It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The yin and yang of the ocean, we bet you've never seen this before!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Wow such a simple bit of physics leads to something so beautiful.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Awesome picture, I was unable to find any other pictures of this "Halocline". S+F for you.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by soaringhawk
This has nothing to do with the real meaning of yin and yang. Don't misuse words.

Who invited Buzz Killington to the party?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I always thought how does the water know not to go into the other part....I thought it could only be something like this but I didn't think it was actually possible.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Excellent find
Almost too good to be true.
One reason that nature is beautiful, is that nothing has rectangular shape. Smooth transitions and curves are just more... natural

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Very nice pic!
Just imagine swimming there: on the salt waterside you will be floating easier then on the freshwater side.
As a diver I have seen this sort of phenomena also horizontal under water: thermoclines.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ahamarlin

You should consider mixing photography with your diving..Would love to see what you experience down there.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Great pic op! I think it is amazing how much our oceans are still teaching us. How there is still so much that is unknown about it.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
thats something i would like to see

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Good thread,but you loose the bet.In the sleepy little Victorian (Aust) town of Lakes entrance salt water flowing in from the heads meets the fresh water that fills the lakes,yes it looks cool,the more wind and chop on the water the more foam along the line where they meet.
Fresh water rivers that run into the ocean/sea also cause a similar phenomena but on a much smaller scale best seen by air.
One thing about your pic is that it is on a much grander scale,quite a large section of water which enhances the beauty of the phenomena.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The wonders of nature never cease.

No doubt some will say its caused by an alien laser beam...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
VERY COOL
thanks

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel
picture of an undersea lake:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/177249543470.jpg[/atsimg]

I was going to mention that too Naruto, underwater lakes amazing things!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is pretty cool but at the same time kind of scary. I have never seen this in the open ocean before. I have only seen this where fresh water meets salt water at area's where the water is already brackish. What are the implications of all the ice melt mixing with the oceans? The main problem will be the oceanic conveyor belt which brings warm water to the poles and exchanges with the cool water. The warmer water stay's up top while the colder water sinks. If the cold water outweighs the warm water in density that action of water transferring will cease and we could see a mini ice age. The picture OP has shown usually happens closer to land, not out at sea.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Have seen the thermoclines while diving, but that is more so a heat difference... For those that have not been diving, looks like the waves of heat you see on a long stretch of road, just underwater. Crazy part is they are pretty large temperature differences as well, enough to crack your nasal cavity.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

It was mentioned in the Quran 1400+ years ago that salt and fresh ocean water don't mix. Feel free to look it up.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
that picture is one of something called the "rip" which forms along the gulf coast near shore during the summer months, it is always out there, but during the summer months it can come to within 7 miles of shore in certain areas. It is constantly on the move once it forms usually southbound. It is a sight to see in person. It kinda looks like it is tumbling, and for any fisherman out there, dont ever pass up a chance to fish it- that would be a big mistake

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The same kinda of phenomenon seen from an interesting angle

(starts @ 4:40)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMSEEKER

Wow...that was awesome!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join