not lead to peace. Maybe in the end an opening of government will grant us peace, but convincing people to vote more carefully and inform themselves would be the peaceful way to do things. Although it's not very effective to do that i know.

Someone promoting a non-violent revolution should get a peace prize, wikileaks is more like a guerilla army.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Wikileaks eh. Whats the bet another CIA asset wins the nomination this year?

edit: However, to give the internet the 'nobel peace prize' would be novel. "Dear humble series of tubes, please accept this award for services to humanity. All your base are belong to us."
edit on 2/3/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
.... and Dick Cheney hasn't been nominated?

That is sooooooooo not fair. He should get the Nobel Peace Prize, so he can have a matching set that goes with his 'Defender Of The Constituion' award

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I can't believe Kohl is on that list.
If anything he should be in jail.

new topics

top topics

join