It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crysis 2 PC demo is out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
And my mind is blown. Gameplay is somewhat similar to Call of Duty at times, but the suit powers means there's far more options for strategy than CoD ever had. Visually, Crysis looks terrible compared to this. I was completely blown away. Not only that, but I was able to manage 25-30 fps on max settings with my laptop's HD5870m and i5 450m at 1680x1050, so it appears to be extremely well optimized compared to almost every other recent game too.

Screenshots are here.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
friend of mine preordered crysis 2 collector's edition for me. looks hot, but everyone was complaining it'd be too much like call of duty, and i hate call of duty so...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WilliamRikeronaSegway
friend of mine preordered crysis 2 collector's edition for me. looks hot, but everyone was complaining it'd be too much like call of duty, and i hate call of duty so...

There's elements of gameplay that remind me of CoD, but overall it has a much better experience imo. Definetly not a game I would ever play on a console though, especially knowing it can't look half as good as it does on PC.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

i disliked CoD, the gameplay just wasn't something i liked enough to play, considering how everyone talked about how amazing the series was i was expecting something more. wasn't bad, mind you, just didn't think it was a masterpiece. crysis was alright, and i'm currently trying to DL the crysis 2 demo to see how it is. if it doesn't work i'll live off of new vegas until it comes out, i suppose.

and console games are mostly terrible when it comes to controls and whatnot. case in point, skyrim's getting released for console and ported to PC :|
edit on 1-3-2011 by WilliamRikeronaSegway because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WilliamRikeronaSegway

Uuhg...I absolutely hate console ports to PC. Why is it treated like a second hand system? And it's funny how you mostly only hear about PC games being pirated when console games are pirated just as much...I guess that just gives them a reason to only make console games.

I hate it when developers that were originally PC game developers (Monolith) put out games only for consoles (Condemned 2).

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DanDeath

I don't know if Crysis 2 was just ported, but it at least feels pretty good on PC.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Nah, those guys know what's what
They just had to dumb down the graphics a bit for the console versions.

I wish I had my gaming computer with me

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I just found out that it's only using Dx9 for now, so newer cards will likely see a bit of a performance gain after that's patched in. I can hardly imagine what it'll look like with Dx11 instead of 9.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

What really? Wow. They really took a step backwards. It definitely won't look better than the first Crysis. I just hope it's fun.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Oh wait...it's just a rumor...for now haha. But it also said that DirectX 11 support will be patched in later.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Honestly, it's often rather hard to see the difference between Dx9 and Dx11 if the developer is good at graphics, which Crytek most definetly is. It definetly looks better than Warhead maxed out, including Warhead settings not available through the in-game options. I can't wait to see what people will manage with the full release assuming we get more freedom over settings.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Well I can see the difference...
lol. The first thing I check when I play a new game, is the environment...especially the grass. Because even still, there are some new games that have that crappy 2d sprite grass, Far Cry 2 had it, which I don't understand why, since the Dunia engine is based on the CryEngine, and I don't remember any 2d sprite grass in Crysis.

But anyway, that shouldn't matter much in Crysis 2 since it takes place in a city. I'll probably get good frame rates since I don't have a big monitor and I don't set the resolution up too high

EDIT: Hmm...didn't say which CryEngine though, it would be odd if they based it off the first one. But then again, there are some new games in past few years that have came out using the Unreal 2/2.5 engine. DNF uses a heavily modified Unreal 2.5 engine to the point where the only thing left from the Unreal engine itself is the networking

edit on 2-3-2011 by DanDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Maybe you'll see the difference between Dx9 and Dx10/11 if you're looking for it, but skilled devs can make Dx9 look nearly as good as Dx10/11 since it's been out so much longer and they've had so much more time to work with it. It's not like you're going to notice the grass while in the middle of a firefight anyways

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Sweet i know what i'm doing when i go home.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well, after spending more time with the Crysis 2 demo I've decided there's no way in hell I'm buying it when it comes out. At first I was mostly like "Oooh shiny!" but in reality the game's almost entirely relying on post processing to look good. Motion blur is completely overdone to the point where even your own gun blurs from slowly looking around. Lighting is entirely too much glare, everywhere you look. The suit powers could have been good, but really amount to nothing but a rip-off of CoD's perks. There's very little choice in settings, giving only 3 levels for graphics. No fine tuning at all. After starting up the game on PC you're greeted with a message saying "Press start to begin." Adjusting brightness tells you to adjust your TV's brightness. It sounds dramatic, but Crytek has betrayed their millions of loyal PC customers.

All in all, Crysis and Crysis Warhead are both visually superior to Crysis 2 and I think the resources they put towards development for consoles is to blame for that. Here's a video I recorded just last night of Warhead, it looks better and I get higher framerate while recording than I do with the Crysis 2 demo.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Yeah I heard about that...shame on them to betray their PC customers and having a console port blah
makes me worried when the developers for STALKER make STALKER 2, since it's going to be on console too.

I don't think I'll be buying Crysis 2 either. Christ...I'm sick and tired of console ports. I was afraid of the quality Crysis 2 was going to be when it was announced it would be on consoles. Should have just stayed a PC only game.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I'm willing to bet their next game will be PC-only since now they have a terrible game on 3 platforms instead of a good game on one platform.

top topics

join